Reviews submitted during a damage dispute

Scott494
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Reviews submitted during a damage dispute

I strongly feel that Airbnb should not allow either a host or guest during a damaged property dispute.  It seems like common sense, agreed?

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Many, many hosts agree, @Scott494.  It is a set up for the retaliatory review.

Anna9908
Level 4
Morganton, GA

OMG - THANK YOU!!!! I recently had this issue!!  I confronted a guest about damages after their stay! They immediately got defensive and left me a review! Of course, then you cannot see the review until you submit one! I finally submitted one to see what they said about my property and of course, this guest ruined my 5 star reviews! He gave me a 3 star overall and mentioned it wasn't because of the property at all! I am trying to get AirBNB involved now to help resolve the issue and remove the feedback because his feedback is 100% bias! I feel like 1.) if a damage dispute is raised, it should immediately take away their right to review the property. Additionally, 2.) I think anyone who has a history of damage disputes should have to pay a refundable deposit for their next stay! If anyone has an expierence trying to remove a biased review, let me know! I am curious if Airbnb actually has a hosts back on this!

Here is the latest update to my case!

Would they pay out for the damage, NOPE! So then I asked if they would remove the review because it was clearly biased and sent in retaliation. Here is the example, he gave me an overall 3 stars, but rated me a 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, & 5 on sub-categories. AirBNB refused to remove it. I told them it was biased and left in retaliation. Even in the review, the guest states the property was amazing. 

Here is exactly what he said:  “great cabin; 4wd is no joke. but please do a thorough inspection of the place as soon as you get there; door jams, locks, windows, appliance, etc , and report any and all issues IMMEDIATELY as the owner will hold you liable for the damaging if you did not report the damages. the three stars are not because of the cabin; the space is wonderful and the amenities are great. the cabin was spotless when we entered and felt like home. two stars were taken for the fact that we were flat out accused of damages we didn't commit, which have otherwise ruined what was a great trip for my girlfriend and i. also, there are no blinds in any of the house so you do feel a little exposed at night.” 

Shouldn't this be removed?

Airbnb support sent me this message: "Airbnb’s review policy guides hosts and guests to write reviews which are relevant and will help our community make informed booking decisions.

We examined the content of this review, but we did not identify any violations of our policy. For this reason, we are unable to remove the review from the Airbnb website."

UPDATE: HAPPY to report the latest status update! In the message where Airbnb initially refused to remove the listing, I provided them the screenshots of the review where I had concerns. I also wrote "Can I escalate this to a manager?" and the very next message was that they agreed it should be taken down for "relevancy", saying that those comments aren't helping people when choosing a booking! I am also not sure but I think writing on this community board really helped!! I hope if anyone is in this situation try the tips above. Maybe, it can help in the future!