Review advice-Food & Blood stained Duvets

Kim597
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Review advice-Food & Blood stained Duvets

Hi Hosts!

I just hosted a family and two duvets were left stained. In one room there were large orange stains on duvet cover with noodles in the sheets (spaghetti in bed spilled?), and in another room blood splatter on duvet cover (nose bleed?). Thanks to our awesome cleaner and her stain skills she was able to manage the stains, so I'm not interested in charging for damage.  The guest did not say anything to me about the stains, but I know there were children so perhaps parents didn't know? How would you proceed? No review, just part of doing business? Private note to guest as note sure they knew but....?  Cleanliness and communication ratings reflecting issue?  Thanks for your perspective!  

5 Replies 5
Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

I’m wondering also.  I had one guest who got blood on the mattress pad and spent an entire day trying to buy me a replacement rather than tell me, it all came out, no problem.  Then I’ve had several others who didn’t tell me, and left me to find on my own.  I think if it were food, I may just mention it in private feedback, blood I’ve never mentioned, probably because that’s so personal. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kim597  Why would you leave no review? You could mention the guests' good points, i.e. following house rules, good communication, whatever is true, and then simply say it would have been appreciated if the guests had respected the linens by not spilling food on them, or something like that. (don't mention the blood, that just comes with hosting territory)

The fact they had kids is no excuse- it's up to the parents to make sure their kids don't eat spaghetti on the duvet.

Please do not leave star ratings that don't jive with the written review. Hosts who do not use Instant Book have no access to guest star ratings, so it's a disservice to us to not mention something in the written review that you've felt necessary to rate lower on with the stars.

Why wouldn't you say something in a review. Part of a review is to allow other hosts to decide if they're a fit. Just say "Guests were quite nice. However they did not follow house rules and failed to notify us of accidents. Unfortunately we are unable to host them again."

That's all we need. That or end with  "Better suited to a hotel."

It's objective and we'll all be warned.  I make it clear no eating in the bedrooms (I have a dining room and a breakfast room and got tired of grease stains and wine, etc. on my bedroom linens and comforters.)

Kim597
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate having you hosts to bounce such things off of!  Sometimes it is clear, and other times I want I like a check on my expectations and hear other perspectives. 

I wrote a review and did note the issue with stain and not being a heads up about it. I also did select not to host again. She wrote me back after seeing the review and I sent her a photo. She apologized, offered to compensate which I declined, and thanked me for letting her know for the future.  I'm pleased with how it went and again, I appreciate your thoughts! @Michelle1851 @Sarah977 @Christine615 

Bravo!