Rolling Reservation Change - Guests keeps altering reservation

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Rolling Reservation Change - Guests keeps altering reservation

I have a guest who for the past four months has been constantly rescheduling a four day booking, usually waiting until about two to three days prior, then asking the reservation to be changed for a date several more weeks out.  Each time, they sent a non-descript message stating "I had to change my trip".  The first two times I didn't think anything of it, but now on the fourth time I am getting suspicious and wondering if this is some type of scam.  The very last time this happened (yesterday) the guest also asked to shorten the number of days then sent a message about wanting me to wire the refund difference over Zelle.  I accepted the alteration but informed the guest AirBNB handles refunds directly.  Does this seem suspicious to anyone else?  The account has only one others review, five stars from about a year ago.  If it is a scam, I can't figure out what or why.

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Anthony608 

Stop accepting the changes. Enough is enough.

@Emiel1- What I cant figure out is what they are up to.  Why they are doing this.  I don't think this is legitimate.  When I take trips, I have never once had to constantly postpone a weekend stay in another city four times, each time putting it another three to four weeks out.  The only thing I can even fathom is maybe some type of scheme to get a double refund, ie change the dates of the trip each time, then ask for money to be wired from the host while at the same time getting the refund also from AirBNB.  But as hosts, we would know not to send money outside of AirBNB.

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

@Emiel1- Yes most definitely a scam.  Just a few days ago, tried it a fourth time to move the reservation out another month, no communication or message why.  I declined and then didn't show up for the booking.  Very obviously some type of scam.  Perhaps booking properties and then trying to get refunds without actually cancelling?  Then repeating everytime the hosts moves the booking?  That's the only thing that makes any type of sense.

@Anthony608   It seems a bit like those scams where someone pays for a purchase with a check, but writes the check for too much, and asks for someone to send the difference back in cash, or to some other person, and then the check bounces.

Did the booking actually get paid out on a valid credit card ?

@Michelle53- Yes, the room was booked about four months ago and the payment was posted through AirBNB.  Then, like clockwork, every month about 24 hours before check-in the guest submitted an alteration request to move the booking exactly a month out.  The first three times there was a non-descript message "my trip changed" or "trip was moved".  Then, this last month, no message just another change request this time 12 hours prior to check-in again to move the reservation exactly one month out. 

This time I declined and suggested they cancel the booking.  The guest did not reply, did not arrive (to be fair, we kept the room ready and open) and then payment was sent by AirBNB after the booking.

I have zero doubt at this point this is some type of a scam, although I cant figure out what exactly this person was up too.  I know its scam, because if this had been legitimate, like a conference or classes constantly being moved, a normal person would have sent a very specific message, explaining what was going on in detail, and probably apologizing for the delay.  Or simply cancelled the reservation.

I wonder if they are operating multiple accounts, making bookings then changing them, and then perhaps somehow trying to get a refund through AirBNB even though the reservation is still active.  Then moving the reservation again and repeating the process.  But, as much as we rag on AirBNB customer service, they are not that dumb and would probably see through such a scam.  That's why this doesn't make any sense. 

In any event, the guest is off my calendar now so whatever he was trying to do I guess is over now.