Review Rubric

Bob64
Level 3
Ocean City, NJ

Review Rubric

The problem with the review rating system is that there is no rubric. There is no consistency between reviewers. One person may be a "hard marker" and give 4 stars to a place that another reviewer with the exact same experience may give 5 stars. What differentiates a 3 star from a 4 star from a five star? I have seen 4 star reviews with no bad comments - so why not it a 5 star rating? On what basis did you take away a star? Also, it is ridiculous to judge a place by something that the owner has no control over. Cleanliness, condition of the furniture, etc. are the owner's responsibility and can/should be judged accordingly. But don't criticize the number of steps or the parking when the two flights of steps and no dedicated parking were disclosed in the property description. As hosts we know how critically important reviews are, but inconsistent grading parameters and definitions are unfair to hosts and guests alike.

9 Replies 9
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Hahahah @Bob64, what a great idea!

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

Sorry, clicked on reply too soon! I worked for a higher education institution for years and one of my major projects was to develop marking rubrics for every assignment for every unit to improve standardisation of marking. Maybe Airbnb can employ me to create some rubrics for them!

Patricia110
Level 2
Burswood, Australia

I too am feeling the cost of this unfairness. Out of my last 3 guest groups, all have given 5 stars for every area plus positive comments and no negative. 2 have given an overall rating of 4 stars and 1 has given an overall rating of 5 stars. If you give 5 starts for all areas why then are you giving 4 stars overall? it is not fair and it impacts on the overall rating. As a result I have dropped in my overall rating and now have '2 basic requirements I need to address'. How do I get Airbnb to address this problem?

they probably won't..

they tend to say they will look at it  however thinking this will suddenly add up to fair  is  probably not going to happen  ever.

Melissa717
Level 2
Underhill, VT

I hadn't really thought about this, but it makes perfect sense. A rubric has a certain set of conditions for each rating, i.e., 1 - 5. I teach English at a community college, and if I use a rubric and give a student a score that is less than 5, not only is the criteria spelled out for reaching a five, the criteria for all other scores is also explained. Airbnb does such a stellar job in so may ways and on so many fronts; developing a "real" rubric should become a priority. 

Kathleen173
Level 2
Fort Myers, FL

I put a sign up in my apartment asking guests to give me a 5 star rating or to contact me first if they have an issue. It has worked well for me. I would be happy to share my note to guests with you . *

*[Personal information hidden for safety reasons–in line with the Community Center Guidelines - to use the Direct Messaging function here in the Community Center, hover over the post profile photo and click 'Send Message']

I would like to see your note please.

I mention  that if there is a problem with the listing to let me know asap  so I can correct the problem.

My places are much cleaner now  although guests still come and leave a low rating or much lower than i think it could be.

I address every issue a guest has promptly although not many seem interested in letting me know until after they leave.  and also leave a 2 star rating.

Mary703
Level 6
San Jose, CA

Bob, I totally agree. I would love to see a rating system that was based on accuracy, rather than a subjective 1 to 5. For instance, "Location = Not as Described, As Described". Too often I see a "4" rating for things that were as Described, like Check-In times, but didn't work for their schedule, so they lower their score. Sigh. 

Manik1
Level 7
Clayton, Australia

Bob, Totally and I think hosts should also be notified with a heads up to say when you get a reservation request from a guest to the effect "This guest rated the last host ___ Stars" so we don't need to be sherlock holmes and check what the particular guest have said about other hosts in the past as I rate and review my guests fairly and I have been in the same position where guests are either lack of understanding or language barrier or simply can't be bothered gives contradicting ratings. If you rated everything 5 starts then the overall should be 5 starts isn't it? As now we don't know what the Guest had rated earlier hosts!!!