SMS text meassages failure

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

SMS text meassages failure

SMS stopped working for general communication between host and guest causing great inconvenience, wasted time, stress.

CS advises stop using the app, clearly they didn't read the message that I sent, nothing to do with their ~@~+ app, and I told them so.

Known bug, yet still a bug (it has happened to me before).  Is my guest going to give me a poor review because Airbnb are @~@*?  Well probably, will Airbnb give a @**<, probably not.  If they can be so sucessful with such a @/:) product and reviews, why can't their hosts?

9 Replies 9

@Diana495

I think if your guest is made aware that it is a bug within the App and out of your control, then I doubt that would then be a subject to be down scored in a review.

We live in a world that expects 24/7 technological service and performance, but most people do understand that at times ..well..things dont work and bugs do occur....e.g. if you have Microsoft Windows you will take an App bug with a pinch of salt !!

Maybe try a "backup" communication like WhatsApp or Kik or some other Messenger to ensure communication continues

Diana495
Level 10

Dear Mike,

Are you kidding? Airbnb have repeatedly informed me that they don't change reviews, they have given me no indication that they would use any common sense or reason.

Most professional companies strive to fix bugs, acknowledge that they have bugs, allow reviews to be modified to reflect the fact that the error is with them etc etc

Are you telling me that Airbnb communicates via Whatsapp or Kik?

How about Airbnb fixing their bugs, rather than forcing their customers to use other services?

@Diana495  One of the things recently that really irritates me is hearing that the best and quickest way to get support help is to contact them via Twitter. I don't want to join Twitter! I don't have a Facebook account, nor do I want one. To me those platforms are representative of some of the things that are wrong with the world and how people are becoming accustomed to not being able to read or communicate anything more extensive than a 2 sentence tweet.

Why should I have to join another platform, download other apps, when airbnb should be attentive to its users via its own platform? Grrrr.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Diana495 If you cannot receive sms from your guest and that you are without any internet connection just give them a call and explain about this matter.Good luck and happy hosting!!!

I can receive sms. I have got internet. What I don't have is Airbnb platform sending me SMS notification.  It is an Airbnb bug. I have reported it before.  Airbnb have given me the run-around and directed me to 4 managers, except that the fourth hasn't yet been in touch!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Diana495   If either you or your guest are tring to reply to an airbnb text msg which is a notification, that will never work. Those are alerts that there is a message waiting in the airbnb message inbox for you or your guests. You cannot SMS reply to these notifications, ever. 

Diana495
Level 10

Hi Sarah,

I'm not and neither is my guest.

Cheers

@Diana495  Got it. I actually had the same bug back in November. I'm not sure it's actually a bug- I think they may be trying to cut down on the SMS notifications they send because it costs them more $ than push notifications. But push notifications don't work for me- I don't use a smart phone. The SMSs are crucial for me.

After quite a bit of back and forth with support, they finally re-instated my SMS notifications, but it took over a month. At first they insisted that the problem was with my phone provider, or "maybe your message box is full" PULEEEZE, I'm not that stupid.

@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0   It's not always possible to just give a guest a call. My upcoming guest is in Prague and I'm in Mexico and I don't have a worldwide calling plan.

@Sarah977@Diana495 Get some skype credits and use the pay as you go call service that they provide.Its inexpensive if to compare with international call rates.