Review removed but still denied Superhost

David7664
Level 2
Broomfield, CO

Review removed but still denied Superhost

We're relatively new to hosting since August and have worked really hard to create a great experience for our guests. Fortunately we've received very good feedback from nearly everyone who has booked with us through Airbnb and the other platforms we list with.  We were on track for Superhost at the start of the year until we hosted a single difficult guest over Christmas.  They posted a defamatory review two days before the end of the year (which marked the end of the Superhost evaluation period).  It temporarily dragged our rating down to 0.2 stars under the criteria, until Airbnb determined the guest's review violated policy and removed it, but the Superhost evaluation occurred in the intervening period and we were denied as a result.  I have tried to ask Airbnb to re-evaluate the Superhost decision but they have told me it's not possible. The support ambassador I spoke with sympathized and told me if it were up to him he would process reinstatement of Superhost without question, but he could not because of how the system is designed.  It's incredibly frustrating to have our hard work be undermined at the last minute due to a single review that Airbnb has agreed was in violation, and has me questioning whether it's worth the effort to pursue Superhost status when it's so easily sabotaged.  I'm wondering if anyone else has successfully argued for a re-evaluation of a Superhost decision?

Thanks,

David

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David7664  No, it is not worth getting invested in attaining or retaining Superhost status. It has nothing to do with being a great host, as you found out with that guest tanking your rating. It's a behavior modification tool, to keep hosts stressed out. 

Thanks for the advice @Sarah977.  That's pretty much what I was feeling about it, but it's disappointing nonetheless.  Seems like this ultimately undermines the experience for guests as well.

Catherine281
Level 3
Sutton-under-Whitestonecliffe, United Kingdom

Hi, Sarah977 our response has really put it into perspective for me, I was completely hung up about maintaining the Superhost status, and now, I can see it for what it is! Thank you. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@David7664 

How many stays have you hosted since you started?

@Emilia42 12 on Airbnb so far, and several more through other booking platforms.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David7664  You were lucky that Airbnb agreed to remove the bad review and rating- it's not generally easy to get them to do that.

I see you have fantastic reviews so far- well done. You will likely have a Superhost badge pasted across your profile pic soon without doing anything special.

What ends up happening when hosts chase that Superhost badge is that they are afraid to confront guests about bad behavior, or rush around trying to please entitled, demanding guests who will never be satisfied anyway, because they are terrified of getting a bad review.

You read this in posts here all the time- a host is wringing their hands, asking for advice, saying the guests are smoking indoors, snuck in 3 extra people and 2 dogs, are driving on the lawn, are actively trashing the house, and the host says, "Should I confront them? If I do I'm sure I'll get a bad review."

That Superhost carrot leads hosts to get their priorities skewed. A bad review can be responded to or possibly removed. You cross that bridge when you come to it. If you have to spend 2 days removing the smell of cigarette smoke and repairing damaged items (and possibly cancelling the next booking to give yourself time to do that), because you were scared to boot terrible guests out, or can't bring yourself to say, "No, I'm sorry, but we don't provide that", to guests who constantly ask for extra things and seem to think you are their personal concierge, that's far more irritating and/or devastating than a bad review.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David7664 

@Sarah977 is right. No host should feel held hostage due to the fear of bad reviews. I have succumbed to this myself and lived to regret it. If a guest is miserable and horrible, likely they will leave a bad review anyway, or they just don't leave a review at all because deep down they know they behaved badly.

I have had guests in the past that I put up with too long. In hindsight, I wish I had just asked them to leave. They either left bad reviews or none at all so it made no difference that I put up with their bad behaviour rather than brought them up on it/asked them to leave.

Don't let the chase for Superhost status reduce you to letting bad guests walk all over you. If you have a great offering and the vast majority of reviews are fantastic, people will still book.

I do still cling on to my Superhost status as it means something to me. However, I will no longer let a bad guest hold me to hostage with the threat of a bad review.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@David7664 The secret to success when hosting on Airbnb is to put all of your energy into the guest screening process. Keeping those problematic guests out in the first place is key. Once they’re in the door, you are instantly at a disadvantage.

@Colleen253 this was an instant booking. I've been on the fence about turning that off for this reason.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@David7664 

Unless there is a lot of competition in your area and you feel you will disappear in the search results, I would not recommend a new host uses instant booking.

I have been using it because I am in London, and I feel like I have little choice with the amount of listings here. Still, I didn't use it in the beginning. It can be quite risky.

I had instant booking before and I had turned it off ,, it gives you more control and screening power.