Reversing AirBNB's Refund

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Reversing AirBNB's Refund

Just wanted to update everyone on a case I had open with AirBNB - long story short, a guest booked a stay for late August, well outside of the EC clause (guests booking after March 14th are not eligible) and they cancelled before the EC dates were even extended to August.  They were given a full refund without my knowledge or permission, contrary to my strict cancellation policy and AirBNB's own EC policy.  

It took me 6 long weeks of back and forth with over a dozen reps, but I FINALLY received confirmation this morning that I would be paid what I was owed.  Don't give up if something similar happens to you, and you know you're entitled to the funds.  I'm still waiting on another $1000+ claim for damages through AirBNB's insurance adjuster, going on 6 weeks as well.  Fingers crossed I'm successful there too!

Stay safe everyone!  

15 Replies 15
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Happy for you @Danielle476 and great job.

I had two 'issues' with them during this 'Open-Ended EC Era', despite moving all guests October 2020 and beyond knowing quite well how they love to pander to guests; in two cases they simply informed me they are fully refunding two whining guests retroactively. Not so fast Kimosahbee; (that is a Long Ranger reference for you youngsters).  They remind me of the US IRS - they always follow the path of least resistance; but unlike them, Airbnb is always willing to obstinately waste and inordinate time and resources fighting hosts. 

I just joined this site mid July and my second guests broke the legs off my bed. Broke a lamp. Damaged the wall and the archway into the walk in closet. Damaged the carpet. 

My third guest, a youngster, booked for 7 days got close to 300$ in discounts for the week, then stayed 3 days, the weekend. Claimed water was coming in after a rain storm and wanted 400$ returned to him, which would have had him stay for almost free. 

My place was gutted and renovated previously to listing it. It is brand new inside.

I was given a bad review from this spoiled child, all because I would not give him a free stay. 

Is this the way it is?  Is this what I am to expect?  Do they even make good on their promises? 

@Donna986 

It seems that AirBnb have a guest training programme which enlightens them how to get accommodation for free. If the guest fails on the first few attempts the Customer Services give them a free pass to try again!

It has taken years for this training to have been perfected, and now they cannot control the wave of abuse and entitled guests from making claims for the slightest fault.

As @Danielle476 has illustrated, knowledgeable and persistent communication will get your contracted rights satisfied. If not, there’s always local judicial claims or AirBnb provided arbitration.

Linda1633
Level 2
Wappingers Falls, NY

Are you using Instant Booking?

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Danielle476 

Great to hear that your persistence paid off.

It shouldn’t need to have been pursued like this, but like all the arbitration cases, they’re returning hosts’ lost earnings.

👍

Nela0
Level 2
Zagreb, Croatia

@Danielle476 I unfortunately had the most unpleasant experience with Airbnb on the same subject. The guests did not show up at all (everything happened back in October 2018!) And I refused to refund, because it was a complete now show, without any excuse. I also have strict cancellation rules. Airbnb tried aggressively to make me do the refund, although they also admitted that they had no proof provided by the guest that they had such an extreme emergency for the no show. In short, I have recently had another guests via Airbnb and they deducted the sum I was supposed to receive for the 2018 amount they decided ( without me knowing about it!) to refund the 2018 guest. To my detriment, of course. I have already written numerous complains to Airbnb, nobody ever answered😒.. what contact did you use to deal with Airbnb? Thank you very much in advance. I really do feel angry and cheated and consider hiring legal help. Best, Nela

@Nela0 Sorry to hear about your troubles!  How frustrating.  I called their 1-855 (Canadian) number about every 2 to 3 days for a month, I sent help requests through their Help Chat functions, I created a Twitter account for the sole purpose of getting their attention until they did something about my issues.  I am notoriously stubborn though so it was more the principle than anything else, really.  So far I've recouped over $1,000 that was owed to me so it was definitely worth it.  Keep at it!  The thing I found worked the best for me was to find the specific applicable clause/rule on their own website and repeat it back to them in writing and verbally.  They can't argue with you when you're using their own policies as evidence for your case.  Best of luck!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Danielle476 

Good for you!

I thought my case was bad enough. I had to fight a couple of refunds (large ones as we are talking long-term stays) that clearly fell outside of the EC policy and even included refunds for nights already stayed. The guests did not complain about anything nor request these refunds. CS just decided in their wisdom to issue out full refunds to everyone willy nilly.

I had much the same experience as you, persistently battling this with Airbnb. On average, every case has taken a month of this to sort out so your six weeks tops that! It does show that you can get results by persisting but, really, should we have to go through all of this?

Rick3389
Level 1
Miami, FL

This has happened to me and my partner 3 times in the past 2 weeks without any advance notice from Airbnb.  In all three cases, the reasons they were giving me for cancellation did not qualify for EC.   One person in particular wanted to cancelled because they were concerned about a possible hurricane during their stay 20 days away.   Airbnb should not be making these decisions without first consulting with the hosts for additional information.

I am glad to hear that several of you have been successful in fighting this.   I I have a couple of open chats going with CS but it takes hours to get a response from them and when they do they are not helpful.  They are short on explanations or providing any relevant information.   It boils down to "it is what it is" which is completely unacceptable.   

I would really appreciate any advice you can share on how best to navigate this.   Thank you.

@Rick3389 Sorry to hear!  I think they pull these stunts and just hope that hosts will eventually give up, so it doesn't cost them anything extra.  Please see my reply to @Nela0 above as to what I did to resolve my issues.  All the best, good luck!

Thomas2135
Level 2
Kambah, Australia

AIRBNB CONSUMER WARNING   AIRBNB CONSUMER WARNING

Beware/beware of using Airbnb during the COVID 19 pandemic. Why? Because Airbnb seem to be using the ongoing disruptions caused by the impact of the COVID 19 pandemic to withhold legitimate refunds for cancelled accommodation bookings!

My family and my travel and accommodation to attend a planned family wedding in Brisbane, Australia later this month (August 2020) had to be cancelled because the wedding itself was cancelled due to the international and interstate travel restrictions imposed by the Australian, Queensland and other state governments. To make matters worse for the potential bride and groom (who were planning to travel from New Zealand for their wedding in Brisbane), there were also harsh restrictions on the number of people who could attend any wedding.

I understand the legitimate health policy reasons for the travel and other restrictions. And clearly these factors are beyond the average consumer’s control or influence.  But to date Airbnb has not accepted this as legitimate grounds to provide full reimbursement for our cancelled accommodation bookings.  Our booked accommodation host in Brisbane has advised that she supports a full refund of my $1036 deposit but says that Airbnb hold my deposit and Airbnb alone can provide any refund.

Where to from here for consumers whose travel and accommodation plans have been adversely impacted by the COVID 19 travel and other restrictions?  Consumer affairs agencies, free legal aid?  The airline industry has an airline customer advocate office – is there a similar body to pursue Airbnb? From this frustrated consumer’s perspective, Airbnb seem to be using the cover of the chaos caused by the COVID 19 pandemic to delay and/or reneg on their customer service responsibilities and obligations? Thomas

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Thomas2135 

I would go back to them and, rather than focus on the wedding being cancelled (not officially a reason to get a full refund), focus on the fact that you CANNOT travel due to the government travel restrictions and send links to these. As far as I am aware, trips prevented by government travel restrictions ARE a valid reason to be refunded under the COVID-19 extenuating circumstances policy. Unfortunately, not all customer services reps are that well trained, so sometimes you need to spell it out for them very clearly. Don't say you have to cancel because a wedding was cancelled. That will just confuse matters.

@Huma0 Yes, good point; skip the reason for traveling, but only talk about the impossibility of traveling in the first place.

P.S. This reminds me of my friend in Texas who I just visited I haven't seen a mere 5 months - 'Fred, you missed my wedding, and you also missed my divorce". 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Wow @Fred13 . Your friend moves fast! How does one even manage a divorce that quickly?