SMS texting ended

Daniel331
Level 2
Port Townsend, WA

SMS texting ended

Im told by a company agent that AirBnB has ended its SMS texting function. This is a problem in communicating with clients in a timely manner. We are not always in an area with internet connection. Texting allows us to respond to client questions immeadiatley. I hope AirBnB will reinstall this function.

23 Replies 23

Just realized this tonight!! Not very productive at all. I'm with you in hoping they rethink this move! 

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Yes I posted on this a few weeks ago. I am also very disappointed. I don't check my emails as often as I check my texts.

I just received an SMS from the AirBnB system this morning

(relaying a message from our current guest).

What exactly did they turn off?

Hi @Matthew285 - I don't know about others but I used to have all my airbnb messages show up in 3 places 1) Airbnb Website/App 2) Email 3) Text. I could also text directly back and it was logged into the Airbnb site as part of the official record.

Now this texting doesn't happen. So in order to know I got a communication from a guest or prospective guest I have to check my email or the Airbnb app. Not nearly as convenient and I imagine my response time will suffer a bit because of it.

Yes, the same is true for me: messages appear in the web site/app, via email, and via SMS.

I believe you when you say the SMS has stopped for you;

however, the SMS messages are continuing for me.

In fact, just an hour or two ago I had a conversation with my upcoming guest, and I received the Web/App messages,

the emails, and the SMS messages.

I wonder which hosts they stopped the SMS service for, and why.

So true I used to receive text messages back from guests but not lately.  HMMM

If anyone out there has the ability to "text" directly back to a guest after recieving a instant book confirmation or inquiry text from airbnb I would love to know!

I am a flip phone guy, no apps for me, I started this business with just a flip phone and things were fine, now I have to leave work to find a computer if a guest needs last minute anything, I no longer can just text them back an answer, it has to be emailed.

And if a guest responds to my email using the SMS service that airbnb suspended, I wont get it and it doesnt show up in my inbox, so I cant respond and they wonder why I am a jerk. Communication breakdown caused by airbnb, complete joke!

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I always do messaging board with the guest just to keep track ass well with Airbnb once cheack in I give them my Dad cell number to make sure everything runs smooth with the guest as he cheacks them in, in retune I cheack with a follow up though messaging board is just for safety betwee us and Airbnb 

Nev0
Level 4
Manhattan Beach, CA

I stopped getting texts a year ago and even looked at my settings today.....everything looks great.  I also had my payments payout AUTO reset causing huge grief and my reservation confirmation instant book emails about 2 months ago magically went to my spam as they used a new email address from airbnb  causing significant issues.  

Laurie154
Level 1
Williams, AZ

I know exactly what your saying. It doesn't make any sense to me at all. 😞

Has anyone figured out yet who SMS still works for and who is doesn't work for?

It seems for some people SMS is turned off, and for some people it is still on.

This is very puzzling.

Laretta0
Level 2
Makaha, HI

I completely agree and miss this very important SMS texting feature !  Please bring it back IT Dept of Airbnb Platform....All these changes to the websitecan be frustrating and time consuming as I try navigating in a new way....

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Daniel331 Download the Airbnb app on your smart phone and use your mobile data internet to reply to your guests within a few minutes. Notifications will reach the app faster than emails! Good luck and happy hosting!!!

Oomesh, do you work for airbnb?

Seems like an easy solution right? Only if you don't think too deep!

The app is being forced down our throats by airbnb, they have sabotaged our communication via the SMS feature that we all had when we started by stealing it from us, keeping it for themselves and destroying what was a great thing!