Richmond City Proposes Rules and Regulations for AirBnB Hosts

Ashley595
Level 2
Richmond, VA

Richmond City Proposes Rules and Regulations for AirBnB Hosts

Please take this survey to let the city know what you think of the rules they are wanting to impose on AirBnB hosts in Richmond, VA. They are considering a $300 permit, only allowing to book 180 nights per year, rules on wether or not you reside in the rental, rules on the number of occupants per room, rules on tenants having to ask the owner/operator for permission, parking requirements, ect. Please have your voices heard!

Article here with a link for the survey in the 4th-to-last paragraph:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2019/04/08/short-term-home-rental-permits-cost-300-proposed-city-rules/

Here is another link to survey but I'm not sure if this will work:

The survey, available here, can be taken through May 31.

16 Replies 16

How do we get this Protest of Ordinance form back to you?
Also who is speaking/representing the signers during next week's meetings?Protest of Ordinance formProtest of Ordinance form
Kalpana3
Level 1
Richmond, VA

As private individuals and stakeholders in the growth, beauty and quality of life in Richmond our needs and preferences should be heard, even as we are opposed and sometimes drowned out by those who represent bigger business entities such as hotel lobbyists. Their efforts to defeat the little guy are greedy and against the greater good of our community. It is also unnecessary in that I believe there is enough business to accommodate all of us.

I have spoken to several owners of short term rental properties in Richmond and have had many more conversations with Airbnb guests about the pros and cons of Airbnb facilities; I have yet to hear even one person (guest or host) say anything opposing the opportunities afforded by this home stay model. In fact there are many home owners who require these short term rentals to afford their mortgage (we among them). As an Airbnb Super Host I speak from first hand experience the satisfaction and appreciation expressed over and over by our Airbnb guests who would otherwise not be able to afford to stay in the Richmond area and/or would be extremely inconvenienced by having to stay at a hotel far from their preferred location. And that is not to mention the appreciation expressed for a more personalized experience, sometimes even forging friendships that continue long after the guests have gone away. As for the response from our neighbors, they have had no objections, and quite the contrary; the activity of invited guests makes our homes and streets safer by having additional eyes and an active presence within the neighborhood. Please feel free to use any part of this letter during the City Planning Commission meeting.