STR license in New Orleans possibly delayed?

STR license in New Orleans possibly delayed?

Any advice is appreciated. I'm beside myself! We bought a double in July, started hosting in August. We've had several bookings and are managing the property ourselves so we’re just getting into the swing of it. Wanting to be in accordance with local law, my husband went to apply for our homestead exemption some time ago, but was told the deed and his Drivers license were not sufficient. He needed a utility bill in his name and it couldn't be water. Naturally, the electric and cable are in my name. He was also under the impression that once the documentation was in order, this would be a simple (read: quick) process. So, I added his name to the accounts, waited for a new bill to be generated, and we both went down to City Hall and submitted our application for exemption. All was going swell and then the clerk informed us it could take up to 8 weeks for this "simple" matter of data entry to take place. 8 WEEKS!!! The Short Term Rental Administration says too bad, so sad, but we can't apply for the accessory license until someone gets around to entering our exemption in to the assessor's records. We called airbnb, and though we're not entirely sure the agent understood the nuances of our dilemma, we were told that if we didn't have the license by the 1st of December, our account would be suspended, possibly deactivated, existing reservations cancelled  and guests told to book elsewhere. They'd email us. Lord Jesus, take me now. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? Best case scenario, our exemption is entered in record time (don't laugh) and we get our license without a hitch, but I'm trying to prepare for alternate scenarios. Any words of wisdom?

2 Replies 2
Janelle83
Level 1
New Orleans, LA

Your best bet would be to rent the unit longterm.  I just got done with my uptown air bnb.  I made more money on my unit and it was less time and energy when I rented it longterm.  Of the four groups who have stayed in my unit since I started back up with air bnb, one of them cancelled their payment before arriving, stayed two nights, then drummed up a false complaint that they could not verify with air bnb, and I still haven't gotten paid nor has air bnb called me back about it.  They just keep saying that my complaint has been "escalated as urgent".  So urgent that two weeks have passed and I call every day.  The second set of guests were nice enough, but left me a surprise in the closet, in the form of a carefully folded blanket soaked in piss.  You are better off renting.  Not sure why anyone would want to go through the effort of having strangers who don't give a care about their behavior.  In the second case, I have to ask for restitution and hope that the guest is willing to pay for the blanket.  You will make more money on longterm rent and it is less hassle, believe me, as a longtime landlord.

Wow. That’s disheartening. Unfortunately, in researching how to handle this situation, I haven’t come across a lot of encouraging information. Even this community board seems to be a lot  of people who have had very unhappy experienced and haven’t been thrilled with the responses from Airbnb.