Review System Needs To Be Revised

Answered!
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Review System Needs To Be Revised

New standards for hosts are coming into play this year. Unless I am misunderstanding something, all hosts must maintain at least a 4.7 overall performance rating to remain on the AIrbnb platform. Super Hosts must maintain a 4.8 overall performance rating. Ratings will be based on the lifetime performance of the host (please correct me if I am wrong on this).

Those of us who have looked closely at the new method of rating our 'performance' believe it will result in many excellent, conscientious, well-reviewed hosts receiving warnings about their performance, including threats of having their listing deactivated; Super Hosts may lose their Super Host status. This should be a concern not only to all of us Hosts, but also to Airbnb Guests and Airbnb Corporate (the entire Community, really) for the following reasons:

1) Hosts will feel even more uncertain about how to intervene when guests are breaking House Rules, fearing a retaliatory review.

2)  Hosts will feel even less confident about enabling Instant Booking, as one poorly behaved guest could torpedo their ratings with an unfair / retaliatory review as 'Overall Experience' ratings appear to be calculated via a bell curve methodology versus a weighted average.

3) Competent, experienced, well-performing hosts may be driven out of the system / have their listings deactivated due to unfair reviews - Even one unfair / retaliatory review could cause untold damage to a host's business and reputation; in fact, it appears their listing could actually be de-activated if their rating is brought down below 4.7, even from just one review.

4) Super Hosts may lose their hard-earned Super Host status due to an unfair, retaliatory review.

5) Guests who cancelled are for some inexplicable reason allowed to leave reviews. So someone who never stayed in our listing could give a  host a 4 star or less 'Overall Experience' rating and our listing could be negatively impacted - Perhaps drastically.

6) From what I heard from Hosts who also travel through Airbnb as guests, when guests receive the prompt to review their stay, and their host, they are led to believe that a 4 Star rating is 'Good'; a 5 Star rating is 'Fantastic'. The truth of the matter is, a 4 Star rating is not 'Good' for us hosts at all, and can negatively impact our stats, our status, and our listing.

7) Hosts that have longevity on Airbnb will be unfairly penalized when the Overall Performance rating is determined by his or her lifetime statistics because a bell curve methodology is being used, versus a weighted average. Some hosts who have been listed on Airbnb for years are even discussing the need to delete their listing and all of their hard-earned reviews so that they can start over again with a clean slate. Also, new listings / new hosts sometimes need a learning period; they should not be forever penalized by ratings they incurred when just starting out. 

The other issue is that Airbnb seemingly is becoming more and more guest-centric - to the point where Hosts / Super Hosts fear retaliatory guest behaviors, including 'bad' reviews, for simply doing things like enforcing their House Rules or pointing out House Rules that were clearly stated in their listing, but the guest did not read. Also, guests who may have violated House Rules intentionally and blatantly are still allowed to leave reviews, which is of particular concern if the Host had to intervene when a guest was obviously breaking a rule. Sometimes these unfair / malicious / retaliatory reviews destroy a host's stats and can cause them to receive warnings that they need to 'improve' etc, or even cause a high-performing host to lose their Super Host status. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on all of this before putting this out on Host Voice - Particularly if I am not understanding the new rating system being rolled out in July.  I actually hope that I am grossly misunderstanding something - Maybe it is not as dire as I currently believe! My initial suggestion is that a weighted average be used, not a bell curve, and all sub-categories be factored into the 'Overall Experience (aka 'Performance') rating (currently they are not - I confirmed this with an Airbnb customer support rep and his manager);  I'd love to get suggestions from all of you to incorporate into my eventual 'Host Voice' post (unless another host beats me to it!)

1 Best Answer
Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Rebecca181Rebecca-When I 1st started ABB I would get what is depicted in that screen shot a lot. I never could figure it out. I asked one European lady, "why"? She said, 5 was only for luxury. At the time, I felt I was catering more to budget travelers, but I was still providing a clean, stylish place w many amenities and extras that other NYC places don't have. Really, I just don't have a doorman. 

Now, I somewhat vet them before they book any of my listings , and after I send them a guest satisfaction survey. In the survey it says if you haven't read my listing please read it before answering. I think it specifically says it on the location and accuracy questions. I have all the same categories as ABB. I also added another survey questions which is, how well do you think the photos reflect what the place actually looks like(ABB took the photos)? 

I try to sent my survey right away before they review me. I think it really helps. 

I also have "Terms" they have to agree to before they book. One of them is that if something is wrong they have to tell me right away so I can fix it. I give a long list of things that can go wrong. I also state the same  in the contract.

I have had a few nut balls who committed libel and defamation of character against me in the review. In my response, I said I hope you find a cheap place next to the ____________court house because breach of contract and defamation of character ain't cheap. Boy, did those reviews come down lickty split. I called w proof that this one nutter was lying, and was breaching 10.2 of the TOS by defaming my character. The ABB rep said she understood that my phone bill was proof that she was lying, but in the ABB world, it didn't matter. So, no help for the loyal, honest, super host, but they took it down within minutes for the creepy liar(s) when they found out there are repercussions for libel.

View Best Answer in original post

239 Replies 239

Completely agree!!!!

M76
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I really appreciate you taking the time to high light this topic. AirbandB has unfortunatly has not taken their other end user in mind: the host. I've encountered quite a few things that were very unpleasant: guests that ignored the house rules, left terrible stains and when confronted they went all banshee on me. I did not feel I should have deal with such a stress inducing backlash. Airbandb was too passive, I did not feel supported at all when trying to get the aditional cleaning costs covered by the guests that created them.

Seeing NL has a max of 60days permitted by the Goverment to host their home, there is no way a host can make it to the standard of superhost unless they have many bookings of a few days. Which is a main complaint of neighbors in our City: the sound of suitcases coming and going, and new people rotating. This is what caused them to implement the rule in the first place. Yet Airbandb hasn't connected the dots in favor of the host..yet. Perhaps they overlooked the current points system and that NL hosts aren't able to aquire that level unless they've hosted for years with this new rule that's come into play. 

As for me having to cancel a guest more than 19days in advance due to unforseen circumstances: I got fined 50$ by airbandb.

That was my second cancellation, the first one was because I was basically hounded into using instant booking when I just became a host, not knowing exactly what it entailed and was still setting up my calender. I had to cancel because the timing didn't work out.

So eventhough I go all out for my guests, by additionally cleaning even the duvets+pillows after every guest, inquiring about their dietary restrictions and leaving them food+drink, having a folder with home manual, maps, emergency numbers, great places to visit and am there for them when they need me. I will due to the current rating system not rank well. 

I hope Airbandb is reading this as well, because the customer service seems to be copy paste answers, most probably outsourced to A.I.'s

When I started I also did not understand fully, and my Calendar defaulted to completely open! I had someone book out 4 stays a month out, and was in a panic as I had no idea of my schedule! While it worked out in the end (this guest has become a commuter guest every week), I now only open up my calendar for the current week. While that might not work for everyone, with my location near the airport I get 100% booked, and I don't have to worry about the brutal host cancellation fees.  : (

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@M76 

its Airbnb

AirbandB is ...as in the comedy sketch.... unless that was your intention? Hope you manage to catch on to all the ways its tricky at the start but you'll get there xx

@Helen427 @Shawn117 @Ann10 @Sarah977 @Susan612 and anyone else reading this. A mysterious post supposedly written 3 weeks ago by Airbnb has suddenly appeared at the top of the main CC page. It is on the new rating system - it 'explains' why it is a good thing. I think some of us feel differently. Please add your voice to the comments. Link to the post here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Clarity-about-the-recent-Superhost-criteria-chang...

I am today going through the same is very irresponsable of Airbnb give to host so much power and not verify their claims in the reviews. Is like whatever you said becuausd you are guests. Unacceptable. Considering close my airbnb account down. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rebecca181   I'm so glad you posted this- the last couple days I have been thinking exactly the same thing- a list of changes that need to be made to our ratings and review system, with it being posted on Host Voice. (Great minds think alike:-)

I'll put my ideas together as succinctly as possible and get back here in a day or two.

@Sarah977

I will be glad to read your suggestions. When I first mentioned that there is a problem and some changes must be done - you told me that the system is o.k. as it is.

@Rebecca181To me N 6. - of what Rebecca wrote is one of the biggest problem. The second one is that unfair bad reviews cannot be changed.

Examples from my experience with the first problem. Receiving 4 for cleanliness and 5 overall - asking through mail why 4 - answer - but this is almost excellent,  why this is a problem - I did not put neither zero, nor 1 - this means a bad thing, a problem.  Then other guest - 5 overall and 3 times 4 - asking for reasons, and I did not protest, was only asking her to show me any wrong things which needs improvement. Answer - nothing needs improvement, that is why I put 5 overall, but for the 4 stars - that was just my subjective feeling. 

Examples from my experience with the second problem. I went beyond what is expected many times, but usually at least guests were telling me - Thank you! Twice I went beyond and was in fact punished by my guests for what I did for them. And the reviews of these 2 guests must have been all over rejected in a fair system taking into account our answers after alike fussy guests. 

@Lilly0 - Not sure I can tag you, but I do understand. It is difficult when you go way beyond for a guest and they don't give a five star review when the review was deserved. I had a guest do this once just because it rained while she was here. That was the reason she gave me a rave review, five stars in every category, but a four star for 'overall experience' - the only one that counts, really, as this is what is used to determine our rating. Any host who has had something like this happens knows that it can feel like a kick in the stomach. I do my best to not let it penetrate, but I feel it, none-the-less.

Micheala0
Level 2
Sheffield, United Kingdom

I know that feeling two well i cant understand how people can put 5 star for everything and glowing review and then you end up with a 4 which reflects on your rateings im in fear at the moment what my current guest is going to put  as on her first morning at 6.30am we saw her letting a unidentified man out of property  ive reported it to airbnb and they just say theyll charge her ten piund which was not the piont and did i have physical evedence a photograp of the event  airbnb doesent seem to care   for the hosts 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

but that is a great response from Airbnb @Micheala0 . You'll get an extra person fee added without having to jump through hoops!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Rebecca181, I'm afraid that all Your apprehensions on the new superhost rating are correct and the SH's are not aware of the concequences they will soon be faced with.

Under the old terms You could be a superhost if You have a minimum of 10 reviews, 80% of them being 5 star, You could have two 1 star reviews and still be a superhost.

Under the new terms You need a minimum of 10 reviews and an average of 4.8. That means: A single 2 star rating along with nine 5 star ratings will bring Your average down to 4.7 and You've lost Your Superhost status. Also, if You get a single 1 star rating You need 19 (nineteen) 5 star ratings to make up for that and to be back to the required 4.8 average. That's ridiculous.

Under the old terms You had to achieve 80% of the maximum possible 100%, unter the new terms You need to achieve 96% out of 100% to be a Superhost. This is a severe aggravation and I guess that two thirds of the existing Superhosts will loose their status.

into to rebel-host @Sarah977

Seems like a mistake to Airbnb to make this so much harder to maintain

- hosts will burn out, or just ignore ratings

- Airbnb plus requires 4.8 so drop out rate will go up, causing churn and guest confusion 

- hosts will look for other easier to work with platforms for STR 

hm @Ute0 it seems to me you miscalculated something bc:

ratings = 5 star reviews

4,6 = 67%

4,8 = 81% (superhost requirement)

4,9 = 90%

but I agree that it is shocking if all hosts with 4,7 rating will be deleted. It means one retaliation review or guest mistake can put you out of bussines

@Branka-and-Silvia0

I think Ute's thought that you need 96% of 100% to be a superhost comes from what happens if you get a 1-star review.

If you do get a 1-star review, you do need 19 offsetting 5-star reviews to keep an average 4.8 rating.

That is 95% 5-star ratings.. but is only necessary if you have receive a 1-star overall review rating.

The hurdle is much less for other non-5-star ratings.