SF Bay Area Shut-Down Cancellations

Pamela853
Level 5
Occidental, CA

SF Bay Area Shut-Down Cancellations

Hello Fellow Hosts-

Just checking in to see how other hosts in my region are doing? Looks as if near all of us are now under shut down order. My listing is based in Sonoma County and we received notice of our (pre-emptive) shut-down last night. Spent the evening sending out the dread 'i am so sorry, we have a mandatory shut-down, have to cancel your reservation' messages. So frustrating. 25% of my year's projected income in bookings now toast. I feel badly for guests who had planned their holidays around our beach home, and my heart aches for hosts who were counting on income from holiday bookings to get them through the winter

Curious how other hosts are handling this, imagine there is a huge volume of cancellations occurring? I've been asking guests to initiate the cancellation, and the I authorize a 100% refund. Does anyone have a better way? Seems cumbersome if I initiate the cancellation.

And, just wanting to throw out a voice of support for other hosts struggling with this latest shut-down and loss of income. It's vile, and you are not alone. We are all together in this. Happy to lend a ear for venting, or a virtual shoulder for support. We are a community, am here to support anyone needing a sympathetic colleague. 

In camaraderie,  pamela

4 Replies 4
Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Pamela853 I feel your pain here in the UK.

Here there is a tier system in place which dictates which businesses can open or must close, including self catering accommodation and the tiers are subject to fortnightly review. No wonder traveller confidence in the UK is at an all time low. The most recent Visit Britain survey on mood shows just 11% of UK travellers are taking a domestic overnight trip before March. Our calendar is almost bare until Easter. 

I agree with your approach - I've found the best way is to advise the guest to ask cs for a full refund. I also message cs and say the guest's stay is forbidden by law and they should receive a full refund including the airbnb service charge. This has worked so far, the guests are happy and hopefully they'll book again, and we keep our superhost status (although re-qualifying with our current booking rate looks unlikely).

Pamela853
Level 5
Occidental, CA

@Jerry250 

Hi Jerry-

thanks so much for your response and excellent suggestion. Will concurrently message cs and make sure they give the guest a 100% refund.

Am so sorry to hear of your troubles in the UK. Guess our nations can vie for the most fumbled pandemic response award. It's just been a mess, all the way around. Will take a look at your listing! We have family in the UK (London and Surrey), wanted to visit in 2020, but of course that never happened. Hoping for summer 2021; if your place is anywhere in our travel plans, we'll book!

Meanwhile, do take care. I believe Airbnb is suspending stay requirements for Superhost assessments through spring, so believe you will be able to keep your status without worry. Stressful times all the way around. Many thanks for your response, and take care!! warmly, pamela

Jerry250
Level 7
England, United Kingdom

@Pamela853 Thank you so much. Your listing looks great. We have fond memories (and still the tasting glasses actually) from Clos du Bois on our visit to Sonoma. Here's to  a much better 2021.! Jerry

Pamela853
Level 5
Occidental, CA

Haha! Checked out yours as well, looks fabulous, and you have a very enviable PERFECT review rating (we got killed right out the gate from a crabby guest that lost some deposit for trashing the house, and have been climbing out of the hole ever since). Your place looks gorgeous!! And yes, happy 2021!