Retaliatory And Spiteful Reviews

Retaliatory And Spiteful Reviews

Long time superhost here. Overall, the platform has been working great for us, but we recently encountered a problem that has caused us a lot of stress. This is honest feedback, and I believe Airbnb and hosts are more successful when the platform is successful.

We have hosted hundred of reservations and thousands of guests. The vast majority of guests have good intentions. When there's a legitimate complaint, we do our best to make it right and voluntarily offer refunds when it is warranted.

But we believe there is a blind spot in Airbnb's review moderation policy that is hurting honest and diligent hosts like us, and holding the platform back a little from being better for everyone.

Airbnb's review moderation policy accounts for explicit extortion and quid pro quo on both sides. Unfortunately, as all experienced hosts know, hosts are sometimes held hostage to an implicit and unstated extortion by the occasional bad faith guest. This happened to us recently, and is causing us a lot of stress. It's unfairly affected our performance and we are concerned we may lose our superhost status, not to mention bookings, because of a couple of spiteful reviews that were unwarranted.

1) A savvy guest can implicitly threaten a negative review by signaling a trivial, petty or otherwise illegitimate complaint. The host will be obliged to offer a refund, even if it is unwarranted out of fear of retaliation (a bad review).

2) Hosts may be fearful of filing legitimate property damage claims due to retaliation or spiteful reviews since untruthful reviews are not moderated according to Airbnb's policy.

This situation may not be commonplace, but an unwarranted 1 star review with unqualified or untruthful comments can have a disproportionately negative impact on performance and take a long time to recover from.

In our case, we had two guests who damaged our property so we filed a claim. Literally within one minute of filing the claim, both guests submitted 1 star reviews and make untruthful claims in their reviews. These reviews are anomalous (we're superhosts for a reason) but they have a big impact on our performance. 

A couple of suggestions for @Airbnb to consider:

1) There should be exceptions in the moderation policy for demonstrably untruthful reviews. We are told that review moderators are only able to do a very narrow investigation and look only at the content of the review itself. They have no background or context regarding the reservation. Moderation should take a more comprehensive approach and have all the info before making a decision about moderation. This only seems fair.

2) Automatically suspend, or moderate, reviews for reservations where a property damage claim has been filed. Alternatively, give hosts more time to file claims. Currently, hosts are required to rush to file a claim before the next guest checks in, which in many cases could literally be a few minutes after the damage is reported, leaving no time to investigate properly or explore alternative options.

Thanks!

R&D

cc: @Airbnb 

49 Replies 49

@Andrew2151  Wow, you have one of the most unique and artistic listings I've seen and your guests give you rave reviews.

Sorry you got that stinker guest. And yes, Airbnb's review policy sucks. But no guest is going to believe that outlier in the midst of all your great reviews. 

Too many hosts get caught up in the ratings game- try not to, all it does is stress you out. 

Re your response to that review- when you feel you need to leave a response, keep in mind that responses are for the benefit of future guests, not to address the guest who left the review, unless you are thanking a good guest.

Keep responses brief and impersonal. A response to that review only needed to say " We did not charge for a broken plastic cup. These guests left multiple serious damages, put filthy unwashed dishes, pots and pans back in the cupboards, and left a huge mess. We have never experienced such disrespectful guests before, and not particularly surprised they left a retaliation review for being charged for their unacceptable behavior. "

Thank you so much for your feedback. If I ever run into this situation again I will follow your advice and be more concise and direct. Ag 

It's 2022 and airbnb are refusing to follow this new policy when someone deliberately gives 2 stars  because I notified them of damage . 

Since your post have you got any info on how I can sort this 

Cheers 

Angel 

Aslea0
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

Sorry I meant

ITS  APRIL 2023 

NOT 2022 ..sorry I'm a Duffa

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Andrew2151 @Sarah977 

Logically, Airbnb has no interest in encouraging hosts to file damage claims, and the system reflects that.

They don’t want to hear complaints from either guests or hosts and they don’t want to have to mediate disputes, so except in extreme cases, they don’t.

We had a property manager that was perfect as far as Airbnb is concerned. This guy gave automatic 5* reviews to everyone, would accept any booking for any number of guests regardless of house rules, never let us see reviews or respond to them, and ignored our damage and rule violation reports.

I can see why Airbnb likes the big property management companies.

If exasperated hosts have to raise their prices to cover damages, that’s nice for Airbnb too, so we should just quit complaining and let the majority responsible guests pay for the destructive minority.

@Brian2036  You must be a realist. Your response is really thought out and it’s probably right explaining for their extremely strict review policy. It’s definitely working in my case because now I will not submit a resolution claim unless any future damage is that a much higher threshold to balance out the liability and frustration of a petty low star review.

@Andrew2151  @Brian2036  If Airbnb actually cared about its hosts, and guests disrespecting their homes, they would change the damage claim process and not have it start up until after the review period was over.

Fine to have to submit photos and an initial claim before the next guest checks in, but asking the guest to pay up shouldn't happen until after the reviews are posted.

The way Airbnb has it set up is like offering your child a choice- he can choose an 8 o'clock bedtime, or a 9 o'clock bedtime, but if he chooses the 9 o'clock bedtime, he'll get a punishment.

Ditto! Swap all furniture for IKEA and keep receipts. Hopefully it gets broken before the return period expires.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Andrew2151 @Sarah977 

It is well to keep in mind that Airbnb is a publicly traded corporation. It is incapable of caring about anyone, hosts or guests, employees or subcontractors, because it’s not human.

This is why all these corporate “social responsibility” programs fill me with contempt. It’s nothing but window dressing.

The only responsibility any corporation recognizes is the next quarter earnings report.

What do you think would happen if management announced that all dividends were being donated to provide free housing to the homeless rather than paid out to shareholders?

New management instantly. Old management facing a variety of criminal charges.

Management gets paid to make the Board of Directors happy and pacify minority shareholders to a lesser degree. They do this by charging more for services than they pay out in expenses.

They have to walk a very fine line and it’s not easy.

@Brian2036  Airbnb wasn't a publicly traded company, though, until relatively recently. And while their customer service has been declining to an unbelievable low, they have had these unworkable host-decimating policies for a long time before their IPO. 

Arrogance and greed have become the basis of this company, and that was happening before they had shareholders to answer to. And they seem to have forgotten that some of those shareholders are hosts.

John6556
Level 5
Toronto, Canada

@Ryan-and-Darnie0 

New policy effective Nov16 2022

A simpler way to dispute retaliatory reviews

Request removal of a retaliatory review, no matter how long ago it was posted.

By Airbnb on Nov. 16, 2022

2 min read

Updated Nov. 16, 2022

You can request removal of any retaliatory review, no matter how long ago it was posted. You’ll be able to flag reviews from guests who:

Commit a serious policy violation, like damaging your property or overstaying their reservation

Violate your house rules—for example, by having an unauthorized party or event at your place

https://www.airbnb.ca/resources/hosting-homes/a/a-simpler-way-to-dispute-retaliatory-reviews-552

https://www.airbnb.ca/resources/hosting-homes/a/ground-rules-for-guests-554

How do you  actually do   that . 

Airbnb are saying no and I have clear proof the review relates to guest  being notified of damage 

Sara8246
Level 4
Phoenix, AZ

I couldn't agree more with this, and as others have stated, Airbnb purports have made "a simpler way to dispute retaliatory reviews." They have not.

Since 2019, I've had mostly 5-star reviews and never below 4-stars. Recently, I had a guest who significantly damaged my property, refused to vacate at checkout time and misrepresented the number of guests staying in my tiny historic home. When guest finally vacated, I discovered pungent odor, a flooded kitchen that ruined the baseboards of my custom cabinets, destroyed walls from makeshift curtains hung (guests attempted to cover the damage with mismatch paint), several marker/pen stains on the walls, missing and/or damaged towels, pillows, linens, etc. It was a literal living nightmare.

During guest's stay, I was told several times how much guest "LOVED" the property, called it "a hidden gem" and requested to extend the reservation. Guest never mentioned a single issue with the property during their 28-day stay. After my claim was submitted, I received a 1-star review and several false statements were made - I was accused of being a scammer and that I purposely didn't hang the curtains on the historic original bay window so that I can spy on my guests. By her own admission in the review, it was my fault that she duct taped sheets to my wall and generously bought paint to cover the damages and requested that I be grateful. She stated that she accidentally took my belongings and accidents happen. She claimed that the antique furniture was broken so they had to live out of their luggage, yet my property has built in drawers with the original closets in each bedroom.

I disputed the review as not only biased and retaliatory, but also defamatory. Within roughly 3 hours, Airbnb summarily denied my request in a template-like response and stated that the guest did not violate the content policy. The Review Policy states that “guests should not write biased or inauthentic reviews as a form retaliation against a Host who enforces a policy or rule.” My claim was to enforce liability for serious violations of policy. Serious violations of policies, according to Airbnb, include guests that (1) damage property, (2) overstay their reservation; and/or (3) violate house rules, all of which were committed by my guest.

Airbnb's alleged objective in creating "a simpler way to dispute retaliatory reviews" is for hosts to "feel comfortable hosting guests without worrying about the possibility of receiving a retaliatory review." Am I missing something here? If my guest loves my property until I hold her accountable for destroying it, and retaliates to "warn people not to book" my property, how is this not retaliation per se? 

Since the review, my calendar has had more availability since the time I listed back in 2019. Not to mention, even after 14+ hours of cleaning, the following guest cancelled due to the odor that I could not eliminate. Contractors and cleaners have been in and out of my house since then, which required several blocked days and loss of income. 

I have neither received support for the damages claim nor the retaliatory dispute claim. I really don't want to pursue legal action against Airbnb, but I've exhausted all efforts in hopes that they would comply with its own policies and damages in lost income continue to accrue. After my next long-term guest, I'll be taking my listing off Airbnb and pursue other platforms, such as FurnishedFinder or VRBO. 

Sorry for your disappointment with this, I fully understand how you feel but already lost any interest to pursue this matter.

If anyone has time to check my listing reviews, I have hundreds of reviews, about 80% 5-stars, and about ten 1-stars, almost all of them were party violations or criminal activities, (with case numbers). I got some compensation from Airbnb for huge property damages, but NEVER GOT REVIEWS REMOVED. 

I was tired of calling and calling, finally, I realized “instant booking” was the main cause. 

I prefer to get fewer bookings but got peace of mind.

Wish you good luck!

周蘭

@Lan1 
 I am touching base because it is obvious by your above post that you are a very experienced AirBnB Host.  I am hoping to ask a few questions and have your feedback.  Recently, I tried Smart Pricing but I was getting reservations that were well below my minimum rates.  So I honored those reservations while I was trying to determine how to get a handle on all of the various factors that would allow lower rates and instant bookings (when I had thought I had noted the correct pricing parameters and availability on those days).

As I was trying to work out a request which came through for a substantially lower rate, I had another reservation come through under instant book.   Immediately (within 2 minutes), I responded to that reservation and canceled and did share a profuse apology for having to cancel.

The following areas are where I am very confused:

1.  With Instant Book, I thought as a host I had the opportunity to cancel up to (3) reservations in a year without any penalties.  Sadly, on this cancellation, I was informed I will now be charged $155 from my next reservation payment.  Where does one find the list of cancellations that AirBnB then uses to penalize after (3)?  I still do not believe I have canceled three times as I bend over backward to try to accommodate every request.

3.  Too many times my minimum rate is being presented to potential clients much lower than what I had noted in my listing.  I reviewed the listing to ensure I did not have any weekly/monthly discounts (as that had somehow been activated) only to be told I had provided for another 10% discount based on non-refundable.

All of these variable pricing terms and pricing options to a moderate user as a host create one huge headache.  It is becoming incredibly stressful trying to figure out how the pricing has been devised and how to have a better control on inquiries and reservations.  If I could feel more confident, I would like to use Instant Booking as it is a convenience for clients but the current process just creates havoc for me.   I am thinking I should maybe change platforms.   

How did you discover the issues you were having were related to "instant bookings"?  I keep thinking I am overlooking an easy way to manage my listing but apparently not as I got hammered today within a few minutes while I was trying to figure out why the Special Pricing I had offered had descrepancies (as an example rather than show the $155/night, it lowered it to some bizarre amount such as $129.35/night?

Sorry to bother you with so many details but if there is any way you can help me figure this out or suggest a really effective site that really helps with these type of questions, I would be very grateful.  As always,  Tricia