Restricting the minimum number of guests

Chloe3
Level 2
Alicante, Spain

Restricting the minimum number of guests

Hi Everyone,

I manage a number of apartments in Spain but have one that only sleeps up to 4 people (two double bedrooms) but we are getting lots of bookings for just 2 people meaning they are using the double beds (max laundry for us everytime) but we dont seem to be getting bookings for more than this and i was thinking of changing the minimum to 4 or perhaps three people.  I have only done this for my larger places that sleep 10 people for obvious reasons.  Any one found that this reduced bookings or is it a good idea for a smaller place like this?

Any ideas would be good!

Thanks

Chloe

Spain

12 Replies 12
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Assuming you price for the flat why does it matter to you if one person books it or 4?

David

I price the flat for a minimum base rate and then additional price per person after the first two.  This means that you get a decent price for two but more if more book and it makes it cheaper for them if there are more in the group. But it i price it for 4 people minimum sure 2 can book it and pay more, its a nice flat with terrace etc. But it may cut a lot of people out that are searching.  

I need to generate more rent for the owner hence my question.  Do you have any experience with this?

Perhaps the price makes it attractive for 2, less so for 4.

Only you can know what your market will stand. If you price it as it now is just for 4 then all those 2 booking will be lost.

David

Thanks David. 

I was hoping to get someone elses experience with the same situation tho.

@Chloe3

At this time of year when mostly retired couples have the opportunity to travel, I honestly think setting a minimum of 4 would reduce bookings.  In high season and during school holidays it might work.

What about locking off the second bedroom or remove the bedding on the second bed ? You would of course have to inform  your potential guests before they commit to book.  Many (like myself) book 2 bed places even though we are a couple - for personal reasons we prefer separate sleeping arrangements.

As a host I have recently changed from a 1 bed to a two bed and I set an attractive price for two.  I have gotten quite a few bookings from two colleagues, mother and son, two friends etc.  All needing separate sleeping arrangements.  

Louise87
Level 2
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom

Hi Chloe

I know exactly what you mean

My costs are relational to the number of beds that have been used, and not necessarily the number of guests.

My place has 3 bedrooms, sleeps up to 7 people in total, and has 5 individual beds.(2 doubles and 3 singles)

My base rate is for 4 people, and £10 p/p p/n for each 5th, 6th or 7th person.

I often receive bookings for 4 people, but they use a bed each. So i have twice as much washing to do, but don't get anything extra for it. So far, I just accept it, and console myself that there isn't as many towels to wash.

Pehaps you could state in your House Rules, that for a 2 person booking, only one bedroom will be made available. If both bedrooms are required, then please let me know. You could then offer the second bedroom, but explain that a sur-charge will have to be made

Thanks Louise.  I dont think its good to add charges that arent regulated by Airbnb.  They make it clear to renters that they wont get charged anything other than specifically listed and included in the reservation price.  And yeh, i have to suck up the extra linen charges too.  

My question tho was more about if people have less enquiries if they choose to list as the priced based on 3/4 people (therefore getting more each booking) when it is such a small place.  My larger apartments that sleep 9 or 10 people have a base price for 4 people but I thought it would be different for an apartment that only sleeps 4.

Thanks

Chloe

Thanks Marit,

Again helpful but the laundry is a side issue.  Its more about avoiding reducing enquiries but trying to up the number of people booking or at least have them decide its worth paying the 3 person price to have it to themselves.

I do adjust for the seasons and I like what you say about who wil be booking at different times. Thanks.

Chloe

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I would just raise the base price and reduce the additional guest price for bookings over 2 people. That will make it more attractive to larger groups and smaller groups will pay more to offset costs of laundry. 

Hi Lyndsey,

Now that completely makes sense!  Brilliant thank you.  I will giev it a shot and see what happens. 

Thanks again

Chloe

Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Unrelated people do travel together and do not want to sleep together. They do however want 2 bedrooms. Why penalise them?

Hi Donna,

You misunderstand what Im trying to do here.  Im not penalising people from sleeping in seperate beds....Im trying to encourage larger groups to book by adjusting the pricing so its cheaper per person to book when there are more people in the group.  But if people want the whole place they pay a bit more per person so it covers laundry charges but the laundry is a side issue. 

A few people have grabbed on to the laundry comment! lol