Reviews - bit of a nightmare

Claire637
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Reviews - bit of a nightmare

Hi all - I'm hoping to pull on some advice please.

We have been hosting since the start of this year, and have had 19 very amazing experiences, and pretty much straight 5 star ratings.  However, our luck was bound to run out at some point.

We have recently hosted a couple and their friends.  It was a slightly longer than average stay so, midway through, we messaged them asking if they wanted us to give the property a clean, change the bed sheets etc. which they refused, but asked to meet with us.

We immediately telephoned them to ask if everything was ok, during which the guest quite abruptly told us that we were hosting her in a property that was not fit for anyone to live in!  She then went through a list of nine separate issues she had with the house, and how they were required to be attended to immediately.  To our view, only one of the issues was a matter that was required to be addressed relatively quickly.

Regardless, we met her at the property a few hours later, where she insisted that we look at each of the nine issues which she had discussed on the telephone and subsequently send us photographs of, together with her, and allow her to 'tell' us what was needed to be rectified.

The issues ranged from a light switch which had recessed slightly into the wall (which I would put in the needs fixed relatively quickly list and called an electrician immediately), to the emergency panic buttons in the house not being clearly signed as for emergency use only and making clear that they are not light switches (despite them stating emergency in red capital letters and being quite different from the light switches).  The floor (which I cleaned myself and know was immaculate) was the most disgusting floor she had ever seen, the front door was too stiff for her to open, and only the heat light in the bathroom worked, with the non-heat light spotlight requiring to be changed.  There were various other issues ranging from a plank on the deck that needed a nail to a ceiling light in a bedroom not working (we had actually deliberately had that light disconnected as the room was far too bright with the other lights otherwise).

Anyway - suffice to say, the issues (with the potential exception of the light switch) were non-issues and, indeed, the light she was bothered about would have been changed had she not arrived early for check-in and while the house was still being prepared.

Her feedback was one thing (and to be honest quite good to receive as we fixed every single one of her non-issues promptly and know that no-one else will ever be able to find anything to complain about as they would never go to the length that she did to find issues, however it was the way that she did it that really bothered us.  She was incredibly rude and condescending in the way that she spoke to us and, to be honest, a bit of a bully as she continually said she would not going to provide adverse feedback if we immediately rectified the issues (which we did).

So to the issue.  This morning, we received a message from the guest which was quite hard to read.  Rather than being addressed to us, it was addressed to "Dear Sirs"  It has lots of typos within it, but I think it basically says "We provided feedback on this property but it has not been published on the site".

I initially took this to mean that the guest was telling us they have left private feedback only and no public feedback.  But as I think about it, I think the guest has actually thought they were emailing Airbnb to complain that the (presumably adverse) feedback they have provided on our property is not showing on the Airbnb website, without realising it is because it is within the 14 days and we haven't yet left feedback.

We were actually minded not to leave any feedback for the guest and just put this down to (a very bad) experience.

The bottom line is that, due to the way they spoke to us and thought it was their place to tell us what we should and shouldn't do with our property in a very condescending way (and the threat of adverse reviews if we didn't immediately fix things (which we considered to be minor at best)), we would not host the guests again and would not recommend them.  But I can see if becoming a legal nightmare as they mentioned how experienced Airbnb users they are (looks like they have 8 positive reviews) and how they will not accept a bad review.  I could actually see them instructing lawyers (which we would have to follow on with).

What are everyone's thoughts?  I have drafted a review that sets out factually what happened, and allows other hosts to make up their own mind.  I have (in my draft) explained what each of their issues were, and how we were grateful for the feedback but the condescending way in which it was delivered was not acceptable.

Funnily enough, we received another 5 star review from our guest who stayed after this guest this morning.  This anticipated bad review is going to badly effect our overall rating.

Thanks all - we have literally lost sleep over this and trying to work out what's best to do!

8 Replies 8
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Claire637 Did you receive a notification that the guest has written you a review? If they have, you would have been notified, with a reminder to write your review for them.

Their email to you could also perhaps be a poorly-worded threat that they are going to leave this as a review. If they do say anything more specific, i.e. if you don't give us a refund we'll submit this review, report it to Airbnb immediately.

I would definitely review this guest, as a warning to other hosts. Maybe she's done this before to other hosts and they didn't want to mention it in their feedback. Did you check out the feedback she's left for other hosts?

Legally, as long as you're factual, what is a lawyer going to say about an Airbnb review? You could simply state something like, "I would not host these guests again" with a thumbs down and low marks on communication. I would consider not leaving a longer review, as the longer and more detailed the review becomes, the more chance that Airbnb will delete it: it comes up again and again on the board. As long as you're not making accusations, they have absolutely no leg to stand on. And really, what seventh circle of pettiness do you have to have reached in order to start suing over an Airbnb review?

No matter what you do, you cannot stop the guest from leaving a bad review, if that's what they're going to do. If they leave a negative review, consider leaving a short, professional rebuttal, TBD depending on what they say. It is very important not to come across as angry or defensive: remember that your response is for the benefit of future guests, not the guest who has already stayed.

Good luck! If you want to run your guest review by anyone, add it here. It doesn't hurt to have a second (third, fourth...tenth) set of eyes.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Claire637 I view people collectively as 19/20 being delighful and a joy to be with, and the still remaining 1/20 as being either a certifiable lunatic or a cunning scammer, or both. In some social circles the rtion may be 9/10. LOL

I also classified guests by types: this piece of work falls under the tricky 'Home Inspector' type. Lucky you.

The lunatic part is to be so insuffarable about silly things and the panic tempo they have to be addressed for her to be in 'balance' (ADD?). The scammer part is that she is 'making a deal' with the review. In essence, she enjoys being a lunatic, but wants to get away with it (again) by not getting a bad review. Now you know why she hasn't gotten a bad past review before. It is like a game of getting away with abusive behavior.

There will be two opportunities to review this character; the initial one and the subsequent 'response' one, the review after  you get to read her initial one. On the first, perhaps the old standard - 'This guest is better suited to stay at a hotel, not a private home' - may be best. The follow-up response, that is another matter, it needs to be cunning and its main purpose is to show future guest how cool you can be as a host.

Overall advice, do not plunge into line-by-line defensive minutae, stay above the fray, if anything make light of the case, since you are writing for the next 19/20 before you get, in all probability, your next nutcase. Btw, I would not pay any attention at anything else she says, it is all window dresssing and part of the 'game'. 

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

Hi @Claire637 What a nightmare guest!!! I've looked at your listing.... and it looks immaculate! You have also received all 5 Star and great reviews from all your previous guests.... so, obviously this guest either has a real problem, or is just a trouble maker! 

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way of escaping the negative review that the guest has threatened to leave you.... 

I agree with what @Alexandra316 says about not leaving a long, drawn out review. 

I think that @Fred13s advice is spot on, keep your initial review short but to the point. Brace yourself for what they have to say in their review of you.... probably best not to respond straight away, as emotion can get in the way of clear thinking. But then a clever response review, without going into retaliation or defence mode, will show your future guests that this guest's review is not worth considering over and above all the other great reviews you already have!

Good luck!

I hope they don't get the urge to travel my way!! 

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

Hi @Claire637  What a horror of a person, agree with all previous hosts Unfortunatley you will always get 1 every now and then, Just take it on the chin and be the better person, In writing your review just put a note that this person would be better suited to a hotel / motel, and keep it short and sweet. I think all hosts reading the review definitly understand what that comment means.

Good luck for future, ps, let us know how it goes. 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Claire637   In the future, do not carry on phone conversations with guests about any issues. Insist that you only want to communicate via the Airbnb messaging system. That way you have back up documentation should the guest lie about something in their review (the host never fixed the broken things), or attempt to extort you ("she continually said she would not going to provide adverse feedback if we immediately rectified the issues"). Had she stated this in an Airbnb message, you would have proof of extortion, which is against airbnb policy and a basis for having a nasty review deleted.

Claire637
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Hi folks - thank you so much for your advice, it really helped!!

So - update, I took the keep it short and sweet advice and submitted.

Both reviews now public and, erm, we got a pretty good review in the end.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhkkkkkkkk!!!

Well, truth be told, we wouldn't recommend and wouldn't host again, so it is what it is, but I don't feel great about life right now!!

I'm glad it was a good review, and the Guest kept her word. However, you gave truthful feedback, and I don't see a reason for wanting to host her again either. Don't feel bad for not wanting to be treated like a servant. And don't feel bad for telling the truth.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Claire637    Don't feel bad about being honest. Reviews aren't tit for tat- you leave me a good review and I'll leave you a good review. The guest was entitled and demanding, and you were a responsible, caring host. So the reviews were both honest, and reflected the situation, which is the point of reviews.