Reviewing Guests who seek discounts

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Reviewing Guests who seek discounts

The dryer in my AirBNB went on the fritz and my repair man wasn't able to get parts yesterday. 
I have a local guest checking in tonight for a romantic getaway evening. As a courtesy, I notified him the dryer wasn't available even though in my listing I say the washer and dryer are available for longer term guests. (I put this language in after I had one guest stop over and used my place as a laundromat, running loads  non-stop for 6+ hours) So, technically he doesn't even qualify to use it. But I would never stop a guest from using it either.

I receive a message immediately saying this would be a terrible inconvenience to them and what kind of a discount would I be giving them. 

I've been doing this for 4 years and the only people who have ever used the washer/dryer have been week long+ stays with the one exception. No one who lives local coming for a one night stand is going to even be thinking about doing laundry. Clearly this person is the type who looks for reasons to get a discount.

Should I mention this in my review?  Something along the lines of "Joe was a great guest and I would be happy to host him again. He will, however, look for opportunities to request a discount so make sure everything is perfect."

I have no problems giving a discount when it's warranted. I've even given discounts when the guest has declined my offer to do so. So this isn't about being cheap as a host. It's about letting future hosts know this person will pounce on any opportunity to ask for a discount, no matter how minor. Because if we decline their request for a discount, it can affect our review.

58 Replies 58
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Stephanie365  I do hope this is not the kind of guest that stays and after the fact.....claims the broken appliance - because they have written on the message thread it was "terrible for them - and they turn around and get a Refund -  weird stuff does sometimes happen. 

@Clara116 @Stephanie365 All the more reason not to hand them the opportunity on a silver platter. CS is a hot mess and that is definitely a risk. Let us know how this stay turns out Stephanie! Fingers crossed all is good.

@Stephanie365  You have had so much great advice on this post. I believe @Colleen253’s initial suggestion to “ Stick to relaying what your direct experience was with the guest.” was very sound. I often have awkward initial communication but everything ends up working out fine. That being said I am also curious as @Clara116 stated how you responded to the “terrible inconvenience” message as that could set the tone of what’s to come. 

@Jillian115 @Clara116     I gave the guest a $10 discount as a platitude. What the guest didn't know was that in exchange for that $10, he did not receive any of the "extras" I provide my regular guests; bottled waters, an assortment of coffees, high end pastries for breakfast, etc. These extras are not advertised and cost more than $10. He was also paying a premium rate for the holiday weekend so I still made more than I normally would have for a regular night on a weekend.

I told him I would issue the credit at the end of his stay. To illustrate the kind of jerk he is, he hadn't even left before he filed a claim for the $10 through the resolution center, then sent me a message asking why I hadn't responded and paid him yet. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Stephanie365 

I think you took the right approach by informing the guest the dryer was broken. I haven't had a guest request a refund or discount for anything yet. If something does crop up I usually just offer a minor discount just to put the situation to rest, which is very infrequent. You could remind them of the listing states the WD is for longer term renters, offer $10 discount and be done with it. I like your approach to saying something in the review. I would also phrase it to guest. 

"Hi X! Thanks so much for your response. I'm sorry to learn this would be a huge inconvenience for you. I do believe its best for both host and guest to have great communication so that both can improve and better understand policy's and rules moving forward. In my listing I did state that the WD is for longer stays. I still try to be flexible, though, and try to accomodate guest as best I can. l'll go ahead and issue a refund of $10 refund in the resolution center after the first night of your stay."

You can choose whatever you want to do. Not issue any refund, etc. I also have a WD and will likely just remove it from the amenities, because its just an extra. 

I try to just communicate, be honest, and just not worry about it anymore. If guest tried to take advantage of minor inconvenience, I would probably just cancel them. If it was too late, then do what you think if fair, and leave accurate review, and just not stress out about it.  

PS.. I've only had more major breakdown with AC and guest were more than happy to let AC repair crew make repairs. I gave them their options. 1) Full renfund if they wanted to cancel. 2) 1 night refund if they were ok with no AC for one night (It was sill cool out at night and windows and fans worked, etc) 

I did have recent guest inform me that they would be bringing a 2 month year old. I did quote me house rule about "Not suitable for children or infants." But also let them know I thought communitcaiton was very imortnat, that I would leave it up to them to decide if they wanted to let their infant spend the night but that there wasn't room to store cribs and such. And moving forward to let host know sooner. They were super understanding as well. So just gotta communicate, which includes your circumstance as well, but also keep it very positive.   

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Well, the guy is definitely the Discount Bandwagon kind of [censored] that no one wants to host. I offered a $10.00 credit at the end of his stay as a lollipop to shut him up.  It wasn't a big deal to me to offer it as I had raised my rates quite a bit for the holiday weekend.

He thinks he knows how to play the game; however, he wasn't even out of the driveway when he checked out before submitting a claim through the Resolution Center. Didn't even give me a chance to just send the money.... or write his review. Not too bright. Needless to say, his review will reflect his pettiness. And he gets a Do Not Recommend.

This is my review so far... (not yet submitted)  Thoughts?

"In my experience, Joe Schmoe does not embody the spirit of the AirBNB Homeshare Community.  

He and his wife booked for a weekend getaway. Within 2 minutes of being notified the dryer was out of service, Joe was wanting a discount for his inconvenience.  He apparently didn't read my listing where it states the washer and dryer are amenities provided as a courtesy to guests who stay a minimum of 5 nights; his overnight stay doesn't even qualify for use.  Before he
 checked out, Joe was already online filing a claim through the Resolution Center for his compensation.

With the very disappointing exception of leaving my house unlocked when he left, Joe did follow my House Rules and he did leave my place neat. "

Cleanliness 5*
Communication 3*
House Rules 3*
Do not recommend.

I am really tempted to tell him in the private message that there are  private AirBNB /subReddit rooms with black lists for guests who scam discounts so he might want to rethink his behavior. Maybe he can waste a few hours looking for them wondering if his name is on it. 🤣

I really like your reply @Stephanie365 , it is certainly what I would WANT to write if I had your misfortune in running into a guest like this! That said, I think @Mark116 offers good advice in that you are probably going into too much detail here - which may backfire on you, unfortunately. I’d keep it much shorter and less specific.

@Stephanie365  I like  your draft review. I wouldn't send him a private message, though, however tempting. It's best not to further engage with jerks like that- it'll just prompt some nasty message in return. 

The good thing about short termers is when they check out, you never have to see or speak to them again. Sayonara, baby. Don't let them take up residence in your head or message box.

@Stephanie365 I’d go read the current review policies. I think mentioning the RC could get it pulled. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Stephanie365 still think you're opening a Pandora's box w so much detail just say it was a negative experience &he didn't seem suited to the platform and you don't recommend &would not host.,

Anthony1363
Level 2
Inglewood, CA

Colleen253,

🙈🤭

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Stephanie365 

“If I had a choice between this guest and Nobody, I would choose Nobody.”

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

I always take my time writing less than 5* reviews. It gives me the chance to mull things over and seek the wisdom of other hosts.

How is this?

"This guest does not embody the spirit of the AirBNB Homeshare Community.

Joe was incredibly quick to jump on the “I Want A Discount” bandwagon due to an unavailable amenity; an amenity his brief stay did not even entitle him to use.  Should I add, "His immediate request for a discount was well-practiced"?

While he did leave my place neat, he did not lock up my home upon check out, which is absolutely unacceptable.  I would not host him again."

@Stephanie365 I would leave out the judgments and just state the facts.

"Joe demanded a discount on his one-night stay for lack of a working dryer, which we do not advertise as available to short-term guests. On departure he left the place tidy but unlocked. We would not host him again."