SHARE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

SHARE A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE

Anyone have a pleasant hosting or guesting circumstance? or helpful tip? (of which ive adopted a few from these forums, thank you)

I would say on an interesting note that i never imagined id have people from Paris or Italy staying in my home -its kinda cool where people are from. I learn a little more about other cultures everytime.

Id be interested in hearing others

87 Replies 87

@Lizzie  I couldve written so much more but I didnt' want to risk getting another post from someone complaining I wrote too much again....LOL!!!  There are so many memories made that I will cherish them forever.  And yes, what an incredible gift that will be when I get to return the favor and host @Roz4 and her sweet family...they are thinking when the kids are a bit older since they are quite young.  Thank you for letting me know you enjoyed my post....it was fun to write it. And yes, New Zealand is now my FAV place in the whole world now.....for years it was Greece, but now...its definitely NZ!  I can't wait to go back with my husband so he can surf his 9th country. Fiji will of course will be his 8th.  (plans are in the works)

By the way, got a new item on my breakfast menu and its a BIG HIT.....several guests have even asked me how I made it and what were all the ingredients.  Best compliment is hearing that my breakfasts is better then any restaurant they have been to. Can't wait to cook for you one day.  🙂

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

I do feel bad that I am not an attractive host but my condition actually got worse in my first month of hosting when I fell outside my building.  I am three flights up from the ground floor so actually all my guests have been fit but she sounds like a treasure. Too bad she can't have a nurturing environment always like the one you provided for her.  But shouldn't swimming help her with her weight?

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Two ladies from Austrailia left me a key chain and pen that said Australia. I thought it was so nice of them. Another lady from Louisana left me a half finished bottle of Hennessey and some menthols. They were nice as well. 🙂

Wow good for you! I never got a gift lol

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Zacharias0 Hey, do I detect a note of sarcasm there 😉

Zac, you must have had that one moment, that nice experience, in your hosting career where you thought, I will remember that for a long time.

Cheers....Rob

@Robin4no sarcasm. Im pretty easy to please as I dont expect much from my guests. Just arrive on time, communicate and leave the space in the same or better condition than when you found it. In my opinion expecting my guests to impact my life in any manner is expecting too much. This is strictly a limited time transaction and while the people are nice I have to keep emotions out of it.

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Zacharias0 I agree, I never expect any guests to make an impact on my life, but it's so nice when they do! Sometimes someone special comes along and makes a connection with you and that makes being an Airbnb host even more worthwhile. 

@Zacharias0  I sometimes have groups of folks at work who I teach about Israel water technology and they always give me pens too.     Just saying

@Zacharias0    All Australia guest leave pens or kuwala bears check under the bed.      Lol.  

Aussies like to bring tea towels too!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Despite the fact that I may come off as being a bit hard a***d   in my comments on CC I've actually only had really nice and even incredibly lovely guests during my 3 years of hosting (room in my home)! With only a handful of guests with  a slightly annoying habit or other. With most of my guests I have had some kind of messaging conversation to reflect my care and attentiveness on the one hand and on the other hand through their replies allow me to be able to suss them out better. 

Even if I've had somebody contact beforehand about having to cancel or not going to book after an inquiry conversation, I always thank them for giving me the heads up and that I understand as well as wishing them a great stay in the city or that they'll be able to visit the city another time and always welcome to book. Even with people that hadn't booked I've gotten lovely reactions back. In the end we are in the hospitality business you have to be generous even if a move was not going in your direction at the moment.

Except for 2 exceptions very early on, I only hosted  all-female guests or females with their partner. It's hard to say which one of these was the best experience, because I have about two handfuls of upper-creme-de-la-creme guests.

One has an on-the-side growing Burlesque career and whose performances I've attended a couple of times when she's back in Amsterdam, and whom I share things on FB that make me think of her - think of a hula hoop lighting up when twirled! Or a lovely jung female programmer and travel buff from China in whose blog I ended up in and have an occasional email exchange, and recently even got a post card for Chinese New Year while she was on a trip to Vietnam. Plus others, with whom the contact has dropped off, but whom I'd certainly not hesitate to drop a line to go have a drink if I was in their area!

Along the way I've gotten chocolates, a little bag of special salt from their region, a couple of plastic mini plants as typical social gesture from Taiwan, a card with a fold-together Taiwanees (I think) monkey god, a scent candle, incence sticks, a key fob, a tiny glass of delicious Canadian maple syrop cream...

I've had guests from most parts of Europe, North America, parts of South America, New Zealand, Australia, many Asian countries, Russia, but my 'wildest' guest country was Kazakhstan (city of Astana and a sweetheart of a guest).

I very much love my German guests who have been wonderful and even the young millenials still had proper behavior and respect for property and such ingrained in them. Maybe it's my German background in sync with their's that triggers this, though I doubt that.

It's been great getting more insight into other cultures. 

Jesse28
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I started in January renting out my apartment in Downtown Seattle. I was very, VERY skeptical about letting people use my home and things.......Ive had 14 guests to date and every SINGLE one have been awesome! Yes I'm knocking on wood right now, but I couldnt be happier. Been such an amazing experience. Airbnb is brilliant!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jesse28,

This is fantastic to hear and thanks for sharing. 🙂 Are there any particular highlights from your 14 hosting experiences?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Jesse28very cool

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jesse28....Hey in many posts I have seen that expression come up....'Knocking on Wood' when it comes to the unknown.

We don't say that here in our part of the world! What we say is...'I haven't had a bad experience yet,'touch wood' ...the inference being you reach for something wooden to glab hold of to ward off that bad omen! You don't knock it, you just touch it!

This Knocking on wood bit was something that Danny Kaye did in movies in the 50's and we don't relate to 'luck' in any way.

Although totally off topic I would love to know where this 'knocking on wood' bit came from!

Cheers....Rob