Review policies.

Maxim3
Level 2
Russia

Review policies.

Recent guest gave me 1 star for cleaness and low overall rating,  because " Nobody came to clean the apartment and change towels during our 10 days stay".

My listing is not a hotel or serviced apartment. 

Does this review relevant to me as a host or to my listing?

Is there any chance to remove this review?

TIA

6 Replies 6
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

For the future: I found it helpful to note in the house rules, that the guest is responsable for cleaning during the stay.

Is there a service for changing the towels during a longer stay? Or how can guests get fresh towels? I guess in 10 days I would need more than one, especially if there is beach and pool provided.

Or is it the guest's responsibility to use the washing machine for the towels? All this should be communicated in advance, to make the guests happy.

It is residential home, not a hotel or resort.

There is washer and dryer in the unit.

I could not imagine that somebody expects daily cleanings and I should communicate in advance that I don't responsible for cleaning,  cooking, transfers to my place etc. I think it's nonsense.  I've never rented airbnbs that mentioned that the guest is responsible for cleaning during the guest stay. It was obviously for me.

Now I've updated house rules. 

@Maxim3   It sounds like you had a guest that wrote you a mildly critical review with disappointing star ratings, but due to communication that occurred outside of the review, you inferred that the low ratings were due to the guest expecting services that weren't on offer. That may be the case, although it's possible that the guest sees it differently and that their public review and ratings took multiple factors under consideration.

Everyone in hospitality knows the frustration that comes with entitled customers expecting things that weren't offered, and criticizing us when we still didn't provide them.  It's frustrating, but it's part of the job to handle that with panache. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Maxim3  I would try to get it removed based on irrelevance.  As long as the listing is clear that no housekeeping is offered...a guest review complaining about no housekeeping should be ruled irrelevant, but it will probably take some time/effort to find a CS rep who will agree.  Make sure you have the language of the terms of service handy.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Maxim3 yes I second @Mark116  and @Till-and-Jutta0 . We had a few early guests like this. Some people expect Airbnb to be an actual bed and breakfast (and there are some listed here.) Make sure your rules and guide for guests explains what you do and do not offer. I would also try to get the review removed. 

@Maxim3   Which of your recent reviews are you referring to? I checked your profile but I didn't see one that contained the comment you quoted.

If that remark was in the private feedback rather than the public review, you're out of luck. Airbnb only removes reviews when the public content violates the Content Policy. 

I agree that a little extra effort to set the right expectations goes a long way.