Rotterdam: long stay rules?

Rotterdam: long stay rules?

Hi All!

I am posting this to the Amsterdam/Rotterdam community as I am an host in Rotterdam. Because of my work, I am often abroad and decided to make my apartment available on Airbnb. Everything went well, with a few people staying in part of my apartment for a few months at each time. I was thinking to rent out also my own room in the apartment, because I will be out for a couple of months, and notified my neighbor about that idea, as we share a staircase (my apartment is split onto two levels, as well as my neghbor's). The neighbor told me that this is illegal, because long stay rentals on Airbnb are supposed to be 'incidental' and should not happen all the time. Beside the fact that my room has never been on AirBnB, because I am using it when in town, and it just sits empty for the rest of the time, I cannot find what the rules really are. I want to stick to the law, and eventually rent out my unit only if that is legally possible: the neighbor blackmailed me saying that if I will rent out my room upstairs, she will report me at the Community (not sure what that actually means) and my guests will be kicked out immediately. Any advise?

9 Replies 9
Liam36
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Don't worry about money you haven't earned. Earn the money and if your wrong your wrong but if there no problem then 🤑🤑🤑

Liam36
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Don't worry about money you haven't earned. Earn the money and if your wrong your wrong but if there no problem then 🤑🤑🤑 have the guest pay for 1 night then for night 2+ see how they want to proceed

Thanks Liam. My concern is not really about the option of renting out the room or not: it is my place, and I believe I am free to do with it whatever I feel right. Still, I would like to know whether there are specific rules, in Rotterdam, that regulate long term stays: for instance, sombody advised me that a contract with the guest is compulsory, although there is already an agreement that we both 'sign' through AirBnB. Others say in certain towns the lon-term renting is not allowed. I would just like to know whether there are laws about this, or not.

Moreover, in this specific case, the issue is not between host and guest, but between neighbors, which may have repercussions on guests, who obviously have no responsibility in this whole thing.

Hi Andrea,

A little unrelated to your question - but I thought maybe I can help.

I work freelance in Rotterdam. I host myself, and am also looking for part-time work as an Airbnb co-host.

Do you need help when you're away? Let me know if this is the case.

Best

Alice

Thanks Alice,

I will certainly keep this in mind. As for now, I am good, and will contact you if the situation changes.

Best,

Andrea

Hi Andrea - I would appreciate any advise you have on the matter as I likewise will be airbnbs in Rotterdam. Thanks J 

Adriana395
Level 1
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Hello, 

I was reported by neighbour for illegal activity around our house due to Airbnb. I received letter from Gemeente to come clean what I am doing. Now my Airbnb is official. I paying tourist tax which is 4,5% from whole amount you earn per month. Additionally it is consider as extra income. That are so far all regulations which apply for Rotterdam. I know they coming with new rules about rental period but nothing is yet approved. 

In a case of your neighbour it is tricky due to you share stairscase. He is concern about his safety, noise level, privacy, traffic end so on. If he does not approve there is not much to do about it due to he can heavily damage your reputation on Airbnb (agression towards the guests, arguments or other interactions). Airbnb is based on reviews. 

I will be working in Roterdam from the 2th of february 2020. I need a place to stay - single bedroom with private wc, wifi and use of kitchen. Can anyone give me advice on this subject?   

Jay1270
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

Hi Andrea - I would appreciate any advise you have on the matter as I likewise will be airbnbs in Rotterdam. Thanks J