Room is rented for one but........

Christine498
Level 2
Pembroke, Bermuda

Room is rented for one but........

Could someone please give me input as soon as possible?

I am renting a room within our home on airbnb, it is strictly for ONE person and I just bumped into the young man's girlfriend coming out of the bedroom!

We have many financial issues in Bermuda such as when we run out of rain water we have to buy water and electricity is super high.

That is why we rent to only one person.

Please tell me how to deal with this in a kind but firm way!

thanks

Christine 

16 Replies 16

I have had a similar problem with guests brining back people and invitieng frends to stay durring their stay without asking. After adding the following house rule it stopped. "The rental only accommodates the person, or persons, it is booked for during the agreed time period."

The best way to avoid problems like this is to make sure your guest understand when reserving the room. Make it very clear that it is only for one person by making it one of your house rules. You could add a short explination that becuase it is an island, there a limited supply of fresh water, and your unit only can support one guest at a time.

Hope this helps!

Took a close look at your listing and by the photos and listing you can tell the room is menat for one person. I would still add a house rule to remove any doubt that it is okay.

In dealing with your current renter. I would let them know that your unit only can support one guest and that is why you only list the room accomidates one guest. Let them know it would be a hardship for your family to have to pay for the extra costs invloved, and that you will have to charge them for those extra costs.

Thanks Anna have changed on my page hope it works:)

Ron103
Level 8
Galveston, TX

Use your AirBnb messaging so you have a record.
Be polite, point out this is awkward for you to bring up.
Point out the listing is for one and you will be requesting the payment for two.
You could discount it if you want.
It is either that, so nothing, or cancel for cause.
However, you need to put in several places on you listing, that you can only house one guest, not one guest and their partner.
Otherwise ABB is going to hedge on backing you up.

Hi Ron I just confirmed our conversation on ABB messaging.

What would you charge for the other person?

Just wondering .......

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Hi @Christine498 I see that the max. occupancy, if I try to book, is 1 person. However, it looks like you do not have thorough house rules to prevent this kind of situation. Unfortunately, some people do not have common sense/do not care about following the contract and try to break it.

I suggest that you update your house rules to be more detailed with things that are important to you such as not allowing any extra guest/visitor. Spend some more time in the forum to learn from other host's experience to help you improve your listing.

Personally, this is the first house rules I have in ALL of my listings (yes, including the entire apt that I rent out) > • No unannounced extra person, visitor, or guest other than you is authorized in the unit at any time day/night. Failure to comply with this agreement will cost our agreement without refund.

With having that in the house rules, it helps me/makes it easier for me to enforce it because guests are REQUIRED to agree and follow house rules.

For now, it is up to you on what you want to do with the situation. You have the rights to ask her to leave because she is not an authorized guest in the reservation. You can also let her stay and ask for an extra person guest fee to the guy, but keep in mind that you do not have any of this information (extra fee in the listing since you only allow 1 person).

If I were you, I would ask her to leave immediately and send a message to the guy using the airbnb system summarizing what happened and that what he did was not allowed as the reservation is only for 1 person.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Christine498 I would be pissed if this happened in my space. It is not acceptable and I would immediately have a strong chat with the registered guest. I'm usually easy going, but not in this situation. I would kick up a bit of a stink, as I am sure your guest is aware only registered guests are allowed. I would charge him extra, and if I got any attitude, I'd be on the phone to Airbnb. 

@Christine498

I also host only one guest, and I include in my house rules and description several times that guests are not allowed to bring anyone into my home. The single registered guest is the only person allowed to enter my front door - and this is non-negotiable.

When I screen guests this is one of the firrst things I check as I ask "did you read ALL of the house rules and descriptions?" I try to be flexible about most things but I make it very clear that if they violate this rule and bring someone who is a stranger to me (host & home owner) then they will be asked to leave immediately. The guest is the only individual I agreed to host, so I will not be polite or kind about the guest bringing some random stranger into my home. 

I want to thank the 3 hosts who responded as someone new to ABB your input is very helpful.

I called the guy out of the room this morning and made things very clear to him so she will not be staying in the room.

I made a huge mistake not putting this on my page.....I live and learn:))

Thanks again.

Send a request for money thru the Airbnb page too.

Bridgette5
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Hello AirBNB I'm a new host this weekend I'm hosting my first guest. She's warm and friendly and she loves my place I had a guest gift basket on arrival and a welcome basket with toiletries. She booked my place ten days ago she was a late check in last evening but she and spoke and I knew she was comng late. My Dashbroad say's I've earned $175.00 I havn't reccieved any funds through my paypal account. Would someone please advise me how this work process and the time line to receive the payment in my account. 

Here you go, @Bridgette5https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/425/when-will-i-get-my-payout

Get to know the site and policies really well. As a new host, you won't regret the time spent!

It will usually transfer the day after they check in.
So, if they checkin on Monday afternoon (regardless of what time they actually arrive), you should get you payment in paypal by around 5pm on Tuesday.
It can take longer, but if it does, call and ask what the holdup is. that usually gets it taken care of.

Also, has you paypal account been verified by AirBNB?
I think I remember that having to be done somehow.