Rule No. 1 for new hosts!!

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

Rule No. 1 for new hosts!!

Do not accept your first booking until youKnow how to contact AIrBnB customer service. FYI you can contact them directly from a tab on the booking confirmation. But also make sure you have the phone number for your area and have it programmed into your phone.

I mean it. This is easiest and most important thing you can do to ensure that you have a good experience as a host. Seriously.

There are so many panicked posts on the boards here, from hosts who have encountered a pressing problem and have only THEN realized that they don't know where to go for help!

PS, in case you haven't already heard: Rule No. 2 is NEVER cancel a confirmed booking without talking to AIrBnB first. How? See rule no. 1

🙂

36 Replies 36

@Holly63 Who collects the tax in your town? Ask that office If they have the deal set up already. Yes, if Airbnb is collecting the tax, it is clearly printed on the guest receipt.

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

You can see any taxes they've collected by looking at your transaction history and then clicking on the tab that says "gross earnings". The rightmost column shows any taxes Airbnb has collected on your behalf. Unless Airbnb has set up a collection/remitting process for your area, you'll be responsible for paying them to your city.

I realized that the security deposit was not collected. Does the host typically collect it at check in then or do we have to request the extra $$ after the guest books our home?

Andrew157
Level 10
Windermere, United Kingdom

Thanks Isobel for that reminder. I have the UK number for the Superhost priority line in my mobile speed dial. Thankfully I have never required to contact airbnb in an emergency situation.

I have contacted them on a number of occasions by email /messages from the app and the issues are resolved speedily and politely. This is the case when reading the site and trying to see if the option was on a drop down list. Perhaps the software reacts comenius such as 'even for an airbnb host you are particularly stupid"

Usually I am contacting them about unusual guest/flaky software interactions - as we have many airbnb newbies

Hi Im also a first time host. According to my transaction details my payout was done on the 28th of December already. But I have not receives anything yet. After my first enquiry I was told that I will only receive my payout after 30 days. Nobody can give me a reason why. I am very worried that I might not receive my payout. 30 daya after what date????

@Amelia57 The 30 day holding period allows for correction in case the listing is a scam or fake.

They don’t want to payout potentially thousands of dollars to a person listing a fake apartment and the host runs off after getting paid.

So 30 days is enough time to sort everything out if there is any problem and gives the guest ample time to file a complaint.

After that, it takes about 1-3 business days to get paid. 

Patience Honey.

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

hi, i am a new host and i dont know the contact details of airbnb...can anyone help @Rene-and-Zac0

Stayed on hold for 5 minutes only for when they finally did answer, I could hear people talking in the back ground but no one would get on the phone. uhhhh

Sorry, this isn't much use in Australia.

I'm not a new AirBnB host, but I don't know what tab on the booking confirmation is being referred to that is supposed to have the local AirBnB contact number. Can anyone advise me?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rosemary89

Rosemary, the Sydney number is 02 8520 3333

They are quick to respond an professional in their assistance.

I hope this helps....

Cheers.....Rob

I’m a new host. Thank you veterans for dropping these pearls of wisdom. Much appreciated. 

Alexandra, you being from Libby, MT (gorgeous place but cold in winter), and showing that scarf makes me think you are barely surviving the cold winter! 🙂

Julie751
Level 2
Mexico Beach, FL

How do you find this information??

Rubina4
Level 2
Saint Lucia, Australia

We have a double storey home, and rent the downstairs bedroom along with attached bath, deck, separate entrance, laundry and microwave and tea/coffee making facilities are all downstairs.

We live upstairs connected by an internal staircase. We like our privacy when we come home, however, as kitchen is part of an open plan upstairs, and we have to provide kitchen facilities, we dont know how to also give ourselves that quality time together without the guest being there all the time too, especially in the evening?

Yes, we are new airbnb hosts, as you'd have gathered! Any guidance would be much appreciated :0) Rubina