Reviews that Can hurt your business

Iris231
Level 2
Houston, TX

Reviews that Can hurt your business

I hosted a group of 4 people. Unfortunately their car was broken into twice. The young lady informed me via regular text message and not airbnb message. I clearly have on my listing that parking in only available on the street in three different areas of it. Plus 4 days prior to their arrival I gave the check-in instructions that parking in on the street and free for all. Prior to her stay none of my previous guests had ever reported this issue nor in the past 3 years that I lived there had that happened to me. I reached out to the guests to inquire about the police report number so I can be proactive and provide to my HOA to get additional police runs in that area for extra vigilance. Turns out her car was not broken into but the father of the guest. This is where her review is a little inaccurate. I'm afraid that with this review I may get cancellations, or no future bookings. What do you recommend I should write as a public response to her post as it may be misleading and advertising that the area is dangerous... as it can be in any big city of over 6 mm people. 

Her personal response "Iris’s place was great, but this would influence my decision to book again, unfortunately. If you want to run the risk with parking on the street, Iris’s condo was great and top-notch. I hate that this affected our overall experience." is quite misleading... not sure how to approach this. 

I also have a nest thermostat that is on  a schedule and can easily be manually modified on your settings. Not sure why this had to be pointed out or an issue. 

"Let me start by saying the inside of Iris’s condo was exactly as expected and advertised. Her directions were easy to follow. Everything was taken care of for us and we were pretty comfortable (aside from being a little warm at a set 72 degrees at night). Beds were great, condo was very clean, etc. The next part is out of Iris’s control technically but I would want to know before booking. Our car was broken into TWICE in daylight hours. Since parking is only provided on the street, our car was exposed to the foot traffic that happened often. We parked literally right in front of the complex, steps from the gate. Busted glass, blood in the car, ridiculousness. Later, when driving, we realized 1-2 blocks away was a HUGE homeless population staying in tents and boxes. This contributed to the foot traffic passing the condo. Again, this could happen anywhere...but outside the condo we did not feel the safest. We ended up parking our cars at a secure location 10 min away at a friend’s place and using an Uber to and from our cars just to avoid another break-in. Iris’s place was great, but this would influence my decision to book again, unfortunately. If you want to run the risk with parking on the street, Iris’s condo was great and top-notch. I hate that this affected our overall experience."

THANKS! your help is greatly appreciated. 

11 Replies 11
Iris231
Level 2
Houston, TX

posting.JPG

@Iris231  One consequence of writing a review response is that it will draw more attention to the negative portion of the review than the reader might have ordinarily given.

If the only question of accuracy is which member of the party was the owner of the burgled car, I wouldn't say it was misleading. It is true that there's going to be a risk of car break-ins when you use inner-city street parking, no way around that, and people from less urban environments - such as Pineville, Louisiana, pop. 14,429 - might not feel safe in midtown Houston.

Rather than addressing this review directly, I'd suggest adding more detail to your listing's depiction of the neighborhood. You don't have to say it's dangerous - I'm sure it's just fine for people with basic street smarts - but perhaps emphasize that it's an inner-city location (which should be obvious, but still...). Take care to mention the distance to important public transport links and the nearest secured-parking area. And if your booked guests ask about street parking, advise them not to activate their car alarms and leave no valuables inside the vehicle. My neighborhood used to have an extremist group that set luxury cars on fire in the middle of the night - which I disclosed to people arriving by car in the most whimsical way possible. 

@Iris231    I agree with @Anonymous   don't respond directly, use it as an opportunity to explain (in as short a paragraph as possible), sell your place and point out the pros and cons of big city life for the clueless and a note to read your description on your listing where you could put all the pertinent information. Most people will see the review for what it is, an inexperienced traveler with no street smarts whatsoever.  I always say parking on the street is difficult and send a link of parking garages nearby.  As for the homeless population that is her own prejudice and I would ignore it.  I had someone who complained a homeless person asked her for money,  in a city with over 65,000 homeless people who are in every neighborhood and on the subways. The vast majority of homeless are homeless, not thieves and miscreants.

Thank you @Ange2  and @Anonymous , I too agree with the both of you. I have jotted down some important information to add to my listing while as well giving an option for private parking of only one car to my future guests. And you are right, there is technically nothing that can be done with the homeless in any city. I for one have not had a bad experience with them and as a world traveler myself I am fully aware of streets smarts and know that anything can happen. Thank again for your advice, it is fully noted. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The break in happened. Period.  You have been hosting for less than a year so that it did not happen to any other guest is probably related to luck.  I think the review is very positive but it is also accurate for the guest to call out the break in experience.  You do not always add a response, so I would not provide a response to this one as all you can do is say "Sorry.  Not my fault if your car was broken into."

What do you know about the safety of on street parking in your area?  I would be curious if this was a rare experience or a common  one.  Is there protected parking near-by?  If so, perhaps you can provide referrals for guests concerned about street parking.

@Linda108 I actually requested a copy of the police report to confirm it took place and where. Once I reviewed it I noticed  that happened to be around the block and away from the building it's self and not steps from the gate as she "detailed" in her post. That is part of the inaccuracy. Had they parked their vehicle there it would not have happened as the town homes across the street and the building I host has windows to view that clear area. Unfortunately it happened in an area where there is no visibility and hidden from plain eye site.   I have actually been hosting this place since 2017, first as a shared home with me with one bedroom to my guests and they as well did not have issues parking next to the building which is what I always suggest to concerned ones. I am not trying to justify why, but I would have hoped her review would have been a little more accurate of the details versus clearly saying if you park in front by the gate your car would get broken into. Plus who knows if valuables in her car were in plain eye sight. One has to vigilant themselves especially in a large city like Houston. One of course can only do so much. 

@Iris231  Hi - you are getting too hung up on tiny details: fact - their car was broken into while staying at your place. She an honest review and I agree with the advice already provided here. Personally I would reply along the lines of: Thanks for staying with me and I'm glad you liked the place. This is the first time I've ever encountered an issue with a car being vandalised - it's standard practice to ensure all valuables are out of sight. As per my listing there is also off street parking available close by

@Iris231  I find that when people have a negative experience during their trip - even one that you can't do anything about - it's unfortunately likely to influence their review and rating. Maybe they get bad weather on their beach holiday, or have a marital quarrel, get pickpocketed on the subway, or catch food poisoning at a restaurant. Things don't go as planned, and they're likelier to find fault with everything else about the experience.  In this regard, it's very fortunate that your guest took care to distinguish the high quality of your home and hosting from the negatives with the burglary. I agree with @Gerry-And-Rashid0  that the inaccuracies are too trivial to be worth pointing out. 

@Anonymous Very valid point, after @Gerry-And-Rashid0 response I looked at it more from that perspective and have decided to take no further action. I will just update my listing and highlight the good points and bad in a nicely fashion so that all future guests are aware and not take by surprise. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Iris231 

So unfortunate, but not something that you have any control over Iris. Let it go, it will soon slip into obscurity as long as you don't make a big deal of it with a public negative response to their review. Street parking is a risk anywhere in the world and prospective guests who are going to bypass your listing because you do not offer secure parking would be guests that are not worth having stay anyway.

The guest did go to considerable lengths over the car business but the only part I found a bit offensive is saying ....'but outside the condo we did not feel the safest'. That is unnecessary and casts an integrity shadow over your entire area. But nevertheless you should let it go Iris....the guest did stress that it was unfortunate that it affected the otherwise great quality of the stay and your hosting.

As I said, it will soon be down on page 3 or 4 of your reviews and nobody will see it.

Just get on with being a great host, hey!

Cheers.....Rob

S17
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Crime can happen anytime anywhere.  It is a matter of opportunity.  It is not the neighborhood or your fault.