Ridiculous refund request 17 days after check out

Azzuri0
Level 5
Ubud, Indonesia

Ridiculous refund request 17 days after check out

So I just got this request "Hello, I recently signed up for the Villa and paid $200 per night. About a week later, the price dropped to $150 per night. I believe this is unfair." -the refund request is for 200 USD, guest stayed with me for 3 days, and checked out 17 days ago- not even anything true in his statement, he actually paid a lot cheaper then some other guests.. how do I reply to such stupid request? 

11 Replies 11
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Azzuri0 well this is a first. It is so unreasonable that I doubt it even deserves an answer. But I would write them that the week before their stay was 300$ per night and that by that logic they owe you 300$ for the 3 nights they stayed and I would tell them that I will be submitting a request shortly. And after they pay you your difference you will oay them their 200$ request. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I like @Ana1136 's funny answer, but really, @Azzuri0 , I would not respond at all. It isn't worth your time. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Azzuri0 

The review window for Your guests stay has already closed, so there's no need to do anything.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Azzuri0   Tell  him that the nightly price changes based on a number of variables, high/low season, weather, festivals and events, etc. and that he is not due any type of refund just because the price of the unit fluctuates.  It would be like asking for money back because you paid top dollar for New Year's Eve in NY but get mad because the room is cheaper in February.

@Azzuri0  I will echo the wise hosts who said, don't respond to this ludicrous request.

The Airbnb Guest Refund Policy does not apply to stays that have already been completed. And you are absolutely permitted to charge $1000 for Monday and $10 for Tuesday if you wish; this does not  mean there was a "price drop" since prices can always go up and down. And as I'm sure you agree, it does not entitle Monday's guest to a $990 refund.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Azzuri0 

Oh my goodness. I think I did this once with a sweater when I was in grad school and was really mad that I missed a good sale. 

Do not even respond to the person. Archive the message so you can't even see it. And whatever you do, do not offer any token refund...it will snowball, take days off of your life, and they will start to claim other things were wrong with their stay. 

Azzuri0
Level 5
Ubud, Indonesia

thanks for all replies, I declined his request and explained nicely that he is not entitled to any refund, I can now see that he involved airbnb customer service in this request... crazy, I even had smart pricing on for his dates, can't wait to see the reply from CS

Smart pricing probably seems like a god idea,...  But it is not.  Airbnb makes money when your place is rented out.  By that logic alone, one would think that the higher rate you receive, the higher commission they get, therefore, smart pricing recommends a high rate with a high booking possibility....

That's not exactly what they do. Airbnb wants to be viewed as the lower cost alternative to hotels.  

When you turn on Smart Pricing, Airbnb recommends a rate that might seem high to you but is actually meant to be lower than comparable Hotels.

The best solution for automatic pricing or "dynamic Pricing" is to subscribe to the likes of Pricelab, Wheelhouse, Beyond Pricing,...  I promise you your rate will go up, and your revenues will go up. The only thing that might go down is your occupancy...  But then that only means less work. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"Hello, I booked a flight on your airline from London to Paris a month ago and took that flight and now I see the ticket price has dropped. I believe this is unfair."

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Prices are subject to change according to supply and demand. End of story. If prices go up after they book, do you get to bill them more? LOL

I would make up a white lie and just tell them that it's Airbnb's smart pricing changing the prices. Tell them that even if you could change prices on the fly when requested by guests, you would then be vulnerable to a discrimination lawsuit from the next guest who does not get the same discount, which is true. The first rule of being a landlord is always sticking to your guns. I learned that in a Nolo law handbook.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

What a ridiculously unjust request! And now he's has involved customer service? So outrageously entitled and RUDE! I wouldn't be surprised if Airbnb gave him a partial refund/discount.