Revenge reviewing

Kate204
Level 2
Vincentia, AU

Revenge reviewing

Without prejudice Unfair suspension 25 days at our time when we make 85% of our income.  We had a bad run of 4 bad guests over Christmas, booking for six and 15 turn up, doing damages,  being very noisy with Complaints from our neighbours $100 s of  dollars of damage done to the properties we manage 28,  Unfortunately all these guests from Air BnB were confronted and they all told us before they left that they would leave a bad review (we call this a Revenge review) these entitlements that Air BnB  guests  have has got a stop. The is damaged to our business and properties we’ve lost is over $50,000 we have 28 listings on Airbnb all  because of inconsiderate guests damaging our property. I don’t get?? Ok Suspend one property not all 28

Defaming or False reviews in Australia is illegal and compensation for loss of income can now be  claimed through the courts.  Not one of these guests that left a false  review with a low score that made a rating drop below gave a honest review nor stated they did the wrong thing or honest review like we did book for six and 15 turned up, we did have party to to 3 o’clock, we did park in everyone’s car spot,  we did we read and agreed to the terms and conditions  but we did not care we still partied and had extra people and we did damage the property !!

Instead it’s easy to lie in fact I’ve never seen a guest with a negative review on Airbnb....Why is that...  because they close their Air BnB account down and reopen a new account or book under somebody else’s profile and sadly  it’s way way too easy to do that on Airbnb. It  now known iis cheaper to have a party in a  Airbnb property  if  do damage or  have extra people and just walk away and do nothing and nothing happens oh  and you leave a bad review to cover yourself!!   Compared this to booking a commercial place to have a party you have to leave a big bond they have very strict terms and conditions and  The cleaning costs  are really high. 

Our South Coast of Australia  has been hit by devastating bushfires we were very lucky and not affected but My neighbouring town 12 km away lost everything all the way down to the Victoria border there are thousands and thousands of people that lost there homes and desperately  looking for accommodation at present, this very critical time and Airbnb has suspended Not just one property but all 28 listings.Come on  it’s a state emergency.  I have rung every day and spend minimum an hour to 2 hours with somebody asking why or way 28 bookings have been suspended, stating  my properties were in perfect condition it was a guest that did the damage and they left a false review and scores and still  all 28 properties suspended.  I find this very very selfish of Airbnb. One guest washed their 3 cars on hard surface with water restrictions in Australia  due to the bushfires  because I said they couldn’t  they said they will leave a bad review and low score. Come on send a representation from Airbnb and you can view my properties.  They are all in good  condition they are fine, they are perfect they clean-their fully self-contained and Self catering with kitchens all with in a great location within 350 m from the beaches.  The only difference is I have very strict terms and conditions and guests have to agree in writing with  Government photo ID with the option to self clean or pay for housekeeping- some guests don’t like  some love it because I get to save on the housekeeping fee as we offer a one night stay plus we  will always confront any guest if they have done the wrong thing .

Air BnB really needs to stop this type of   Revenge reviewing and biased to the host .Without hosts, without properties there is no business. The host’s have to have some say in what happens in their property. The host need to be out of take back control of the damage deposit and take their own damage deposit like on other platforms like home and away and VRBO.  Hopefully more people advertise on these other alternative to booking platforms they will be more popular creating better competition for Airbnb as it states competition brings the best out in both companies .

With these severe bushfires in our neighbouring town and the thousands and thousands Australians Have lost their home suspending 28 listing has not allow these people to reach out for us for shelter and accommodation I find this very critical and very sad of Airbnb not looking into this with compassion and sensibility p, ok suspend one listing I don’t care but not all listings that’s just selfish.

4 Replies 4

@Kate204 Your negative recent reviews were not an anomaly, so it's very hard to make a case that they were "false" or attributable to bad guests. In fact, going back through the entirety of last year, you have more consistently negative reviews than I've ever seen in a single Airbnb account. Guests have frequently described your properties as overpriced and poorer quality than advertised, with hidden costs that sound very much against Airbnb policy, poor hospitality standards, and the feeling that they were being beaten over the head with rules.

I have no way to know if these complaints were justified, but they've been recurring for a long time and your public responses have been very much the opposite of reassuring. A thoughtful guest would avoid your properties based on the review history. Therefore, the only potential guests you have left are the thoughtless and inattentive ones.

Airbnb as a listing service is certainly not perfect, but they're also clearly not the root of all your problems. Based on your history as a host, you've consistently chosen to ignore the less flattering feedback and antagonize any guest who was critical. The result of that is that you've failed to learn how to effectively serve your market. 

Perhaps this is a good opportunity to delete your account, make some vital improvements to your properties, and make a fresh start with a platform that fits your hosting style better than Airbnb. I have no way to know whether any form of hosting suits you well, but I can tell you for sure that ranting on here and making yourself out to be a victim is not going to accomplish anything useful. 

"...booking for six and 15 turn up, doing damages being very noisy with Complaints from our neighbours..."

So where are YOU/YOUR management after guest #7 enters the property without being registered with you as a guest???
THIS is Airbnb's fault? Do you have a Management agreement with Airbnb to police your properties? 
You have "...$100 s of  dollars of damage..." And you lose $50K because they suspend your account?
Remote Hosting is a risky business model if not done right. You run a professional hotel business and should have proper insurance, or just paying a couple of $100 for repairs out of your profit, ITS THE COST OF DOING BUSINESS if you allow 8 extra "guests" onto your house... Yes / No?  Your reviews are telling me that your model is probably not working out.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kate204 

I don't know that I would describe it as revenge reviewing, Kate you just seem to keep walking into these review  situations.

Short term renting is not just a vehicle to fatten your bank account. You have a requirement to meet a certain level of service and expectation in order to be worth what you are paid.....and in most of your reviews, you were not worth what you were paid Kate. 

Seriously, your reviews read like a chamber of horrors, you could accept a few guests having unrealistic expectations and giving unjustified reports.....but you just keep getting the same comments over and over again....'Not worth the money'.....'Too many rules' .......'Basic amenities not provided'......'unjust cleaning fees'! The list goes on and on. 

And on top of that, guests that did leave a poor review you simply tore into and personally criticised....you do not seem to be learning from what your guests are telling you. And the final nail in the coffin, every 15 reviews or there about ...."The host cancelled this reservation xxxxx days before arrival, this is an automated posting"! 

It amazes me that Airbnb did not suspend your account a long time ago.

Kate, what offends me the most about this is, it is a slur on all the great hosts that try their heart out for their guests, the ones that do go that 'extra mile' that you don't even know exists......It reflects badly on all of us and it brings the platform into disrepute! I am proud to be on Airbnb, but reading your reviews makes me feel I should keep that feeling to myself!

Maybe you are not cut out to be an STR host, maybe you should concentrate those management 'skills' on the long term rental market where your landlord style will only reflect on you not the platform in general!

Sorry Kate, I don't like to be critical of another host but you do need to take stock of your situation, try to be a bit more a part of the house sharing economy otherwise ,you should put your time and effort into managing a vehicle parking station  where there is no expectation of you other than to provide a vacant space for which you will be paid!

Cheers......Rob

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Your responses to your guests' reviews alone would make me run the other way as fast as I could.  You don't just refute your guests' comments, you attack them personally.  Perhaps consider a property management company; they could offer better customer service and could effectively manage your 28 properties without you needing to worry or stress over it.  Otherwise, please consider that the only constant in this scenario is you.  Your guests are trying to tell you what needs to be improved...listen to them.