Rule-Sets Bugged

Pete27
Level 4
SF, CA

Rule-Sets Bugged

I am a big user of Rule-Sets on my Multi-Calendar. If you are familiar with them, you set a color code for each rule, so you can see different colors for individual dates on your calendar to distinguish which rule-set is in place for each. 

Recently my multi-calendar bugged out and I no longer can see the rule-set colors. With 12 listings, this has turned my mosaic of a multi-calendar into a blank paper... It is making things super confusing.

Is anyone else having this problem?

11 Replies 11
Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

@Pete27 I see the problem too. I use rule sets too for 100 listings. I just tested adding a rule set and the rule seems to have saved but the color stripe is not there. This is a serious bummer.  To follow up generally I suspected a rule set did not get saved recently when a New Year's Eve booking for 1 night at standard rates came in on instant book after I was sure I added the holiday rule set for all properties. 

@Mary419  Thank you so much for chiming in. I'm sorry to hear that it's happening to you too, but glad that I know it is a larger issue than just my personal calendar. I have been speaking to support but they are not super helpful with these kinds of issues...

If I'm not mistaken, I think this is a pro-hosting tool that not all hosts have access to.  

Something else I noticed was that some dates that were previously assigned a rule-set, instead of showing the rule-set I assigned, now say "various"... which is strange because I don't think you can apply more than one rule-set, though you can incorporate multiple effects into a single rule-set. I tested them and the rule is still being applied but it's adding to the confusing and uncertainty.

I can tell that they recently changed some of the rule-set interface and features and I imagine it got bugged while they did that work.

As you know the big risk for us as hosts through this issue is having an inaccurate calendar or pricing and winding up with a guest booking something that should be unavailable, or in your case seriously underpriced.

I'd love to send this directly to user experience engineers if that was possible. I will update this thread when the issue is fixed.

Jeremy60
Level 2
Hilton Head Island, SC

I too am having the same issue with my 36 listings on the multi calendar. In addition, I have a rule to open a day for a 1 night rental and for some reason they keep changing it to "various" so I am not sure if anyone is able to book those days. The color coding was great and now I have to click on each day to find out if I set a rule. Very frustrating. 

I am going to report the bug in the feedback section, maybe they will fix it if enough of us do. 

@Pete27 @Jeremy60 @Mary419 

It is not only the color stripe does not work, but also I found that the discounted is applied immediately to the calendar after you apply the rule set, i.e. the price shows as discounted price on your calendar.

This is not a big deal until you search for your listing as a guest. With rule set, it used to display your original price and there is a discount line showing the rule set discount. This is just similar to a monthly or weekly discount. Now I don't see the discount line and the original price. The discounted price is displayed directly on the booking section. Then what is the purpose to use rule set? I can just block the dates with a price I like to use instead of creating a rule set for the price.

@Jeremy60, where can I find the feedback section to report this? 

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

That’s a really big deal and not a good change. Most of my rule sets involve length of stay discounts and the whole purpose of the rule set was I thought it was a good secret sale so it wouldn’t cheapen the property for the teaser page. How is it operating with length of stay discounted rates? It can’t show more than one rate so hopefully it’s still sort of a secret (I do discount for 2 or more nights in low season for example). This is all to avoid the home page teasing guests with a crazy low price when what they likely want is high season anyway. 

@Mary419 No, it is not. I saw that normal monthly and weekly discount still shows as separated line. But the discount from a rule set does not appear in a separated line anymore. 

I guess that Airbnb just don't want to provide any means for hosts to do some flexible advertisement at all. They want to control hosts how you can adverse so that you will be more relied on them. They may charge you a fee in the future to use some of the advertising tools soon.

Pete27
Level 4
SF, CA

Also, I will mention for the record that when my rule-sets got bugged, so did the little photo icons of each listing on my multi-calendar. The photos disappeared and it's just a blue rectangle instead. Strangely yesterday the photos reappeared for a short time, then they disappeared again... 

Margaret433
Level 2
Kapaʻa, HI

When I apply a high-season % increase, all 15 of my listings end up with the same price - even though they are all base-priced differently.    Now that is a serious bug.  I have had to disable all rule sets and change the pricing manually for the high season.  

Pete27
Level 4
SF, CA

@Mary419 @Jeremy60 @Margaret433 

I found the reason for the rule-set problem

Maybe you guys found this already too but there is a button near the top right of the multi-calendar that says "Show Rule-Sets". I think they snuck this in recently and I did not notice it for a while. You have to click it to un-hide the colored rule-sets that you have in place.

It seems to be automatically set to "Hide Rule-Sets" and every time I refresh the calendar I need to click it to show my rule-sets.

The thumbnails for my listings on my MC are still bugged but at least I can see my rule-sets again!

Joann11
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

After getting instant bookings and having to decline inquiries for shorter stay lengths than I have set in rule-sets, I just contacted customer support.  They acted like they didn't know this was a problem and are reporting it to the tech department.  Their only suggestion to me was to turn off instant booking.  This has really hurt my bookings already and that would do even do more damage.  This is so aggravating.