SCAM! Beware! Don't allow guests to receive postal mail at your address.

Martin280
Level 10
New York, NY

SCAM! Beware! Don't allow guests to receive postal mail at your address.

I had a guest book a single night and asked to receive a letter at my address. He said he was attending a conference and they would be sending a confirmation code for his attendance here in NYC. He had two positive reviews and I thought it sounded legit. I've also been hosting for four years and never had a problem so I agreed.

He called the day before he was to arrive and said he wouldn't be coming because the conference was cancelled but that he needed the verification code so he could sign up for the next one. I told him the letter arrived. I noticed it wasn't addressed to a person but a business, WILLIAMSBURG IRON PRODUCTS at my Williamsburg address and was from Google Business. Luckily, I'd run a web development company for two decades and this looked familiar.

I opened it and it was a verification code but didn't mention any conference. It said along the lines of, "Enter this verification code into google businesses and start letting customers know you're open for business." I knew this flyer. It was how Google Places verifies businesses are at a physical address. The guest insisted it was in relation to his conference. I called Google Business, sat on hold a half an hour then spoke to a manager and he verified I was right.

The only purpose of the letter is to verify a physical address and had I sent that code to him he could have removed my existing business (Graphic Designer) from that address and put this ficticious one there in its place. He said destroy the code immediately. And I did. 

Be warned fellow hosts!! 

33 Replies 33
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Brenda860 Check the residency rights for your state. Some US hosts have observed guests getting residency rights by staying 28 days or more, then it takes months to get them out. If this is the case don't allow stays of more than 27 days!

Deborah1062
Level 1
Brunswick, ME

Beware - there is an increased number of scams involving potential guests wanting to mail items to your address. They do this for a variety of fraud and scamming scenarios. Often to "authenticate" or "validate" information to illegally obtain bank accounts (for money laundering, mule accounts, etc.) or for check interceptions or create "fake businesses". The stories might sound convincing, but don't fall for it. 

This last one was "Johana" who would be traveling with her husband for their anniversary. She wanted to buy gifts and have them sent to my address. Sounds legit right? It's not. It's a common scam. 

Do not allow any guest to have anything mailed to your home. The only instance is a long term guest staying at the property or a return guest (someone you know and trust). 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Would also be a great way to conduct a home title theft.

Charles134
Level 1
Colorado, United States

WOW been doing this for over 10 years. Never had a issue like this.  Thanks shorttermhomerentals.net