Returning to hosting after a serious illness

Abigail3
Level 4
Winchester, United Kingdom

Returning to hosting after a serious illness

Hello Community!

I am a Superhost who had to stop hosting last year when I was diagnosed with Cancer. I rang and spoke to an Airbnb adviser who was very understanding and said I could keep my Superhost staus and put my Listing on hold and come back if I got better.

A year later I am cancer free and have moved house. A couple of days ago I went "Live" with my new listing and immediately got three bookings. My first guest has just given me another 5 star review. However when I looked at my progress report it said I might have my Superhost staus taken away because "I haven't done enough hostings over the last year". I only started up again 2 days ago!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

17 Replies 17
Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute, 

I hope for you a so good health and hosting @Abigail3   

With best wishes, 

Miloud

Abigail3
Level 4

Thank you so much Miloud. I am (thank God) fit and well again and enjoying being a Host!

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Abigail3 

You've got 3 months before the next assessment to meet the requirements in the link below

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/829/how-do-i-become-a-superhost

Abigail3
Level 4

Thank you so much Jeff - I hope that is correct. It seemed to say in my "progress" that they were going to assess my Superhost staus on April 14th - as if I've been hosting for a whole year when in reality I only started hosting on April 3rd 2019!!

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

Hi @Abigail3 

So good to hear you are on the mend and back doing AirBnB.

Don't worry about Superhost status, you have a lovely home and with Easter just around the corner + Goodwood Members' Meeting this weekend am sure your bookings will pick up

Abigail3
Level 4

Thank you for the encouraging words Chris!

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Abigail3 

So happy to hear you are cancer free!!

Ignore the message. It's simply an automated response from the ABB bot to scare you. As @Jeff158 's link indicates, you'll be fine.

Abigail3
Level 4

Pheeeeeew! Thanks Suzanne!

Wesley58
Level 3
Albany, NY

The comments that everyone made already seems to be right. I'd also like to add that being a superhost isn't really all about the title anyway - it's about what is behind it (that's right, it's being awesome on your own) 

Good luck 🙂 

***[To view listings, hover over profile image and click, 'View profile']

Abigail3
Level 4

Thanks Wesley - I guess I'm quite proud of the little medal beside my profile pic and presume it would encourage guests to trust me. It would be irritating to have it taken away just because Airbnb forgot I had suspended my accout due to illness! I guess I'll ring them and argue my case if it happens. Otherwise I'll just keep working towards getting a new Superhost ststus in my new home. Cheers!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Abigail3   Glad you're well again and happy re-hosting.

You know, whenever I've had any issue with Airbnb, I have never phoned them (as it wasn't an emergency). I always prefer to use the message function. That way, there is a paper trail to show them when they flip-flop on what you've been told. They can too easily say they have no record of a CS rep telling you something on the phone.

Abigail3
Level 4

Ah! Sarah! That is very good advice. I find it a bit difficult to see where to message them though. When you click HELP it seems to palm you off on the Community or you have to choose from a list of problems - none of which are relevant to YOUR problem! I'll explore some more, thank you!

@Abigail3   Yes, it's a bit of a hunt. If you go to the Help pages, type something in, and then scroll down all the way to the bottom of the page, you should see a "Contact Us". This will bring up a bunch of drop down boxes about your issue, then when you click on all of those, you'll get a box to write your message. Often you'll just get some cut and paste response referring you back to useless help pages, but just be persistent and polite, pointing out that the info they sent  doesn't relate to your issue or answer your question and re-iterate what you are asking. I find if I make a bit of a personal connection with the support person, either wishing them a good day and thanking them for their time, or praising them for an on-point response, it helps to get a better repsonse. I know they're bombarded with angry messages all day.

Occasionally I do get a really good CS rep, who has obviously read through my message, "gets" the issue, and responds appropriately, and I thank my lucky stars when that happens 🙂

Abigail3
Level 4

Great. I shall refer back to all this info when I need it, thank you! Totally agree about being polite and making a connection. I try and do this with banks, internet providers, mobile phone companies and ANYONE working in a call centre. A ghastly job and they get people being rude and abrupt with them all day long. They are usually quite surprised when I'm friendly and polite!