Returning to hosting after a serious illness

Abigail3
Level 4
Winchester, United Kingdom

Returning to hosting after a serious illness

Hello Community!

I am a Superhost who had to stop hosting last year when I was diagnosed with Cancer. I rang and spoke to an Airbnb adviser who was very understanding and said I could keep my Superhost staus and put my Listing on hold and come back if I got better.

A year later I am cancer free and have moved house. A couple of days ago I went "Live" with my new listing and immediately got three bookings. My first guest has just given me another 5 star review. However when I looked at my progress report it said I might have my Superhost staus taken away because "I haven't done enough hostings over the last year". I only started up again 2 days ago!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

17 Replies 17
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977 

Once again, great response Sarah, your knowledge is indeed considerable and the commuinity would be lost without you!

One thing has me a bit intriqued though. You quite often mention  your dealings with support and from your descriptions you make it sound as though this is a regular occurence for you and you have by now mastered and thoroughly learned the ropes about dealing with CX. 

In 250+ Airbnb stays and 215 reviews, I could count on one hand the number of times I have had to contact support, in fact I think it has only been 3 times.

What happens that causes this volume of contact for you Sarah? Do you strike a lot of 'prickly' situations that requires outside help.....

As I said, just intrigued!

Cheers......Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Abigail3 

Hello Abigail, that is indeed great news that you have got the better of your health issue. You are a strong and determined woman and I am sure a good positive outlook will keep you in good stead for many years to come....good on you!

To your Superhost status.........As you may know each calendar year is split up into 4 assessment periods. The one that has just finished is for Stays that took place for the year 1st April 2018 to 31st March 2019. The reason results are not dsplayed until 14 days after each assessment period is to allow for any reviews for stays that may have taken place in the last week of the previous assessment period to be received and posted.

Now, looking at your profile Abigail you are currently showing as having at least 11 reviewed (English speaking) stays in this assessment period which has just ended.....I say 11 because, you may have had stays last year in April/May from guests who's native language is not English, and their reviews would be visible at the end of your reviews and not be displaying in chronological order.

So, having said that Abigail, the CX person you spoke to had no right to say your Superhost status was safe no matter what. That CX person has no control over the way the automated system runs.....it responds to certain criteria, and the criteira to either gain, or retain Superhost status is that you host a minimum of 10 stays (or 100 nights) during a particular assessment period.

Abigail, you have hosted 11 stays for this period so you will retain your superhost status.

Where your problem may come in, the next assessment period which we are now in.......1st July 2018 to 30th June 2019  is currently showing you as having only one completed stay! You do not have a 'bank' of stays over this past yearly assessment to help you. It is to be hoped that you will host at least another 9 stays over the next three months, and if you do.......your Superhost status will continue!

This is great that you have come back Abigail, cancer is one of those diseases that is just not bloody fair. I just wish the medical community could conjur up a cure for my wife Ade's MS, but....we live in hope!

All the best.

Cheers......Rob

Abigail3
Level 4
Winchester, United Kingdom

Wow Rob, this is really helpful. I had no idea it was so complicated. I'm fairly confident that I'll manage nine stays over the next three months as lots of people come to my area to get married in the pretty village churches and there are always wedding guests that need somewhere to stay plus lots of long distance hikers that walk the South Downs Way that runs through my village so I shall just hope for the best! Many thanks for your thorough advice. By the way I've just got back from three months working in Australia as both my parents were Sydneysiders and my Sister lives there too!