Safe guards for zero review guests

Shelly-and-Carter0
Level 2
Berryville, VA

Safe guards for zero review guests

Lately we've had a number of zero review guests trash things and smoke up our houses. These people never reply to damages and assumably drop their zero review account and make another. 

I'd really like the ability to set up a damage deposit ONLY for zero review or negative review guests. 

I don't want to use airbnb's "profile pict" or "positive review" requirements for all guests. I have had many great guests with no profile picts or non-face pict.

Anyone have a way to implement this?

9 Replies 9
Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

No to my knowledge - the security deposit applies equally to all guests.  Why wouldn't you secure a deposit from everyone, though?  You know that their card isn't actually charged when they book, right?  It's better to protect yourself than relying on the Host Guarantee - do you think AirBNB would rather spend the guest's money, or their own?  Credit card information is kept on file when you 'charge' a deposit - there's no hold placed on the actual card so you don't have to worry about scaring guests off with a heftier sum.  If/when you file a claim, and the guest doesn't respond or declines payment, only then will AirBNB charge the card if you've escalated it to them and they agree with your claim.  Good luck!

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Shelly-and-Carter0 

My Guess Shelly is that such guests who do these things are locals or live very nearby (within 1 hour) correct? I use the "profile pict" and  "positive review" requirements for all guests. It doesn't slow my bookings down. It just allows me to be more selective.

After many bad experiences, I just turn down at least 50% of local bookings. If its a local booking for just the weekend, I turn down about 75% of them. If it is a local booking for 4 or more days, i generally accept. Also, you can ask locals to send you government ID before they enter your home. That will make them behave a little better. My house rules state all locals must supply ID before check-in.

Read the fine print, everyone : there is no security deposit on Airbnb, in the literal sense. No matter what amount you specify, it is not charged or held at the time of booking, and it doesn't appear to have any significant bearing on the amount you might receive in the event of a damage claim. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Shelly-and-Carter0 How was the guest's communication before the stay? That is a huge indicator of what type of guest they will be.

For instance a guest that says "Hey, how big is your TV? Friends might come over to watch the game," is a totally different guest/experience then the one who says "Hi Shelly, your place looks great! I have some friends in the area and was wondering if we could get together for a few hours on Sunday to watch the game. Is that okay? You are welcome to join of course!"

Were there any red flags in previous communication that you can now look out for?

Shelly-and-Carter0
Level 2
Berryville, VA

Thanks for all the great feedback folks!!

We will consider the damage deposit for all since I now understand how it works.

As for the bad guest M.O., we are in a high tourist area so we don't have many locals, and I can't really say there is any commonality for the abusers. Maybe younger (under 30), groups of friends more likely than couples, and event attenders e.g. attending a wedding.  But then again we've had some 18 year old guests that have been among the best...

I think we have only had one problem guest that had multiple reviews. All our other bad apples have been zero review guests. For what it's worth.

Thanks again everyone!!

1. Implement a robust verification process: Require zero-review guests to provide valid identification and contact information before confirming reservations to ensure accountability.
  2. Security deposits: Implement a reasonable security deposit policy to protect against potential damages, providing a financial deterrent for any misuse or negligence during the stay.
  3. Clear house rules: Clearly communicate and enforce strict house rules to set expectations for behavior, minimizing the likelihood of issues arising during the guest's stay.
  4. Monitor and communicate: Regularly monitor guest activity and maintain open communication channels to promptly address any concerns or violations, ensuring a safe and secure environment for both hosts and other guests. Go Now:- **

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

For guests with zero reviews, implement stringent security measures such as requiring additional verification steps, such as ID verification or phone number authentication. Employ a deposit system to mitigate potential risks. Additionally, limit access to certain features for users without reviews. When it comes to ** exercise caution and only download from reputable sources to avoid security threats and potential scams.

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Hi @Shelly-and-Carter0 

Airbnb doesn't allow hosts to charge a security deposit unless you are connected via a channel manager for your listings unfortunately. They require hosts to rely on Aircover and the Resolution Center for damages caused by guests. You could turn OFF instant book and screen guests more thoroughly, but of course that affects your SEO rank. Sigh 😥.

Security Deposits

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140

"Hosts aren’t allowed to charge guests a security deposit through our Resolution Center or outside the Airbnb platform. Instead, we inform guests at the time of booking that their payment method may be charged if they cause damage during a stay. There is one exception: Hosts who manage their listings with API-connected software can set a security deposit using our offline fees feature. If a Host has done this, the deposit requirements will be clearly communicated during the booking process."

If by "zero review guests," you are referring to users who have no prior reviews or reputation in a particular system, platform, or community, implementing safeguards is crucial to maintain security and trust.  

These safeguards can be adapted based on the specific platform or community you're managing. Adjustments may ** be necessary over time to address emerging challenges and maintain a positive and secure environment.

**[Link removed - Community Center Guidelines]