Run around with Airbnb Cover. Guest admits to Damage.

Caroline2071
Level 2
Olinda, Australia

Run around with Airbnb Cover. Guest admits to Damage.

Hi Fellow Hosts and @Catherine-Powell

Being new to Airbnb, I was delighted to read about Airbnb Cover, until I actually needed to put in a claim. What a Sham !!

A guest and another male drank huge amounts of alcohol, smoked in the house and Successfully managed to damage the timber floor, leaving a HOLE in the floor.

A quote was sent to Airbnb Cover to repair the hole, and patch. Substantially cheaper than having the whole room re-sanded.

The guest admitted to the damage via the Airbnb Inbox...07.04.2022

If it wasn't painful enough having my house damaged, Airbnb have successfully made this drama more painful. All I get is emails telling me the case is with the support team, I have never had an email from the support team confirming they are actually doing anything. Airbnb state that using Instant Book guarantees you are covered for guest damage..  Bull****

Being new to hosting, I also asked for advice on a guest who asked for a discount due to the hole in the floor (which is covered over for safety) no reply to that query..

I have seen that Airbnb is stopping Hosts being able to ask for a bond through the site, Airbnb Cover is going to protect Hosts, we don't need bonds. Another Joke on Hosts.. Seems to me Airbnb are leaving hosts high and dry.

I have turned off Instant Book, it encourages idiots to book, and Airbnb don't stand by Air cover and in fact deliberately give hosts the run around..

My house is MCM, hugely popular with bookings. Making Airbnb plenty of money, cant understand the Attitude from this company.

So surprised that Hosts are not leaving this site in droves, there are other sites out there, curious to hear some responses, and how to actually achieve a result with Airbnb cover.

thank you

Caroline, Melbourne Australia.

2 Replies 2
Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

Oh noooo. So sorry their new version was supposed to be so much better than the old one. This is yet another post showing this is an epic fail. I think shaming them on public social media is meant to get you some attention. You can try describing what happened on Twitter and saying you’ve been ignored by the standard process. I bet they’ll respond to you if you do that but I really don’t support that they make hosts go that far with protesting to get help. Keep us posted as this is all a new era and we are all very very interested 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Caroline2071  Airbnb is just a booking service. Unfortunately, you cannot count on the company to act as an insurance company, in spite of what they promise.

Make sure you have appropriate short term rental insurance and make your claims there, if you must. Some damage is simply the risk you take and the cost of doing business.