Review/Star system

Alan26
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

Review/Star system

I was hoping for a continuing winning streak of 5 stars from each guest but i noticed something confusing:

In the review tab of 'View Listing' in Manage Listing section, I have ten 5-star ratings and one 4-star rating.  But to the right of that I show a summary of all 5 stars for Accuracy, Communication, Cleanliness, etc.

Can anyone explain?  Is there anywhere i can view which category drew a 4 star rating?

7 Replies 7
Owen4
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Go to your stats through the homepage

I guess airB doesn't allow us to see how an individual guest assigned their review Stars.  That's probably so hosts dont chew someone out for giving a not perfect review?  Personally, it would help me so that I could go back in my memory to that guest and troubleshoot how i could have made it better.

I have just started hosting and my first review is 5 star and very nice but the stars do not appear with my offer. is that normal? when i go to stats i see the review and star rating but it still says 0 ratings. do i need to activate something?

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

Guests rank overall experience and then seperately rate each category. The overall experience is not an average of the other categories. I also had a 4 star overall with all others a 5 with a comment in the section of what could be done better of "nothing". Not sure what the 4 star was about. I think some people are just hesitant to rate something as 5 star. Try not to worry about it too much--- I know easier said than done.

thanks for the thoughts..  appreciated

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Hi Alan,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're trying to understand why your Overall can be lower than the individual scores?

Overall is a separate question, not an average of the others. If you receive 5-stars across the other categories, but a lower score for overall, it can mean that the guest was dissatisfied for something outside of what the specific questions covered.

For example, I had one guest that rated me 5 in the communication, value, arrival, etc. categories, but a 4 overall - she also mentioned in feedback that they would have liked a TV (I prefer to host with games/books and fewer screens - less stuff to break) and a traditional coffee maker (I just have a Keurig). It didn't affect accuracy (she got exactly what the description said), cleanliness, etc., but did affect her overall experience.

So long as you check your reviews as soon as you receive them, you can deduce how guests rated you. When you receive a string of 5-stars it'll say "Your last __ ratings were each 5 star" - as soon as you break the streak, it'll say something else.

I keep track of mine in a Google doc, so I know who gave me a 3 or a 4.

It's easy to get tied up in knots over the ratings, but try not to sweat them- you'll never please everyone. If you hear something a couple times, or it sounds like good advice (I agreed with the guy who said my wi-fi was too slow, so I upgraded it), see what you can do to resolve/implement it.

Some hosts ask for feedback if someone left a lower score. I'm not so comfortable doing that, but perhaps it's all in the approach 😉

thank you allison.  very helpful.