SEMI OR COMPLETELY RETIRE WITH AIRBNB

Chary0
Level 2
Justin, TX

SEMI OR COMPLETELY RETIRE WITH AIRBNB

We enjoyed reading the story about the couple who semi retired in S. Africa.  We live in Texas, and have also built our home over the years.  AirBnB has given us the additional income to finish some of the dreams that we have had for years.  We just finished a portico in the front, and added 5 water storage tanks to supply our trees and garden.  The projects still in progress are a carport, barn, garage apartment, and eventually, a barn apartment.  It is so helpful to have the additional income that makes these dreams come true, at a retired couple's pace.  Thanks again, airbnb.

16 Replies 16
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Chary0 I am glad to know that you have been doing very well. Like some hosts here mentioned by @Emilia42@Paul154 , and @Cathie19 , there are so many uncerntainty and risks involed in operating Airbnb in the following areas

1. Safety and security risk: As a host, you are letting out your property to some strangers who are not screened by Airbnb thoroughly. Just one dangerous guy could ruin your property parially or entirely. 

2. Risk of being delisted and kicked out by Airbnb without explanation. In this forum, many hosts have been delisted for no reasons or accused by some guests with lies. Some of them have thousands reviews with a number of listings.

3. Sustainability due to other factors. You may need to have a big heart and can deal with guests with various background, culture, characteristics in order to survive. And you also need to keep competitive in managing your listings in order to gain profit. With the more and more listings in the area, the difference between short-term rental profits are slowly approaching that of the long-term rental. 

Good luck to us all hosts!

Nancy115
Level 5
Mills River, NC

I host in my home and I love the interaction with guests. The extra income has been used for home upgrades but it is not enough to retire.  However, for me Airbnb requires a lot of laundry and cleaning on top of my day job. At this time I do not plan to continue hosting into retirement.