Response Rate

Response Rate

I have gotten "dinged" a few times in my response rate because I did not accept or decline an inquiry when the guest was simply asking a question (ie: how far are you from downtown?, etc).  They did not want to reserve until they found out the answer. How can this be changed?  Ususally, I answer questions from potential guests by replying through email rather than logging in to the website.  Does this make a difference?  I'm getting tired of getting scolded by airbnb for not responding, when I have actually responded to every inquiry (but not accepted or declined), because the guest wants to make sure it is a good fit before reserving.  Any suggestions or thoughts?

3 Replies 3
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If you are ever unsure about wether you have done all you need to do, do to the dashboard and it will tell you what's pending. You need to accept/decline, if you cannot because guests have not yet answered your questions just hit decline, telling guests that you are happy to acept once they have done whatever it is you need them to do. A decline is better than a not respond.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Lorrie-And-Bob0 Always use the web site to reply. Check the dashboard frequently for any countdown timers you need to respond to.

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

I've been hosting on airbnb five years. Here are my two tips:

1) I always respond to guest inquiries promtly and engage them in a conversation about their trip and needs and such (through the airbnb message thread). More importantly, I pre-approve almost every inquiry within 24 hours. It does not preclude another guest from booking and it expires 24 hours after you make the pre-approval. If the guest is not ready to commit that's fine, they can ignore your pre-approval. You can send another pre-approval when they are ready or send them a special offer. On very rare occasion I will decline for cause. 

2) I mainly reply to guests through the airbnb message system ONLINE. Even though all the emails say "Respond to (guest x) by replying directly to this email", I have read many reports where hosts replied by answering the email and the message did not go through. It has happened to me. Then we get dinged for poor response rate. If you want to reply to a new guest inquiry quickly, while you only have access to your smartphone or pad, go ahead BUT when you get back to your compiter (and always within 24 hours) check the message thread and make sure the response shows as sent. If your dashboard still shows that warning "You have 11 hours left to respond to guest X" then respond again.