SHARING MY HELPFUL HOUSE RULE TEMPLATE

Cammy0
Level 9
Vancouver, Canada

SHARING MY HELPFUL HOUSE RULE TEMPLATE

Hi Airbnb Host Community,

I have been an avid Airbnb user as a guest since 2014, and in the Summer of 2016, became a host. The last 2 years has been an incredible learning curve and my listing(s) today have drastically improved because I picked up new information and ways to host over time. I would like to save new and existing Airbnb hosts some tears and torment from ill-informed guests by sharing with you my House Rules. Please keep in mind that by no means are my House Rules perfect. From time to time, you will still get an unpleasant host experience, but this is the top way to mitigate the chances. My House Rules is and will always be a work-in-progress (any new suggestions would be appreciated!), but since we are a community striving for the same goal of providing a great experience for our guests, I thought I would share it with you all. 

COZY HOME HOUSE RULES: 

As a Superhost, we aim to make your stay as comfortable as it can possibly be! Our mission is to help our guests create beautiful family memories in our cozy home. For us to do so, we would truly appreciate it if you can follow these house rules and confirm that is has been reviewed WITHIN 48 HOURS OF YOUR BOOKING. This is to ensure that if there is any reason the House Rules cannot be followed, you, our guest, will have the option of cancelling the booking penalty free as we have a Strict Cancellation policy. Thank you in advance and truly appreciate your cooperation!

- No shoes within the house.

- Keep noise to a minimum after 10pm.

- There shall not be smoking inside the home. Extra cleaning fees to remove odor and stains may be applied.

- PLEASE WASH YOUR DISHES after use. If dishes are not washed, extra cleaning fees may be applied.

- PARKING: parking is provided on the driveway side by side. Our driveway is suitable for sedans or smaller SUVs. If larger/longer cars or if more than one car, you can park parallel in front of the house where the bushes are.

- We have recently added a Foosball Table and Pool Table in the home for our guest's entertainment. Please return all accessories to their rightful places at the end of your stay.

- Feel free to use the barbecue outside that is set up for our super guests’ leisure use only. The BBQ is to be used by the guests who stay at the home and is not to invite others to the home as it will be considered as hosting a party. Please clean up after yourselves and keep the grill clean. If found left dirty and requires extra cleaning, an extra cleaning fee may be required. You will also need to add your own gas to the BBQ as it is not supplied.

- Please acknowledge that from occasionally, we may leave consumables such as condiments or snacks left behind by previous guests if they are not empty. We try our very best to ensure that it is not expired or stale. HOWEVER, ultimately, it is up to the guests' discretion and inspection to consume these items if they wish.  The host does not take any responsibility for the consumables.

- Please do not rearrange our furniture.

- If you would like to host an event (i.e. wedding, graduation, not party), please speak with us about it first.

- If guests are found to have had a party without host permission which results in extra cleaning, guests will be responsible for extra cleaning charges and in the unfortunate event of the disruptions alerting neighbors, GUESTS WILL BE ASKED TO VACATE THE PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY.

- If guests are suspected of carrying and/or using illegal drugs of any kind, the authorities will be engaged, and GUESTS WILL BE ASKED TO VACATE THE PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY.

- Lastly, because this is an Airbnb community not a hotel, and is also my home when I stay in Vancouver, please be respectful of the property and keep it clean before you leave. (Respect our property and our things)

If you have read it this far, THANK YOU for being a SUPER GUEST! Please reply back with my favourite quote: "EXPECT NOTHING, APPRECIATE EVERYTHING." so that I know that the house rules have been reviewed 🙂

66 Replies 66
Jennifer2752
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

@Cammy0 Hi!  Thank you so much for the ideas!  We have been renting since July and have had a few issues.  The latest one is the one I have a question about.  The renter booked our cabin for 1 person.  Thinking that was probably a mistake (and there wouldn't be enough beds made or towels out if there were more people with her), so my husband reached out.  She informed my husband that there would be 3 coming to celebrate her son's 18th Birthday.  What she didn't mention was that it would be 3 teenage boys and she would not be present even though she was the one who rented our house.  Any ideas on how to try to stop this in the future?  Thanks!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you find out it's a third party. Booking you call Airbnb and ask them to cancel. @Jennifer2752 

I wouldn't accept a third party booking with 3 teenage boys - I'm sure most hosts wouldn't - party and damage waiting to happen 😀😢

I make it a condition of booking that the guest needs to confirm who is travelling with them. 

Jennifer2752
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

Surprisingly our housekeeper said the house was ok.  And, it was just the 3 boys.  However, we didn't know parents weren't there until the boys got to the house. (We have a camera outside.)

How do you ask them to confirm who is coming?  Can't they just lie?  Do you have something mentioned in your listing or house rules?  Thanks!!

Cammy0
Level 9
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Everyone!

Wow- it's been a minute since my first and only post, sharing my house rules. I'm really happy to see that fellow hosts have found it valuable and useful to build upon their own. As the post was originally written back in 2018, some things have definitely changed in my operations. I've revamped the house rules a few times with the help of other hosts, and have found this version of the house rules to be even more clear. It also sets the right professional expectations that hosts should have for their guests, and makes claims much easier to process since the guest replies back with *my favorite quote* and acknowledges the associated penalties that come with breaking the house rules. Hope this helps you too (& let me know what you think about this new version!)

*Please thoroughly read the entire listing description and house rules before booking* As your dedicated host, we aim to make your stay as comfortable as it can possibly be! Our mission is to help our guests create beautiful memories in our cozy unit. For us to do so, we would truly appreciate it if you can follow these house rules and confirm that it has been reviewed WITHIN 48 HOURS OF YOUR BOOKING. Thank you in advance and we truly appreciate your cooperation!

- The total number of guests in your reservation applies to anyone accessing the space during your stay, not just guests staying overnight. If you have more guests over than your booking was made for, you will either be charged for the additional number of guests during your stay or your booking will be canceled immediately without refund.

- Please treat the space with respect as if it was your own home. Please do not re-arrange the furniture. You, as the booking guest, are responsible for any damage or missing items caused by yourself or any one of your guests accessing the cozy home during your stay.

- NO SMOKING of any kind inside the property OR ON THE BALCONY. Smoking is allowed OUTSIDE of the apartment building in the front; please dispose of cigarette butts appropriately.

- PETS: only 1 pet less than 50 pounds is allowed. Please inform us at time of booking. Subject to a $25/day pet fee. Pet is considered unauthorized, subject to penalties if not declared at time of booking. - Quiet Times: 10PM-7AM MONITORED AND STRICTLY ENFORCED

- Dishes are to be washed before checkout.

- If guests are suspected of carrying and/or using illegal drugs of any kind, the authorities will be engaged, and GUESTS WILL BE VACATED FROM THE PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY.

** Violation of these house rules will result in your booking being cancelled immediately without refund

** -VIOLATION FEES

- Extra guest penalty: $100 per extra guest not recorded on your confirmed reservation guest number NO PARTIES OR GATHERINGS

- Unauthorized party/gathering fee: $700

Unauthorized pet fee: $300

Noise complaint fee (After first warning): $100 per complaint

Indoor smoking fee: $500

Extra dish cleaning: $15

Late checkout fee: $50 per 30 minutes after checkout time

Lost keys charge: $50 per lost key

Other Things to Note:

- Please acknowledge that occasionally, we may leave consumables such as condiments or snacks left behind by previous guests if they are not empty. We try our very best to ensure that it is not expired or stale. HOWEVER, it is up to the guests' discretion and inspection to consume these items if they wish. The host does not take any responsibility for these consumables.

- PARKING: Your reservation includes 1 parking space. If you have an additional vehicle, street parking is available on a first come first serve basis.

- If you would like to host an event (i.e. wedding, graduation, not party), please speak with us about it first so that we can determine suitability and provide you an event quotation that includes the use of the building’s backyard.

- Children friendly DOES NOT MEAN the area is CHILD-PROOF. It is the responsibility of the guardian/parent to monitor their children's actions AT ALL TIMES.

- There are 3 security cameras placed OUTSIDE of the property for security purposes only. 1) Facing main entrance of building, 2) Facing backyard of building, and 3) Facing entrance of unit. All cameras are on 24/7.

- Please be advised the water boiler has sufficient hot water for 2 consecutive showers (approx. 10 minutes each in length). If there are more than 2 guests, spacing out showers in approx. 20 minute increments will allow for complete re-heating of the water boiler.

- Please use one appliance (coffee machine, toaster, kettle, microwave, etc.) at a time to prevent tripping of the power. If the power does go out because of multiple appliances in use, simply re-set the power on the fuse panel that is located inside the unit.

Lastly, because this is a vacation rental community not a hotel, please be respectful of the property and keep it clean before you leave. (Respect our property and our things).

If you have read it this far, THANK YOU for being a SUPER GUEST! Please reply back with my favourite quote: "EXPECT NOTHING, APPRECIATE EVERYTHING." so that I know that the house rules have been reviewed 🙂

Thanks for sharing your house rules. I help a lot.  

May I have your authorization to use your template?

Thank you.

Thanks Cam. May I have the authorization to use your template? Thanks in advance. Marcia

Helen2860
Level 1
Houston, TX

Hi,

Thank you sharing this ! I have a question. When is the best time to send this out to Guest?