Responding to posts

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Responding to posts

Reading through the forum section there appears to be a considerable number of posts where someone wants to respond to a previous post, but simply ends up going on the end of the reply list without actually bringing their post to the attention of the person they are responding too....Phew, that was a bit long winded!!!

When you want to respond, hit the red 'reply' tab to the post you want to respond to, and first click the @ symbol and a drop down box will appear with a couple of previous post alternatives in that conversation stream...one of which will be the post you want to respond too. Just click the author you wish to respond to.

For all the seasoned forum users this is all 'old hat' but it took me a few days to work it out.....and I don't think I am dumb!!!! although others I know may have a contrary opinion...Cheers...Rob 

PS: when I tried to post this comment in another section of the forum it came up under some entirely different topic....so mabye I am that dumb!!

23 Replies 23
Linda0
Level 10
Spring, TX

@Robin - some of us forget to add the @ symbol to direct the response to a particular individual.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bravo!
Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@ Robin and @@Linda when I started doing @ someone answered " this doesn't accept @ yet" don't know why

@Robin, I agree with you but when using the app on smartphone you never know how to reach the correct @. On laptop when you first write @ the site will automatically let you choose the users @name who do the post or reply to it. On the app it doesn't happen. I just suppose that adding a @ before the name it will be ok but many times it's not.
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Look, I am sorry folks....I am an old dog, and we have an expression....'You can't teach an old dog new tricks' !!! Yes I should have thought not everyone will be using a PC in their man cave up the back of the block! It is now apparent to me that the @ symbol will mean different things on different apps! Let me clarify what I said by saying, I have nothing to do with Apple or smartphone.....or for that matter 99.9% of apps! I just hammer away like 'woody woodpecker' on my Windows 7 PC and the information I gave is related to those of you who, like me, try to resist the thrust of progress and continue to use the same platform I do. 

I am sorry if I created any confusion.....sometimes I think I have outlived my usefulness!!!! Cheers....Rob

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Robin4,

Thanks so much for starting this topic thread. This is really useful and I agree it isn't as obvious to do as it should be. This is something that I am keen to make more of the Community aware of within the Center and also I am pushing to make features like this a tad more user-friendly as well. This is only the first stage of the new Community Center and our tech team are busy working on lots of feedback which is great and exciting as well, so watch this space...!

@Anonymous, we have been experiencing a problem with this function on the app, which the tech team are aware of so I am hopeful this will be working better soon.

Thanks again. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi @Lizzie, I am new to all of this Lizzie, but I am having amazing success with Airbnb and I can't sing the praises of this patform highly enough. Although my experience is limited I want to share it because, I have gone from starting up to 'Superhost' in the space of 6 months....so, there is something there that is working! And if I can help others to achieve similar success with what I can offer, then great. I think nothing speaks louder than reviews, and I am bloody proud of mine......

Keep up the good work Lizzie....you do your bit...... and I will do mine!

Cheers....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie Hi again Lizzie. Can I ask a question of you? Who has the power to  remove a listing? This morning I logged on as per usual and accepted a booking for the end of this month.....everything very normal!

This afternoon I used my shortcut to log on again and my listing had disappeared!!! On the top of the general area page in a blue line was the comment. 'Your Property has been de-listed' and there was no evidence of it anywhere. I of course could not get onto my profile because it didn't exist any more, so I phoned the Sydney office and spoke to an incredibly helpful man called Jay R and he was able to bring up my property and told me I must have delisted the property......which I certainly didn't do. He has re-ctivated it but Lizzie, how is it possible that my property can be de-listed by someone else....or is this a glitch in the system we will have to cope with from time to time...

Have a look into it if you have time and see if you can see what might have happened.... Cheers....Rob

PS: If it's not your area Lizzie can you forward it on to Deb & Dave or Clare to see if they can shed some light on it!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Robin4,

Thanks for this. That does sound strange about your listing, to reasure you if I can, I haven't heard of this happening before so it is certainly nothing to expect will happen in the future. I will relate this back to the relevant Airbnb team, so they are aware of this, so thank you for letting me know.

Just including @Dave-and-Deb0 and @Clare0 into this discussion as asked.

Happy hosting and posting 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi @Robin4,

Sounds like a glitch to me or someone accessed your account.  I would make sure to reset your passwords.

I would also make sure you "turn on login notifications".  If they are turned on, see if anyone logged into your account from a certain browser.

security.png

You have probably already read this How To post but if not, you might want to check it out: https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Protect-Your-Airbnb-Account-Two-Settings-You-Should-Enab...

Thank you @Robin4 for your trust in Clare and I but I just want to let you know that we ARE NOT employees of Airbnb although I am sure my wife would love to live in San Francisco!

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Robin4: All very good advice, as always from @Dave-and-Deb0@Lizzie.  I would only add that scammers are very, very, good at sending emails that look like they are from Airbnb, but are actually phishing for your account information.  Just saw a post on Airbnb's US facebook page about someone receiving an inquiry request.  Not through regular messaging, but straight email.  In this case the host asked Airbnb before responding...whew!

All users, hosts and guests alike, need to be aware and skeptical about emails and other communications that don't seem right.  Host accounts are hijacked on a daily basis...and that leads to fake listings where guests are lured to pay offsite costing $1,000's.  Two days ago had correspondance  with a fellow who lost $1,370.  

It is the wild west out there in internet-land so a healthy dose of skepticism is a very, very good thing. 

Ok, @Lizzie@Dave-and-Deb0, just to drive my point home, yesterday I responded to a question about searches for new lising (what else is new?) here in the Community Center. The host picture was that of a very drab woman.  What caught my attention is that her listings (3) showed a wish list listing that I had flagged the day before as being a scam. (I recognized the photo!)  I responded to her question and warned her of her wish list scam and, foolishly, told her that I had flagged it as such.  

I copied the link to some fellow hosts I know, and lo and behold, when bringing it up, the host picture changed to a guy! Hmm, I wrote down "her" listing numbers and today they are all gone. Her listings were in France, but the search took me to Japanese listings, probably where the original host is from.  Don't know if they were taken down by the "host" or were removed by Airbnb.  Probably the latter since she got tipped off about the scam wish list. 

My listing views really jumped yesterday...don't know who is looking but I'm now on Def-Con 5 high alert! Going to change my password for the third time. 

Moral of the story?  Don't even trust who is posting here and don't reveal details about your account.  My only concern is that my profile is here for all to see.  

AGGH!

Clare

@Clare0,

I am stalking you! ):--  

I hope you don't actually believe it but that is pretty scary.  Maybe I should change my password.

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Dave-and-Deb0, you mean stalking? 🙂  I'm probably just being paranoid, but it never hurts to change one's password from time to time.  What scares me is that these people are lurking in the Community Center..and why wouldn't they?  If they could scam a host or a guest here (probably pretty difficult) it could reap them tens of thousands of dollars down the road in scam listings. 

Yes @Clare0, I am stalking you wearing my stockings.  Thank goodness I was able to fix it before the 45 minutes passed.

David