Restricting guests

Robert4846
Level 1
Houston, TX

Restricting guests

Hi, I'm in Houston and COVID has really taken off here.  Is it acceptable for me to refuse accommodation (entire place) to any high risk individuals such as doctors, nurses, EMTs, firefighters, or police?  If I can't, I'll just pull the listing and look for a long term renter on another platform.  It seems like these individuals would be better off in hotels where they can pass off the disease to others like them instead of my wife and I who clean the place.

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robert4846  The people you mention are the very people who are likely to be taking the virus seriously and taking as many precautions as possible. Are you not aware that there are tons of asymptomatic people out there causing many of the infections? Any guest could be COVID positive. And in Houston right now, you should consider that everyone is a potential vector. So either clean in a way so as to keep yourselves safe, or don't accept guests until things turn for the better.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What a thoughtful post, @Robert4846. You speak so kindly about the 'individuals' who are saving lives every day.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robert4846 To do anything that doesn't help these types of people is just plain wrong. If there is any hope for the USA in dealing with Covid you need to help not hinder the emergency services. 

Your suggested action would be nothing short of discriminatory so I think, unless you can be persuaded otherwise, you should switch to long term renting.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Robert4846  it is scary how u perceive the people who work to save other people life. I would accept with open arm any of the people you describe for the sacrifice they are making and many of them paying with their life.

Your post is scary, in Europe we clap our hand to thank them, shop for them, anything we could do to help them during this difficult time.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Robert4846 ,  Your original premise comes off as being an "Ist" of a different color, anti emergency responder, Im pretty sure and will assume that wasn't your intent.   The first consideration for hosting or not is can your place rent without exposing you and your family to Covid during and after a booking?   If not, you should close your doors until your ready to host everyone you would have before C19 came to town.  As far as clean-outs go, there are ways to virtually eliminate transmission risks and they should be used with all clean-outs regardless of who your hosting.   Just my opinion, stay well,JR