Retroactive cancellation

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Retroactive cancellation

I thought I posted this morning but maybe not... If this is buried somewhere and you are reading again- sorry! 

I guest booked an expensive busy weekend and never showed up. I talked to him up to the day before arrival and just got a brief "we are not coming" after my check in time. A few days later I get a message from Airbnb that the guest passed away! Reso was cancelled, money taken from my account.

Of course it is extraordinary sad and I know funerals are so expensive but my family was also counting on this money ($1100!) as at that point it was paid out.  If for example they had Hamilton tickets for that night, they couldn’t call the theater a few days later and get their money back.

Assuming that we all agree that this is incredibly sad and we grieve for the family, what are your thoughts on this retroactive cancellation? I have actually had a few very interesting discussions over this with my kids about general rules of business, humanity, “who needs it more” concept, etc

14 Replies 14
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Inna22 I think Airbnb are way too generous to the guests in any cancellation situation. If I book an airfare and have to cancel or change my dates (due to what Airbnb would consider an extenuating circumstance), I either claim on my travel insurance or wear the cost of the tickets (if I decided to take the risk and not take out travel insurance). If I book theatre tickets and cannot go due to 'extenuating circumstances', again, I lose the money. I do not see why hosts should be the ones to cover the guests risk, without, I might add, of having the option to cover any loss of income.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Inna22 But at the same time Airbnb ToS include those extenuating circumstances and it's up to the hosts to accept them and join the platform or not. Guests, given such a right, are entitled to do claim it. I would say it's not that the revenue from Airbnb hosting is guaranteed. Shops accept returns, credit/debit card companies make it possible to void transactions. Try other platforms where there are no extenuating circumstances rules.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Marzena4 I mainly took issue with it being retroactive. When a shop takes a return or transaction is voided, an item is returned and the shop can attempt to resell it. I fully accept the risk for anything future, understand and support the policy, but not when it has passed completely.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Yes, I know that the incident being solved retroactively creates a problem - you might have spent the money for example. I wonder how Airbnb checks whether extenuating circumstances were really applicable.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Inna22

of course it is not fair to the host. Travel insurance should cover extenuating circumstances, not the host

I think on VRBO guests can pay extra for travel insurance.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Good point on travel insurance @Branka-and-Silvia0.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I did have expenses- the cleaning person was already scheduled and I had to pay her. Airbnb told me they were provided with a death certificate. I really hope someone is not going to fake death to get money back for a hotel stay!

@Inna22

You will never know, the only guidance I can give is that you should never ever assume your Cancellation policy will be upheld and manage your listing accordingly

David
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Inna22 Above all, what can be trusted on Airbnb? You must definitely try other sites as well.

Paul-and-Alma0
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

I've had this happen too as a host where the guest had a serious illness but if I'd been in their situation as a guest I would expect to claim on my travel insurance.

I'm not sure why airbnb think they need to get involved in these situations yet don't get involved when guests are more needing of support such as when hosts disappear (this may sound a bit harsh but thats not what I intend, deaths & illness should be via insurance whereas problems with hosts should be airbnb's responsibility, they seem to deal with the wrong things, penalising genuine hosts and letting dodgy hosts away with letting travellers down). 

I would anticpate that the vast majority of guests do not have have Travel Insurance.

David
Paul-and-Alma0
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

That's upto them. the host shouldn't lose out for insurable events.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

It is there CHOICE to not have insurance. I have no choice- I accept the booking and hope my guest are healthy up until check in. Or do they have to stay alive through check out? Should that be another verification option for guests - like I expect and ID and a health check? Just kidding of course

@Inna22

I would anticpate that if someone died during a booking that would be considered an Extenuating Circumstance and ABB would refund the balance of the booking fee to their Estate.

One of the reasons to make sure you have taken out adequate Life Assurance on each Guest.

David