Resupplying AirBnB from out of state

Mike2349
Level 2
Burlington, VT

Resupplying AirBnB from out of state

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any recommendations on resupplying an AirBnB that's out of state or far away? Other than a property manager or co-host...would a cleaning service assist with this? Just trying to figure out the best way to resupply the supply closet without traveling to the property if possible.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

A cleaning service versed in short-term rental requirements can help with this. This is just one example of what makes a cleaning person or service experienced with short term rentals so valuable. The service or individual can help you replenish supplies, replace bedding and dishware, take photographs, keep you up-to-date on how each guest did, recommend and coordinate repairs with handymen, and the list goes on.  Not to mention the critical requirement of being ultra-dependable for turnovers between guests.

If you find one of these services or individuals, pay them well! If you don’t, the right housecleaner can be trained. Make a list of exactly what needs to be done, along with what makes short-term rental cleans different from normal cleans. There may be a couple of hiccups along the way, but I’ve had some really great cleaners come up from the ranks this way.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mike2349  If you think you can run an Airbnb successfully when you live out of state, just getting by with a cleaner and replenishing supplies, you will be in for a rude awakening. You absolutely need a co-host or manager to deal with on-site issues.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Mike2349   I have a different opinion than @Sarah977   I have successfully run properties for more than 15 years from a distance without a manager or co-host sharing the profit.  However, I have a priceless housekeeper and maintenance couple who treat the properties as if they owned them, and I pay them accordingly.  They are not listed as co-hosts.

I ship everything necessary to my housekeeper.  Each property has a locked owner closet. She places supplies in each property so that it is available to her for changeovers.  This includes linens, towels, paper products, kitchen and dining supplies, small appliances and cleaning products.  It has worked beautifully -- but as I said, my cleaning team is priceless.

@Lorna170  I actually didn't mean that he would have to have an official cohost or property manager on his listing. I just meant that it is necessary to have boots on the ground because there is more to running an Airbnb than communicating online with guests and having the place cleaned and restocked.

Someone to assist the guests if they need hands-on help, to make sure nothing nefarious is going on, like a party or 3 dogs in a no pets listing, etc. It could be a neighbor, friend, family member, or like you have, a couple who look after all that stuff for you and who are paid privately, not through Airbnb.

It's just that a lot of new hosts might have an unrealistic idea of all the things that can come up, thinking it's just a matter of them handling the bookings and getting the place cleaned. That's what I was trying to get across, but I guess I wasn't clear. To me, a co-host just means someone who is the local overseer and problem solver.

@Sarah977   Oh, okay.  I get it now. I know that you are coming from a shared accommodation whereas I have always had private whole house rentals. I generally agree with your advice and love reading your entries.   I don't have experience with the Air co-host concept and absolutely abhor management companies; they just don't present my property the way that I would like.  

I agree that a lot of new hosts are not aware of the issues that they are going to experience in their first year of renting.  Air and the other OTAs make it appear so simple, but this is hosting, which is a real business/occupation fraught with  minefields and pitfalls.