SURVEY: What is your ideal winter room temperature?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

SURVEY: What is your ideal winter room temperature?

My Airbnb guest suite has an open beam ceiling that is not insulated. It's a struggle to get the room up to 70 degrees even with central heat and a space heater. So I'm wondering if there's many people out there who like a cold room of 67 - 70 degrees. What's your ideal room temperature during the Winter time?

15 Replies 15

I like it warmer: 73 or more. But I live in LA and my blood is pretty thin.:) . My dad (who has sensory issues) likes it cold: around 68 or 69. But I do not believe he is the norm. 

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Pete69   I'm in Canada, so my input does not really count LOL.... but my guests like the heat at 73-74 during the Canadian winter.

I also put a space heater in the space that way if they are STILL cold when its 74 they can use the space heater (since I live upstairs and share the same heat). 

You could always add a space heater? Not sure costs of electricity out there. 

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

It's still autumn here. I have two electric convector heaters. 

They are automatic: 19-20 °C bedroom an 20-21°C living room.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

72,5 - 73,5 F  (22,5-23 C)  low blood pressure, sorry 🙂

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

I put 23 for the guests room (electric heater, I turn it on at night and in the morning). As for me I feel normal with 17-19 in winter and windows opened every day. Need fresh air! 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

35C so i Can imagine myself being in the Caribbean 🙈🤣,

@Pete69  normally 21-23C so it’s cosy, winter in London is not that cold temperature wise but super windy so it feels colder than it actually is. But our guests have personal heaters in their room which they can adjust manually and all communal areas are left in that temperature  🙂

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

My sweet spot is 76, my husband likes 74. I had one room that was hard to warm up and some guests fought for it and some gave me lower stars for it. So i think it is super personal. It is fixed now. I found sending a blurb in the welcome message about it with directions to heater and blankets pacified most.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I like it very cool, I keep my heat on 66-68F and still sleep with the window open in the bedroom about 4 inches except when it is very, very cold.  For the airbnb, this is the first winter where they will have their own thermostat, I'm starting at 68F and see how that works, it's just now getting cold here.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Pete69 To be environmental friendly and consume less gas, I would prefer 68F at sleep and 70F during the day when we are at home. Above 70F, is it summer?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Pete69 For me, it would be about 74, but like Branka and Silvia, I also have low blood pressure and am also very thin, so no natural padding. But at night, when I'm under the covers, 65 would be fine with me. I just need some way to turn the heat up before I get out of bed 🙂  A friend I stay with sometimes in Canada uses infrared space heaters in her home and Airbnb suite- you can turn them up or down with a remote, so that works well. They're actually quite efficient, safe, and not expensive to run and most look nice as well.

Ever considered insulating that ceiling? All the heat's going straight out the roof. There's ways to do it that would leave the beams exposed- like fitting rigid styrofoam between the beams.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya,

Great topic @Pete69 

For winter I like 21 degrees PLUS blankets because there's something super cozy about wrapping up!

I'm one of them that hates to be too hot, mind you. It's 7 degrees out today and I'm rather enjoying it... for now!

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great topic @Pete69

During winter I like 20/22 degrees, but I usually just wear a thick hoodie with thick socks. It's usually my significant other who gets cold very quickly.

When I go to sleep, I prefer a colder room. I'm one of those people who wouldn't mind sleeping with the window halfway open during winter (The heater would be turned off of course). I know that the "open window" part is not possible everywhere on earth due to different weather circumstances, but it just feels very nice to breathe in some fresh air :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Canadian here, @Pete69 , and in the house we have it 20 C (approx 70 F) by day and 15 C (approx 60 F) by night. 

In the treehouse, it's a woodstove, so I don't know, but judging by melted things, I suspect they nearly hit the boiling point there 🙂

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Pete69 

All my rooms are controlled via an app (Drayton wiser) so that when rooms are unoccupied the heating is turned of for the empty room.

Otherwise;

During the day I have it set at 20c (68f),

Boosted to 22c (71f) (5.00pm to 10.00pm)

down to 20c (68f) (10.00pm to 6.00am)

Then 24c (75f) 6.00am to 8.00am,

back to 20c (68f) until the 5.00pm boost

Seems to work OK, but found guests from hot countries arriving in the UK during winter tend to really notice the cold far more than the natives, so always ask if they are warm enough, so easy to open the App and turn up the heating by a few degrees for their room.

With this App the guests are unable to control the temp themselves. and keeps the heating at a realistic level. Of course additional blankets are always available for those whom like to have wieght.

One additional feature is that there is an automatic open window detection, so that the heating is automatically switched off in their room if they open a window and let all the heat out.

Will not be accused of heating the planet at my expense