Responding to posts

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Responding to posts

Reading through the forum section there appears to be a considerable number of posts where someone wants to respond to a previous post, but simply ends up going on the end of the reply list without actually bringing their post to the attention of the person they are responding too....Phew, that was a bit long winded!!!

When you want to respond, hit the red 'reply' tab to the post you want to respond to, and first click the @ symbol and a drop down box will appear with a couple of previous post alternatives in that conversation stream...one of which will be the post you want to respond too. Just click the author you wish to respond to.

For all the seasoned forum users this is all 'old hat' but it took me a few days to work it out.....and I don't think I am dumb!!!! although others I know may have a contrary opinion...Cheers...Rob 

PS: when I tried to post this comment in another section of the forum it came up under some entirely different topic....so mabye I am that dumb!!

23 Replies 23

@Dave-and-Deb0 The silent stocking stalker!!

@Clare0, that's scary. I picked some fights with strange hosts in the forum, even those "hosts" without a listing and offering strange services, got some threats and remarks on my listing beside the insults. But no measurable increase in view. 

A complex password is a good thing. 

Good luck !

I am curious @Helga0 if you were able to flag the posts and if so, did Airbnb do anything about it?  Also, we miss you @Helga0 on the Facebook group so hopefully you will consider returning.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0, I flagged a few on the anectodes forum, but I have pretty thick skin. A few got the threads removed, mostly when they were insulting everyone and got flagged by several persons via the profile flag. Those profiles stay, but they don't get bookings over time, maybe because they are just crazy and insult their potential guests too.

I got one person removed in record time with a message from trust and security team, that it was a phishing attack. He contacted me via a fake inquiry, pretended to be a journalist, for channel 2 of French state TV. Not very likely, maybe a freelance journalist for an obscure Internet TV. He tried to get offline contact, but did not try to smuggle a link through the censor. 

I reportet some service spams but they were not always removed or not so fast (I don't check them regularly either). 

I read somewhere that the spam flag prevents further messages to go through, but not sure where, maybe it was only an opinion. But it seems to work.

Over the years I had a few guests who turned ugly when they canceled after check-in and did not get refund or caused damage and had to pay. In those cases, CS was very helpful and as soon  as I told them, they blocked all further messages (and handled further details in case of need)

These profiles stay, checked 2 of my 3 really ugly ones, no more reviews on them. (Never checked the guest causing the big flood, 18 month later, I still can't) 

Maybe in February for the FB group. When I'm in Sète where they fold back the walkways before dusk in winter 😉

If I get my accounting done till then ;-(

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dave-and-Deb0  @Clare0  @Lizzie Hi Dave...Yeah of course I do know that you are not Airnb employees but Dave you might just as well be with all your knowledge. Hey I had my listing de-acvtivated the day before yesterday. I think I have established that it was not a 'Glitch' in the system and that it was physically de-activated....Maybe I have trodden on some toes somewhere!

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to track where the de-lsting came from but, others I know do!! Thank you once again for your advice. I am taking steps to minimise the chance of it happening again...and if it does, we'll be ready...enough said!...... Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4, I think you said you use only the computer. But do you have the app installed somewhere? On the app it is really easy to hide and reappear a listing. I had a bug once with a new listing, that I created on the computer but could not get it to show. On the phone app, it showed already whilst I was still battling with the computer, but as hidden. Tapped it once with a lucky touch and it appeared.

Tried it again, to be sure: No question asked "Are you sure to hide / reappear the listing?" 

Even grabbing for the phone, when it is open on the right page, you could hide your listing. I did not try Delist, but it looked to work similiar. 

(Phone apps are dangerous: my parrot posted a word on a forum yesterday by walking over the screen. He sent so many empty letters to the editor on an Austrian newspaper by clicking with his tongue, that they even disabled my automatic posting, asking for a code every time)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Helga0 Hi there Helga....Bloody age!!! I am not of the computer generation despite the fact a lot of my life seems to revolve around it.

Yeah I know about scams, phishing and that there are some wierd things going on with the internet but, its all foreign me!!! I do have close contact with a young computer devotee who has forgotten more than I will ever learn. I mentioned that I was having......no, I won't go into that that at this stage, but rest assured Helga help is on the right path.

When, or if this happens again I will gladly share the whole chain of events with the community so we can better protect ourselves

Cheers Rob

Incidentally...this has nothing to do with it but, it does pose implications. There was a post last night from a woman in Portugal requesting information on why she had not achieved superhost status. It was in English on our page, although her question came across as if she had used a internet translator! It sounded just a bit disjointed....as translators do. When I tried to respond to her, my post was not accepted because the site she came onto our community page was the Portuguese one! So I responded in Portuguese to her problem and it went through!!!

Hi @Robin, I saw your post about the young portuguese. The fact is on spanish, french and portuguese CC there is few activity and moderators gave us direct links to contact the other communities. Many non english speaker post on english CC because they only have access to this one. Many times @Lizzy change their post to their own CC.
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Anonymous   Thanks Olivier, I didn't know if I was doing the wrong think by stepping into another language community forum...

I hope you are handling the cold OK over there at the moment...that French coast is one of my favourite parts of the world!

Cheers....Rob