Ridiculous instant booking policy

Greg-and-Ciara0
Level 2
Uxbridge, Canada

Ridiculous instant booking policy

I have instant book enabled, with requirements of prior reviews, host recommendations, and photo ID.

Yesterday I had a couple who me all the requirments inquire about a week stay in August. I pre-approved them and blocked off the dates for 24 hours.

The pre-approval expired, and she messaged me just now saying she got busy, but is nor ready to book but the dates are not available.

I checked and the dates are marked ‘pending’ by someone I’ve never spoken to. I am unable to unblock the dates.

I called Superhost superhost support to get the hold taken off, and they tell me that someone submitted a booking request who didnt meet my requirements, so they’re holding it for her while she figures out how to submit her photo ID.

My question for the supervisor, how could someone who doesnt meet my requirments possibly tie up my calendar without my approval? Isnt the whole point of the requirements to stop that from happening?

Their answer? I’m sorry sir, that’s Airbnb’s policy.

Absurd. 

31 Replies 31
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Greg-and-Ciara0  They have 24 hours to verify Government ID and hold your place for that time frame. They must have a positive review, but the ID thing AirBnB gives them the opportunity to add.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

It may be absurd, but this has been the case for at least two years. For me, it has always worked out eventually, but on occassion I have needed to help the potential guest get their ID's uploaded.

I think that the "whole point" is that someone who doesn't meet your requirements can't book; not that they can't "tie up your calendar." Remember, all policies are created to enhance AirBNB's agenda; not yours.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Booking requests trump booking inquiries, @Greg-and-Ciara0, on this platform.  You don't need to pre-approve a potential guest that meets your IB requirements, however, you can turn off IB if you want to give a potential guest a window of time to get their plans together.

Having helped a potential guest (friend of a friend) setup a profile, I can see why guests need time to finish the profile.  However, I am not a fan of my calendar being blocked by the process.  

@Greg-and-Ciara0    I am confused. Seems from your post that the "pending" guests booked through Instant Book.  If so, how could they book if you have ID required?

@Ange2  Because AirBnB allows them to book to hold the booking and gives them 24 hours to complete the veification of Government ID. It's part of their policy. 

@Letti0   Thank you, I have never had that happen.  So checking the parameter that states "only people with Government ID can book IB" is disingenuous if they can tie up a calendar without it.  Although, I have had quite a few recently that were allowed to book, not "pending",  with no verifications whatsoever. I have only had  "pending" when I approve a booking and their payment is not verified or it's a split payment – another bad idea.

Which brings me to the new layout, you can't see what verifications they do have it just says ID verified or not.  Airbnb is now calling Zhima Credit (a credit rating sytem) Government ID.  My concern is what else is Airbnb allowing to pass as 'Government ID' –  with the old layout at least you could see if it was a passport, a driver's license etc. , now you don't even know what passes, and even not if they have a verified e-mail or phone number.

Anyway good to know about IB. Thank you.

p.s. Hi @Letti0   Could you please let me know, where is it stated in their policy that: Guests can book IB even when they don't meet the host's requirement of  'ID needed to book' ?

I have looked and cannot see it anywhere. All I see is ONLY guests who meet all MY requirements ( i.e. must have Government ID) can IB.  Guests who don't have to send a  'request'.   I agree "pending" is not "confirmed" but it is still a booking via IB, contrary to what I am seeing in Airbnb policies re: IB.

@Ange2  I was told by 2 different CS rep's. One of the guest booked, but showed pending blocking my days I called and was told this was policy. Another guest could not upload ID I called to get some help for the woman this one was also blocking my calendar, but about to expire. I lost the booking because of the 24 hour hold expiring and someone else immediately booked only wanting 2 days booked in the middle of her 8 days. At this point I turned off the Government ID totally disgusted with it. I now tell them no door code without ID verification and rental agreement it's in my rules. 

@Letti0    Thanks. Interesting, because it is not stated anywhere on the site that I can find, what is stated is to the contrary.  I think Airbnb just make up policy on the fly to cover 'mistakes' and glitches.

@Letti0   Not sure if we are talking at cross-purposes. I am referring only to Instant Book bookings not requests. As I understood it  @Greg-and-Ciara0  had intimated that the 'pending' was for an IB booking, i.e.  it was booked without requiring their acceptance.

I sent a message  to Airbnb, re: IB and being able to IB while not meeting requirements, hosts calendar blocked, 24 hours for guests to upload etc, and this is Airbnb's reply:

"Hi Ange, I am Marco, an Airbnb expert.
Whenever a guest doesn't meet your Guest Requirements, he/she won't be able to place a Instant Book (there are no exceptions or windows to encourage ID verification), instead your guest will be able to place a Reservation Request and it will be up to you to accept or deny the request."Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 6.25.04 PM.png

@Ange2  He's absolutely wrong, both of mind were IB with Government ID. 

@Ange2  Also as an FYI the first one I never receive a notice of the booking. We noticed it on the calendar and that was what prompted my call. 

@Letti0   Thanks. I give up, best to just protect onself and keep an eye out.  Two I had were with no verifications and I would never have seen them had I not logged in because I received no notifications about them either.

@Letti0 did i read that you use a rental agreeement?   do you mind to expound a little on that.  i'm assuming its something off platform and if so, is it (similar to a lease agreement, less complicated verbose etc?) actually enforceable?  i wish to enact some formal rules and requirements that go above and beyond airbnb and was kind of curious if such is "legally 'enforceable'" from a contract law standpoint and whether or not that's something you looked into at all given you seem to institute a rental agreement.  more concerned about "rights" if i ever need to evict someone (with the hopes that i don't) but i want to cover bases. 

(i also got tied up with the ID process...luckily it had no impact but i sure wish we could deflect disable overseas or stateside "undesirables" from even inquiries much less booking requests--no profile pic, no deets, no reviews, no nothing excpet 1 measily useless verification.  i mean who in the world would take that seriously because i won't even bother asking who thinks they should be able to enter someone's home without it...

...seems ridiculous...

...but i learned  something a long time ago about white collar and startup business, its all about the almighty dollar, not employees not clients, not nothing just making money and i basically look at airbnb the same way.  any way they can collect a booking fee, they will).  IB will never ever be for me, but i'm lucky this is more a hobby that full blown income even though that's how i get taxed :-()

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it