Reviews and ratings by guests - somethings changed!

Elaine119
Level 2
Sandhurst, United Kingdom

Reviews and ratings by guests - somethings changed!

I've been hosting since 2016 and have been a superhost for much of that time.  Most of our reviews are 5* for everything with the occasional dip as we would expect as you can't please all of the people all of the time.  However our last 4 guests have marked us down to 4* on cleanliness and under this rating there are various comments eg "dusty" which I've never seen before.  Our cleaning is thorough and nothing has changed for us (apart from my cleaner is getting very upset because of the drop in rating). 

Is Airbnb suddenly inviting people to give too much feedback for the ratings and encouraging them to be very fussy? 

Has anyone else experience this recent change?

22 Replies 22
JR26
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Yes, I have noticed this since January. I believe the comments are only visible to you, not potential guests. I have gotten two such comments "bathroom smell" and "shower." One benefit is that guests can comment exactly what led them to give you the rating. Cleanliness seems to be the hardest hit aspect across the listings I've surveyed over the past year. There is so much that can go wrong or unnoticed, and people have different standards of cleanliness, so don't take it too harshly! I haven't noticed from my experience that this has invited low ratings; it has actually been the opposite in my reviews: fewer 4 star cleanliness but the comments have been more like gentle suggestions! 

I have started monthly thorough cleanings: wash all the blinds, baseboards, fan blades, minifridge, picture frames; weekly dust bookshelves, sweep/mop under beds/funiture. Some guests will go to great lengths to catch a dust bunny and report you!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Elaine119 

The good thing is that there is no mention of 'dust' or lack of cleaning on your public reviews so guests have chosen to keep that feedback private (which I would be very thankful.) 

I do not automatically assume that all guests are correct but when more than one guest (in a short period of time) mention an area that needs improvement, I would think to myself that maybe I am missing something. Try to remove any personal feelings and don’t look at the review as an attack. Get a fresh pair of eyes in the space to really go through it. When we get into a routine some things can be overlooked.

Elaine119
Level 2

But has something changed recently in the way guests are asked for reviews?  

@Elaine119   Yes. Not super recently but back about a little less than a year ago, the guest review form was changed- it is now pages and pages long and asks guests to comment on a ton of things- was there toilet paper? towels? soap? Was it better then expected? A bit less than what you expected? Exceeded your expectations? Then they have a page of "Compliments" where they can check icons for "sparkling clean", "easy check-in", etc. It goes on and on.

It's like Airbnb is actively encouraging them to find something that needs improvement.

Elaine119
Level 2

thanks, Sarah. I wasn't aware of this. 

@Sarah977 wrote:

@Elaine119   Yes. Not super recently but back about a little less than a year ago, the guest review form was changed- it is now pages and pages long and asks guests to comment on a ton of things- was there toilet paper? towels? soap? Was it better then expected? A bit less than what you expected? Exceeded your expectations? Then they have a page of "Compliments" where they can check icons for "sparkling clean", "easy check-in", etc. It goes on and on.

It's like Airbnb is actively encouraging them to find something that needs improvement.

Thanks, Sarah. I recently had my first "guest" experience and will start booking trips to review the review process. I didn't get those questions but it did ask questions such as "did you have to climb any stairs, even if just a few" (yeah, there were two steps...), "was there a pool, a gym, etc." which were never advertised or expected on the farm location. I don't know the purpose of those questions other than to investigate if the host could advertise more amenities. Yes, there was dust in far reaches of the cabin I rented but it was acceptable for the $52 I paid, the rest was spotless. I gave all 5 stars, and although introducing myself to the host as a fellow host across state, she didn't leave me a guest review 😕

@JR26  A friend of mine who hosts a private suite in her home had a guest mention "dust" in her review. My friend went into the guest suite (she hadn't had another guest yet) to try to figure out where this woman found dust, as the host, a nurse by profession, is a super thorough cleaner. She finally found, no kidding, one square centimeter of dust in the very back corner of the book shelf on the headboard, what might be left if you didn't get the dustcloth worked right into the very edge of the corner.

Sarah, a guest told me this same thing recently. He said it's as if Airbnb wants the guests to say at least something negative about the space. I'd like to see this questionnaire.

Priyanka7
Level 6
Cape Town, South Africa

I agree, I think their new review system essentially makes guests more critical

Great. IMO. Hosts are sometimes so set in their way, they start believing how great they all are. Guests comment are opportunities to get guests perspective and improve, improve and improve. Quality!! On the other hand, I guess some narrow minded hosts regard guest that fail to see it THEIR way as fussy, nitpick. Get a good book on quality dear

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Oad0 

That's at least 4 posts you've made insulting hosts in the past few hours. If you're so spectacular, and such an accomplished "professional" yourself, why hide behind a blank profile? Why not let us all see your own credentials, so we can judge and critique you, like you appear to consider yourself qualified to do to everyone else? Otherwise, quit trolling. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarah977 

Well said Susan,

I said in another post today, many people come here wanting advice on how to do it right, not be lectured and criticised on what they may have done wrong.

We need to help each other.  Trolls........leave your keyboard alone and go and find some other balloon to pop!!

Cheers.....Rob

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Elaine119, many new users appear. Some of them just enjoy the way to feel important criticizing others. They feel themselves powerful! Such behavior is supported by list of questions in review... 

So, we have to learn take it easier, I guess. Just today got 3 on location (not in the center! Surprise for non-readers!). I’m learning to use public answers to highlight the important information:)

Elaine119
Level 2

Yes, Yuliannao, I'm sure you're right . I've also had comments re improving information that suggests things that are there already, eg telling people about steep steps when they are clearly mentioned and pointed out in a photo!