Ridiculously picky guests

Roberta150
Level 7
Flagstaff, AZ

Ridiculously picky guests

Has this happened to anyone? In my listing, which is also my home, I use energy-saving light bulbs. This morning my "holistic" guests in town for a massage class complained about them, telling me they contain mercury and should be replaced. They preceded it by saying "Your place is so wonderful, clean, and amazing, but we were surprised to see..." After the morning encounter with them, I stayed in my master bedroom until they left since I was at my limit of politely smiling during their rude attack and unwarranted fears. The trace amount of mercury is only a  slight danger if the bulb breaks and is mishandled during clean up - highly unlikely for a guest unless they remove it from the light and send it crashing to the ground. The energy saved versus regular bulbs is huge and great for the environment. I hope they don't mention it in their review.

This is second only to a similar "health-minded, holistic" guest who grilled me first on the tap water, "Is it chlorinated or fluoridated?" - NO, not in Flagstaff, AZ plus there's a Brita unit for guests in the refrigerator. Then when he found out I use bottled water for the Keurig machine (to avoid any build-up), he had to tell me that "all" of it is tap water - not true BTW, it's only certain brands I don't buy. Sigh. Again, smiling, nodding, and thanking him for the valuable information while seething inside. If a guest is so picky, they should bring their own water from springs purified by the Gods or maybe stay at home! 

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm curious if other hosts have had these types of ridiculously picky, demanding guests.

17 Replies 17

I have asthma. My condition is my responsibility. Lots of things can trigger an attack. Making the host responsibile is nuts.

If you leave the windows open, you will get bugs. Especially when you are up half the night. My guest found a pile of bugs under her bed. Because she was inviting them in. I won't go into the lengths I went to trying to keep her happy, because I was a fool. It's $23CAD a night. 

To keep things in perspective, I just read the TA reviews in my city for a 4 star hotel that costs at least 6 times as much. WHAT an eye opener! 😀

Kokomo0
Level 1
Umina Beach, Australia

we have been doing airbnb for a few years loving it so much so we have added more unique spaces..i have found it increasingly frustrating and am after some help....i once read something a host had written in their listing cleverly warding off picky guests discreetly....our most recent hosting experience were told by our guests there was a cockroach "infestation" later upon ringing them it was later discovered there was 1! ...we were told the day they checked out...and they were given a FULL refund by AIRBNB... we have 2 professional cleaners, a weekly garden maintenance man plus my husband who has quit full employment to by fully employed to keep things maintained ...finding it frustrating and bending over backwards to please unpleaseable guests...i would LOVE some suggestions..as would like to work something into our listings description to ward off super picky guests... looking forward to hearing from you x

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Roberta0

For some light hearted relief look up You tube

JP Sears How to become gluten intolerant.

It sums up the mind set of these touchy feely virtue signallers!