Riverside County, California Ordinances 495 (HOTEL) & 927 (STR) Contradict Each Other!

Matt6
Level 3
Port Angeles, WA

Riverside County, California Ordinances 495 (HOTEL) & 927 (STR) Contradict Each Other!

Hello fellow hosts, 

As some local hosts in Riverside County may know, there was a new ordinance (Ord. 927) passed erlier this year (2016) that outlines what a short term rental is, the new permit process, etc.  Today, while I was reviewing a packet I recieved from the Tax Collector's office, I found that the Tax Collector in Riverside County is using an old ordinance (Ord. 495) as their stated basis for collecting back tax.  Upon inspection, ordinance 495 and the new ordinance (927) have descrepancies between them - mainly in the definitions of what a hotel is and what it is not.  Based on the tax collectors position, they are labeling all less than 30 day Airbnb/ VRBO short term rental owners/ operators as 'hotel owner/ operators' and attempting to collect taxes with from this position.  Accorting to ordinance 927, a short term rental is not a hotel - merely a private residence.  I also contacted the busines registration department with Riverside County and they said that I do not need to obtain a business liscence to operate a short term rental -- so technically speaking, owning a short term rental is not qualified as a business according to the Riverside County new business registration [department].  

Ordinance 495 and 927 essentially contradict themselves.

Are there any hosts here that can offer a closer legal review on this matter?  

Thank you,

Matt

5 Replies 5
Amanda253
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Sec 9 of 927 states: "Section 9. TRANSIENT OCCUPANCY TAX. The operator shall comply with all the requirements of Riverside County Ordinance No. 495, the Uniform Transient Occupancy Tax Ordinance. For the purposes of Riverside County Ordinance No. 495 only, a short term rental shall qualify as a “hotel.” The Treasurer Tax-Collector shall be responsible for the enforcement of the provisions of this section and Ordinance No. 495 and shall have no other enforcement duties related to this ordinance beyond these responsibilities."

Angela954
Level 2
Riverside, CA

I am new to Airbnb and we just a home in the wood street neighborhood. We have a guest house that we are wanting to use as an Airbnb. My limit of how long a person can stay in our guest house is 10 days? Where do I fall under the law? Short term rental? And what are my requirements? 

Any updates on this topic?

Debbie297
Level 2
Riverside, CA

I recently send 2 applications along with a check along with the Transient application.  Both applications and checks have been returned to me. Not sure what the city requires for STR.