Safety concerns

Carmen1600
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Safety concerns

I booked a two night condo stay with my teenage daughter, new 16 year old.   I went out our first morning there to get breakfast while my daughter was sleeping. We arrived quite late the night before after an 8 hr drive. I was gone about 30 min. While I was gone, the exterminator came into the condo. My daughter said she was awakened by someone knocking. She got up to open the door thinking it was me needing help with the lock. Before getting to the door, a man entered the room. He told her he was the Exterminator. She said to come back later and he left. I reached out to the host explaining my concern for safety and that a simple text or call would have allieviated the problem. The host had my telephone number as we had texted the night before due to a toilet issue.  The host also knew I was traveling with a teen. The host was unable to perceive a safety issue for my daughter or even a liability issue for the Exterminator since he was unacompanied with a minor. The interaction did not end well with the host and I reported my concern to Airbnb. I would like to leave a fair review of an otherwise good place to stay. However, the host lack of awareness of this potential safety risk is alarming. Families should be informed.  

35 Replies 35

@Laura2592 she said, "Before getting to the door, a man entered the room." By which I think she meant, before her daughter got to the door to open it, the exterminator let himself in. IMO this is completely unacceptable.

@Lisa723 ah, I misread that as the daughter let him. My bad. Yes, if someone barged into your space unannounced or unanticipated, I would definitely let the host know and might elevate it to Airbnb.  It seems very very odd that an exterminator would do such a thing. Even when I rented apartments they knocked and waited to be invited. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

It would be one thing for the host have forgotten that the exterminator was coming, or forgotten to warn the guest, but when the guest contacted the host, the host didn't apologize, it appears that she acted like this was a normal and acceptable thing that they had no reason to be upset about.

@Laura2592

@Sarah977 I have had hotel maids walk in unannounced when I was getting out of the shower or if I had my Do Not Disturb sign up, so I guess I think this isn't quite as unique as others do. Was I happy that a hotel maid came in at a time they were not supposed to? No. Was I freaked out a bit by it? Of course. I can totally understand where the OP is coming from with regard to her daughter's safety.

As I said, its all in how the host handled the situation. If the host was defensive or nasty I would have escalated this. If the host was just explaining that this is a service provided to keep a place free of bugs and profusely apologized I would not have given it more thought. I guess I don't want to jump to the conclusion that the host was defensive and nasty? If he/she was, maybe the OP will come back and tell us. 

All we have is   "the host also knew I was traveling with a teen. The host was unable to perceive a safety issue for my daughter or even a liability issue for the Exterminator since he was unacompanied with a minor. The interaction did not end well with the host and I reported my concern to Airbnb." As a host myself I can't guarantee that maybe a census taker or a neighbor won't knock on the door with a teen present alone. Perhaps the host knew the exterminator was coming. Perhaps not. We don't know if the host tried to resolve this with the guest and the guest was too upset to accept a resolution, or if the host was just rude and the guest had no choice. I look at this as what would I do...apologize, offer some kind of discount, listen to what the guest's concerns were. And maybe that is what the host did, but it wasn't enough to make the guest feel comfortable. I would love to hear more about what happened. 

@Laura2592  I think the crux of the problem here is that the exterminator entered the listing unannounced. Different if they had just knocked on the door.

@Colleen253 yes I agree. Its unacceptable. But as I say, I have been in situations in hotels where staff have entered unannounced or when I had my sign up not to enter.  I am not trying to defend the exterminator but I do think this happens. Heck I have had people come to clean my house out of cycle and been in bed asleep as they were hauling their equipment through the front door! Mistakes in scheduling, people distracted and not paying attention, etc. It certainly can feel creepy and invasive. 

Its really all about how the host tried to make amends for this. The host does not control the exterminator barging in or not.  The host can't change what occurred. All the host can do is find a solution acceptable to the guest. If the host is not willing to make concessions, or the guest wants more concessions than the host can make, or the host is rude, or the host and the guest just can't reach an agreement, the guest has every right to escalate. 

@Laura2592 The host can and should control service calls to the house, stringently. The fact that the host let this happen is egregious, and telling, imo. How could a service person gain access to a place without the host giving them permission and the ability to do so? So I'm not surprised that @Carmen1600  said 'the interaction with the host did not end well'. It sounds like the host did not respond appropriately, due to their refusal or inability to see the problem. If the host did anything other than express complete horror and apologize profusely saying they will make sure it never happens again, then they should be reported. Offering concessions isn't much of a solution if they let it happen again to future guests.

@Colleen253 I really have to disagree that we can know the host has total control over this. As I said, if the host is renting the place and put it out on Airbnb after not living there for some time, they may have no idea what the landlord has scheduled for maintenance or pest control. As a guest if I am going to an urban area using Airbnb I always want to know I am talking to the owner of the unit as a) it might not be a legal STR unit and b) a tenant or subleasor may have very little accountability if things go awry.  Does that make for a good host? Nope. But there are hosts like this out there. 

I am just trying to give the host the benefit of the doubt. As the story is told, yes, the host is in the wrong and understandably. Perhaps the OP will give us more details. I just hesitate to rush to judgement.

(And I hate to disagree with you @Colleen253 ! I think you are awesome.)

@Laura2592 Yes, perhaps she will. And I think you’re awesome too 😄. It’s ok to disagree with each other! Alternate points of view are always a good thing. 

The man was in the condo when my daughter emerged from her sleeping area in her pajamas. Thank goodness she had the mind and confidence to tell him no and come back later when he said he was there to spray the condo.  The host was not apologetic in the slightest, but felt the concern was overblown.  He simply could not see any reason for concern, nor was there any attempt to resolve the matter.  Had he apologized or even demonstrated the slightest awareness of potential harm for my daughter  or other families in the future, I would not have reported the concern to Airbnb. My challenge is writing a balanced review and alert other families of the possibility. Had I been aware there was even a possibility that someone would let themselves into the locked condo, I would not have left her alone.  I have checked the listing again to make sure I didn't miss the fine print to see if perhaps the host may have changed his listing to include such communication. Thank you for your responses. I want to be fair to the host and others in my review. 

@Carmen1600  thanks for adding these details.  Yikes. I agree.  Tye host is totally in the wrong here.  If they knew the exterminator had a key  (question number 1000, why did an exterminator have a key to an apartment or condo? Never in anywhere i lived was this the case.) 

I would suggest saying something like "We enjoyed the location/amenities/whatever you liked about the place but had some serious concerns when a strange exterminator walked in on my teenage daughter in her pajamas without warning.  When I told the host about this, the host was unconcerned.  I can't recommend this space to guests who value their privacy or want notice that tradespeople may be entering the space. "

And then leave your stars as you see fit.

@Carmen1600 , sorry to hear about your experience, sounds like the host could use some remedial host training, its never reasonable to enter or let others enter a rented space without warning and permission from the guest unless there is an emergency (especially with the covid factor in play).  Its completely reasonable to write a review that reflects your experience, it could help the next person avoid experiencing the same. 

One note about security for your youngster cause that's far more important than any review.   I know you were just trying to let your daughter catch a little more sleep (I also have kids and grandkids, I can relate), in hindsight it might be better to wake her and have her let you out then put the door chain lock on if available or just have her come with you if there is no chain lock (something that should be in the review if there isnt one).  Not being at a place your comfortable in adds security risks to a situation that you likely shouldn't have a high comfort level with to begin with.   FYI, there are also small door chock/ travel alarms you can get in case there isn't a chain lock, they both wedge the door shut and alert if someone tries to force the door open.  Just my Security system designer/ installers POV, stay well, JR 

I was concerned about safety in Mexico City using an Airbnb and chose an expensive property managed by a Superhost. However, when we arrived we soon noticed our building had no security at all, and was the only building in the neighborhood without any security. That night a stranger came to our door, and during the next day we found the front entry door unlocked. The next day there was a large party on the roof above us with dozens of guests coming and going all night. I contacted the host agency and then found out the party unit was theirs as were all the units in the building. The host agency responded claiming they knew nothing of a party and it I should have reported it. I then looked up our listing and saw I have missed a previous review where the people left because there was no security. I contacted Airbnb and nothing was done, except to repeat that I should have reported it. Later, Airbnb removed the review I posted as it "violated their terms and conditions."

I'll never use Airbnb again because I've been researching this a lot and found Airbnb never requires any safety on part of their hosts. Airbnb understands they are not liable if the next guest in the apartment I that stayed in and reported to them is robbed or worse, they have no liability and do not want to claim any. My review was evidence of a warning, and was promptly removed.

"Security" means different things at different places.  What is your criteria?

Alarm, locked doors, a doorman, armed security guards, cameras everywhere and barbed wire fence between the houses....

Some of my guests are asking about this and I've never succeed to give a proper answer how my place is "secured". Door with a regular lock is  completely enough here. But I've often receive questions about a doorman, cameras, etc. People's daily behavior is just so different. They are always comparing all other places with the place, where they live.

@Dimitar27 Yup, and location does matter.  Your far more likely to see a suspicious critter (Coyote, Whistle pig, Deer, Turkey, Skunk...) around Bearpath Lodging than one on two legs.   If you see someone walking, they are what we call neighbors around here and they will defend you against the critter not accost or rob you as well as pull you out of a ditch if you slide off the road or come save your life if you have a heart attack (Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue). 

That doesn't mean anyone should ever let down their guard especially when traveling, situational awareness is the one security instrument you are allowed to carry with you no matter what the local laws are, travelers beware or prepare to get the Gringo Treatment.  Stay well, JR