SICK GUESTS

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

SICK GUESTS

I dont know that there is a solution to this but I now understand how illnesses such as the Zika virus travel from country to country. I had a guest from Paris stay at my home in New York for 2days. She was very sick.

I wouldnt be surprised if the spread of International illnesses gets bigger as Airbnb gets bigger. Just sayin...

6 Replies 6
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Airbnb is no different from other tourism. People come and go.

Beulah1
Level 5
Mill Valley, CA

I just had guests arrive with a sick baby with chicken pox which they claim was not contagious with the icky bumps being visible.  The point is that they needed to warn me before arrival whether or not she was contagious.  Their claim at they only realized this on the day of the trip is no excuse at all.  They concealed this for one day by taking her down to their rooms late at night, telling me she was sick but not that she had the pox.  When I researched it in front of them and later told them I was appalled that anyone would not warn the host,  they were very offended.  Now I write it at the top of my rules - to tell me if any traveler is sick.

How it affects my strict cancellation policy I con't know.

ewww

biggest fear  kids with the pox and other sick contagious people  leaving behind a contaminated guest room/house. people only care about themselves and will lie about anything just to rent a place . 

David3610
Level 3
Arvada, CO

I don't think Airbnb is somehow contributing more to the spread of international disease than any other travel. For one, people renting an Airbnb are probably coming into close contact with less people than if they were staying in a hotel with hundreds of guests in the same building. Plus, getting upset at a sick person for being sick is at the very least, insensitive. As far as I know, people aren't going around being maliciously ill

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Do you understand how Zika is transmitted? You can't catch Zika from another person. The virus is spread by mosquitoes, they are the vector. A mosquito has to bite someone who is infected with Zika, and then bite someone else. And there is a specific type of mosquito that carries it, so unless you have those types of mosquitoes in your area, if a guest stayed with you and was suffering from Zika, you couldn't get the virus from them.

I realize you were talking about illnesses in general, but there is a lot of misunderstanding about what diseases are contagious from others and how.

And every time you go out in public, you are exposed to all manner of bacteria and viruses.