Reviews/reimbursement

Christy88
Level 2
Portsmouth, NH

Reviews/reimbursement

A party of what should have been only four (my house max) checked out yesterday and the house was in the worst condition it’s ever been in. Sheets were not stripped off the bed, tons of beer left in the fridge, crumbs and cups all over the counter yet, and two uneaten pastries in a box in one bedroom, and leftover clothes on the floor and in a bag. I called them and the daughter of the person who booked called me back and said they locked the door behind them prematurely. She was apologetic and offered to pay extra. At that time I didn’t know there were two extra people that had stayed. Then a few hours later the son came to pick up the clothes and beer. An hour later, the original booker said her son took a blanket by mistake and had dropped it off on my porch. When I went outside there were now two blankets, but one wasn’t mine. I started to get suspicious about the total number of people who stayed because the son must have slept on the couch (not a sleeping option) because the blanket he took and packed up was only on the couch. I ended up texting with them, they felt horrible and admitted there were two friends who “surprised” them and they again offered to pay extra. I explained to them that I would charge them extra but since they were pretty apologetic, I’d not bother writing a review since it’d be awful and I think their younger son was the worst “offender” in terms of the mess, but the two extra people made me so angry anyway. So, I sent them a request for another $81.50, and I haven’t gotten paid yet, and they’ve since written me a review, which of course I can’t see until I wrote one for them. I wonder if they’re waiting to see if I write a review before they pay me? What do you think? I guess at this point I will just wrote an honest review and if it means they don’t pay me, then that’s just the chance I take. Any thoughts are appreciated. 

3 Replies 3
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I would send them another message requesting payment. (I would also leave a brief factual review, for the benefit of other hosts, including the mitigating factors.)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Seems like there's lot of people these days who think that apologizing somehow pays the bills.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Christy @ as challenging as it may be, please write an honest review and rate them accordingly, remember it was a group so those people may also have individual Airbnb accounts/ profiles.

They may also have other Social media accounts that may link together and ID each other, there's no harm in you doing an internet search prior to your review.

And the best, we have the right to respond to Guests Reviews so keep that up your sleeve and utilise it.

Have just had a challenging couple of guests myself but not anywhere like yours.

Think back to school days and school reports when you write yours!

Meanwhile feel free to use mine as an idea for Templates...

All the best

Shame the beers were picked up, as beer's great for homemade bread...Alas under various Storage laws you do have legal obligations to keep and return left behind property within various time limits..

Future hosts will appreciate your honesty.