Reviews

Marilyn115
Level 2
Langley, WA

Reviews

I get glowing reviews either orally and or in my guest book, but I am not getting the same people to respond with a review through Airbnb. Is there anyway to politely ask people to write the online review - or is it just best to leave it alone. I did have many super reviews early on, but lately the guests are not taking that extra step. Any suggestions? I do always take the extra step on my part, and thank them in a personal way for stayng.

13 Replies 13

@Marilyn115

it isnt easy ....i do find that guests do choose between the guest book or the review system but dont always like to do both...true...

I tend to send a message to guests after they have left...thanking them for the reservation and say that

"Airbnb encourages guests to write a review after their Airbnb stay.These reviews give other potential guests feedback, on both the property and the host, and are often vital in giving Airbnb users confidence in a host, as well as giving extra information on a property listing, which they may need before making a reservation decision. We welcome any private feedback via the Airbnb messaging system on any opinions and suggestions you may have of how we can further improve our apartment offer" 

I leave it at that...if they do..they do..if they dont..they dont

Although I have started leaving my review of them until day 10+ after their stay.. it kinda gives them the idea that I am not doing my review until I have seen that they have done theirs..

Whether that helps me..I don't know 

Mike,

Thank you very much for the excellent way to educate guests as to the importance of the reviews! 

Terrific wording!!  If I may copy it? I shall try it with my last guest!

Very kind of you to respond!

Cheers from Whidbey Island, near Seattle, WA

Marilyn

P. S. Just for the record, what does level mean? I am level 2?

@Marilyn115

Thanks..if the wording is of use to you..use it..by all means

I was in Seattle a couple of years ago...and the Olympic National Park...fantastic

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I have resisted providing a guestbook, @Marilyn115, for that very reason. When I find a nice note from guests after checkout, I can be sure I won't be getting a review from them. In another thread in the forum, we determined I am not the only host to experience this. Some guests like to keep their poetic enjoyment of the place private between them and me. Providing a guestbook facilitates that a little too well, I think.

But it's okay. If you are not teetering on the precipice of 50% of guests reviewing, don't worry about it. 

If you are at 50% and falling, you might send a message that says something like, "What a lovely note you left! Wow, looking forward to your review!" 

Sounds a bit forward, so do soften as you think appropriate. 🙂

Lawrence,

Thank you very nuch for the guest review idea. I think I will get rid of my guestbook also!

Cheers !! from Whidbey Island near Seattle!

Marilyn

Marilyn we have a guestbook and guests love it. They write what restaurant they like, places to see etc. What teams they root for and so on. My reviews with Airbnb are at 85 0/0 and after a guest leaves I thank them and ask to leave a review with Airbnb. Happy Hosting

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Marilyn115 I have a guest book, and I have a 95% review rate  (maybe even higher by now) after a year of hosting, so the two don't always work against each other. I have found that when a guest can note an improvement or suggestion in the guest book, they are unlikely to mention it in the review, and the review may benefit from their having had a chance to express it in the guest book. This was true for me when I first opened and offered a smaller listing and was still learning about hosting and amentities, etc. These days the Guest Book is used mostly to thank me and leave notes for future guests about places to go and things to visit (I also have a section in my 'Welcome Binder' for guests to leave their own restaurant reviews - That has been a big hit). 

I also do have a written note on my Welcome Binder about the importance of reviews - Not only for me to know how I'm doing as a host, but also for future (prospective) guests looking at my listing and considering whether to book it or not. I make it an educational note, and I do let them know how the Airbnb star system works - That it is NOT like a hotel review system, but more like Uber. I invite guests to let me know immediately if they are not having a 5 star stay so I can try and amend the issue while they are still here. It has been working out great, and many guests have thanked me as they had no idea how the Airbnb review system REALLY works. 

Best of luck to you in your hosting! 

Marilyn115
Level 2
Langley, WA

Thanks Rebecca !

I just might keep my guest book after all!! And also include in my welcome notebook some of your ideas!

Thanks very much for your response!

Cheers! from Whidbey Island near Sesattle

Marilyn

@Marilyn115 I have a guest book and most of my guest give glowing reviews on Airbnb.

Two things that I do is encourage Airbnb in my guestbook. "Share your favorite part, about your stay, here, and leave us a review on Airbnb."

Also, when and if people check out, and say goodbye or thank you,  I let them know that I'll get their review written up ASAP.

I know that I will not recieve a review if:

1) The guest wasn't 98% happy, with their stay.

2) If I recieved zero communication, during stay. 

3) If they left a mess.

Reviews and ratings are stressful, though. I always worry that I'm going to get a scathing review, and my ratings will plummet. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I have a Guest Book, and most of my guests leave long, personal stories about their stay, which all guests love to read during their stay. Only about 30% leave an official Airbnb review, and many undoutedly feel that what 'needs' to be said they already did in the Guest Book. In 350 guest stays over 3.5 years I have only received 120 reviews all told, so this has been the pattern from Day #1. I have ~never~ had a guest that has not been happy with their stay (350/350) and never had a bad review (0/350).

So Airbnb's new 'At-least-50% Trips Reviewed' requirement, to stay being Superhost in the future, works against my particular case; so be it.  There is little to be gained for me to get them to say what would be the same thing for the upteenth time.  The Guest Book on the other hand, appears to have more value, they practically all do leave 'their story' in it; we are on our 4th yearly book.

I am staying booked way ahead (2 years) probably because what 50% do have to say in their Airbnb review (~3 out of 6 guests a month, 4-day minimum stay) appears to more than suffice, and really my constant 'new and coming attractions' which I always make sure to show (via photos) or mention, seems to excite them the most. 

So no Superhost for me in the future; I am kind of beginning to like the feel of it, because it makes me feel somewhat like a bit of a 'radical', which I always been anyway. 🙂

Michael956
Level 10
Salvador, Brazil

I am almost always present when my guests leave.  I thank them for their visit, tell them they are great guests, and then I say: "Can I ask you a big favor?  No rush, but when you have time could you please leave me a review on Airbnb?  Airbnb will send you a reminder with a link.  We Airbnb hosts depend on our guest's reviews, and I'd greatly appreciate it".  I never suggest or mention the words "5 star review" as I think it's tacky to ask for 5 stars, but my little request works wonders and virtually all my guests leave me a review.