Reviewing guests on their cleanliness

Zoe34
Level 7
Columbia, MO

Reviewing guests on their cleanliness

I am in need of some advice.  I rented my upstairs apartment to guests this weekend for our college's homecoming weekend.  They were very nice and friendly, quiet enough, and I didn't have any complaints.  Until I just went upstairs to clean...  They left the place in decent condition, but there was a barf bag full of puke left in the trash bag in the trash can.  I understand it's better than barfing on the floor and leaving it, but my thoughts were: they could have bagged up the trash and put it outside; they could have dumped the puke contents down the toilet and threw away the bag/bagged it up; they could have thrown the barf bag out elsewhere.  How do I review them?  I'm the type of person who doesn't typically like conflict of any sort, but I feel like this should be mentioned in their review somehow.  Or should I privately message them?  What do I say?  I've hosted 40+ different guests and haven't really had anything like this happen, so any input would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Zoe34 While you may have wanted them to handle it differently, I think the guest did just fine and doesn’t warrant mentioning anything in their review or dinging their cleanliness score. It’s in a bag, in the trash - exactly where it should be. Like you said, be happy they didn’t do less. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The less picky hosts are, the happier they will be. Just about every every guest does something 'odd'. Not worth mentioning in my view.

Agree with @Fred13

While it is true the guest did not handle the situation in the way you preferred,

it seems clear from the level of effort that the guest was making an honest effort

to keep the place clean.

Unless the guest had specific instructions about what to do,

it seems overly picky to knock the guest for doing what they did.

Ann3
Level 10
Savannah, GA

I agree with the hosts above, and here's what I do: ask the guests to take out their own trash. My checkout checklist is super-short:  (1) take out trash and recycling; (2) put dirty dishes in the dishwasher; (3) turn out the lights; and (4) if you've moved furniture, put it back. 

I've never had pushback or negative comments and it saves me having to notice what they threw out during their stay.