Reviewing a mediocre guest

Anastasia100
Level 2
Nantucket, MA

Reviewing a mediocre guest

Need some advice on how to write my review of a mediocre guest. 

1 . Guest requested early arrival and late check-out (check-out date was New Year's Day, lol)

2. STRONGLY suspect guest was over occupancy (based on furniture being moved and amount of trash generated in 2-night stay)

3. Rug was stained (guest billed for replacement and promptly paid)

4. Guest left TV and lights on and door unlocked upon departure

5. Guest's stay required laundering of all comforters and quilts 

Thanks for any suggestions. I do not want to write a petty review, but over occupancy is a concern as is leaving the home unlocked upon departure.

8 Replies 8
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Anastasia100 

If you have no definitive proof that the guest brought in extra people, that can should not be added to the review.

Just make it factual, tell that you wished the guest had paid attention as he left the house unlocked.

If he paid for the Rug, leave that out as well. You can mark him down on cleanliness. 

A simple "I believe this guests are ore suited to a Hotel" is enough for other hosts. 

@Roberta2   A lot of people seem to forget that hosts who don't use Instant Book can not see star ratings left for guests, and they rely on the review text to make good decisions.  "Better suited to a hotel" is universally recognized as a negative, but it's not enough. It would be more helpful to convey the substantial degree of risk this guest may entail. 

I think @Mike-And-Helen0 's suggestion is fair:  just the facts, no unsubstantiated accusations, and enough information for hosts to glean what kind of guest this was.

Thanks! I think the fact that he quickly paid for the rug is an asset to him, so curious why you think I should not mention that? Appreciate your time and feedback, Roberta!

@Anastasia100  Was his payment for the rug enough of an asset that you'd be willing to host him again, despite his other known and suspected actions?

@Anastasia100  The fact that he paid for the rug damage is an asset for you. But mentioning it in the review tells others that he caused damage. If a guest is forthcoming with payment for damages without any fuss, it doesn't seem fair to mention the damage in the review and could lead a guest to think "Wow, I guess no good deed goes unpunished." When someone makes good on their errors, there's no need to bring their errors to the public's attention.

Conversely, if there was an issue with the unit for a guest, like maybe an appliance that wasn't working properly, and they informed you and you attended to it right away, would you want them then complaining about the non-working appliance in the review?

That isn't to say you shouldn't make it clear in the review that the guest left the place in an unacceptable state- other hosts will want to know that, but I just wouldn't make specific mention of the damage he paid for.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Anastasia100 

X requested early check in and late check out which I was able to provide. After check out the door was left open and furniture needed to be returned to its original position.

Additional cleaning was required and the amount of rubbish left was excessive for the number of people booked and paid for.

Thanks you so much, Mike and Helen! I appreciate this well-constructed response.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Would you host this guest again?  @Anastasia100   I think that is the crux of the issue.  If not, why set up another host for the carelessness, possible recklessness and definite lack of respect for your listing.